Ha! Put this in your pipe and smoke it Billy!

The Columbus region is quite popular with British expats. Particularly the region south east of here. They say it reminds them a lot of the midlands back home. Since I've never been to the midlands of England I'm not sure what they mean other than that this region is forested and hilly.

The Midlands is anything but forested and hilly, Birmingham itself used to be incredibly ugly but they have rebuilt a lot of it. The Midlands accent is also one of the ugliest in England, so much so that they won't put call centres there because companies are scared that it will put off the punters. I think you probably mean the north where I am, that has all the hilly bits and of course the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales.

The Midlands is anything but forested and hilly, Birmingham itself used to be incredibly ugly but they have rebuilt a lot of it. The Midlands accent is also one of the ugliest in England, so much so that they won't put call centres there because companies are scared that it will put off the punters. I think you probably mean the north where I am, that has all the hilly bits and of course the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales.
Ahh I'd love to tour England. London would probably be nice for a day or two but I'd really rather see the country side.

Ahh I'd love to tour England. London would probably be nice for a day or two but I'd really rather see the country side.

My oldest son is just about to move into a flat in Canary Wharf with his girlfriend and a work colleague from Cisco. Canary Wharf is Yuppie Central in London so he will well at home

As for England I live near some of the best parts of it, the Lake District, North Yorkshire Moors and Yorkshire Dales are within 2 hours drive and the Peak District is almost literally on my doorstep.

My oldest son is just about to move into a flat in Canary Wharf with his girlfriend and a work colleague from Cisco. Canary Wharf is Yuppie Central in London so he will well at home

As for England I live near some of the best parts of it, the Lake District, North Yorkshire Moors and Yorkshire Dales are within 2 hours drive and the Peak District is almost literally on my doorstep.
You'd like Columbus. It's far enough away from Kentucky that it's not infested with hillbillies like Cincinnati and Dayton are and it's far enough away from michigan that you can't smell it.

You and me both, brother!
Oddly Europe is only fourth on my list of tourist destinations. South east Asia is my number one travel interest, South America is #2 and Africa is number 3.

Though if I was to travel abroad with my wife and not including visiting her home nation, Europe is her #1 travel Destination. She wants to visit Paris badly.

So many great destinations and so little time and money to travel. Sighhhh.

Oddly Europe is only fourth on my list of tourist destinations. South east Asia is my number one travel interest, South America is #2 and Africa is number 3.

Though if I was to travel abroad with my wife and not including visiting her home nation, Europe is her #1 travel Destination. She wants to visit Paris badly.

So many great destinations and so little time and money to travel. Sighhhh.

Been to Paris briefly, and I have made a couple of trips to Asia. were I able to live in Asia, I would. I absolutely love it, and I absolutely love, admire, and adore Asian people. They are usually fantastic. A few assholes now and then just to remind you that you are awake but....I love Asia.

Been to Paris briefly, and I have made a couple of trips to Asia. were I able to live in Asia, I would. I absolutely love it, and I absolutely love, admire, and adore Asian people. They are usually fantastic. A few assholes now and then just to remind you that you are awake but....I love Asia.

Careful, if the morons on here know that, you will be labelled a sex tourist. I have to say that in all the years I been going to Thailand since I worked there in the eighties I have not encountered that many Americans. They seem to be terrified of going there especially up north. You do encounter some Vietnam vets now and then but very few young people. I did met a fantastic guy up in Chiang Mai who worked at the university a while back, we got drunk and went back to his house. He said that he had no desire to go back to the States and when I saw his missus I could see why. He actually said that he studiously avoids most Americans as he just can't stand many of them anymore. I think that you would have to go a long way to find a better place to live than Chiang Mai, it is were by the sea it would be paradise.

Careful, if the morons on here know that, you will be labelled a sex tourist. I have to say that in all the years I been going to Thailand since I worked there in the eighties I have not encountered that many Americans. They seem to be terrified of going there especially up north. You do encounter some Vietnam vets now and then but very few young people. I did met a fantastic guy up in Chiang Mai who worked at the university a while back, we got drunk and went back to his house. He said that he had no desire to go back to the States and when I saw his missus I could see why. He actually said that he studiously avoids most Americans as he just can't stand many of them anymore. I think that you would have to go a long way to find a better place to live than Chiang Mai, it is were by the sea it would be paradise.
I think it has more to do with the 20+ hour flight. I have heard a lot of great things about Chiang Mai and Thailand is legendary for its beautiful women. I know that in my travels to the Philippines it did not take me long to fall in love with a beautiful local woman. :)

Last edited:
I think it has more to do with the 20+ hour flight. I have heard a lot of great things about Chiang Mai and Thailand is legendary for its beautiful women. I know that in my travels to the Philippines it did not take me long to fall in love with a beautiful local woman. :)

Well if I go via Dubai or Abu Dhabi that usually takes around 16 hours, although I grant you that a direct flight is usually only 12-13 hours. Actually Chiang Mai is legendary for having the most beautiful women in Thailand but a lot of that is down to their skin generally being lighter.

Yes, the flight is a PITA. But man is Asia beautiful. And not just the females, although they are fantastic.

Well if I go via Dubai or Abu Dhabi that usually takes around 16 hours, although I grant you that a direct flight is usually only 12-13 hours. Actually Chiang Mai is legendary for having the most beautiful women in Thailand but a lot of that is down to their skin generally being lighter.
That beats the heck out of 20 to 24 hours. Never have found a direct flight..but considering it's literally half way around the world from where Ilive....that's not surprising.

Back