‘Hamilton’ review

I figured if I didn’t like the play at least there’d be decent music being a musical.
Music was terrible. The “orchestra “ was a band with a piano player, guitarist, drummer.
FFS, I play more complicated pieces than that hack did on piano. And the guitarist could only strum chords. I don’t think he knew any more than half a dozen.
About 40% of the “songs” were rap. And really bad rap at that.

Imagine an opera that has a shitty band as the orchestra and the vocalists are 4th tier rap artists. If you can even imagine that.

I have the same rules for plays as I have for Hollywood product....anything after 2010 is highly iffy...anything after 2016 is almost certainly crap not to be bothered with without some evidence that it is good.

Hamilton is 2015.

I guess the playwright was trying to make some kind of statement with mostly black actors dressed in 18th century period aristocratic costumes but what that statement was supposed to be was completely lost on me.

To each their own, I guess. I liked it, didn't love it as much as I was supposed to I don't think. My kid on the other hand could not stop playing the soundtrack, he thought it was phenomenal. I think Miranda is a little over-rated, but, worst play ever? Damn, for me, it wasn't even close to that.

It's a bit ironic that Miranda was attacked for making the Founding Fathers all minorities, and then was criticized for making 'The Heights' cast too white. There just is no pleasing some people.

Yeah, it wasn’t Grease or Mamma Mia, nor a John Wayne or Chuck Norris production, so I could see how it went right over the head of a right winger, just couldn’t get over all those minority people playing the Founding Fathers

Yeah, it wasn’t Grease or Mamma Mia, nor a John Wayne or Chuck Norris production, so I could see how it went right over the head of a right winger, just couldn’t get over all those minority people playing the Founding Fathers

The music was bad. The instrumentals didn’t even fit with the rap. It was as if the musicians were no better than intermediate level at best.
There was zero dialogue. Zero.
As to minorities playing the founding fathers, I’d just like to know what the point was.
Maybe you can explain? I’m actually curious about that. Other than mild curiosity I don’t really care. That wasn’t what made the production so… worse than bad.
I went in with an open mind and expected at least some form of entertainment based on the reviews.

Actually I posed the question and sort of got an answer here:

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-ca... the whole,diversity issues, and music styles.

So the playwright likes hip hop therefore he had Founding Fathers performing it in the form of blacks.
Does this make ANY sense? A so called musical with the orchestra a shitty five piece band playing simpleton music out of beginner learning books supporting really poor rap lyrics????

That doesn’t go over my head at all. It’s just consistent with the incredibly poor quality of the whole train wreck of a play.

The music was bad. The instrumentals didn’t even fit with the rap. It was as if the musicians were no better than intermediate level at best.
There was zero dialogue. Zero.
As to minorities playing the founding fathers, I’d just like to know what the point was.
Maybe you can explain? I’m actually curious about that. Other than mild curiosity I don’t really care. That wasn’t what made the production so… worse than bad.
I went in with an open mind and expected at least some form of entertainment based on the reviews.

If such was the case, the production you saw was bad, often the case for traveling shows, especially when they are presenting an eight year old play, all about take the money and run. Where did you see it?

If you went there expecting to hear Kid Rock or Will Smith rap it certainly wouldn’t measure up to your expectations, and it certainly was anything but woke

And the Founding Fathers were played by minorities to show that the ideals and values they defined represented all Americans, that county’s history belongs to all Americans, to move away from the normal portrayal of the early leaders

. If such was the case, the production you saw was bad, often the case for traveling shows, especially when they are presenting an eight year old play, all about take the money and run. Where did you see it?
Alaska Center for the Performing Arts in Anchorage. The last musical I saw previously was Jersey Boys at the same venue and it was fantastic.
I saw Mama Mia in Hamburg Germany. Again, great!
You’re just making excuses for a terrible play. You really think the original broadway show had dialogue? It’s the same fucking show!
The band played different music? Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t the musicians’ fault they had to perform simpleton scores. They didn’t make mistakes. FFS how could they? Professional musicians playing beginner music?
If you went there expecting to hear Kid Rock or Will Smith rap it certainly wouldn’t measure up to your expectations, and it certainly was anything but woke
The only expectation was to be entertained. Other than that I had no idea what to expect. Besides, like I said, it was so bad I couldn’t tell what was woke about it.
And the Founding Fathers were played by minorities to show that the ideals and values they defined represented all Americans, that county’s history belongs to all Americans, to move away from the normal portrayal of the early leaders.

Ok, that’s your interpretation and fine with me. That’s not what made the play so bad.

Back