‘Hamilton’ review

If such was the case, the production you saw was bad, often the case for traveling shows, especially when they are presenting an eight year old play, all about take the money and run. Where did you see it?

If you went there expecting to hear Kid Rock or Will Smith rap it certainly wouldn’t measure up to your expectations, and it certainly was anything but woke

And the Founding Fathers were played by minorities to show that the ideals and values they defined represented all Americans, that county’s history belongs to all Americans, to move away from the normal portrayal of the early leaders

Agreed. I would recommend watching the play with the original cast on Disney+. This sounds a bit like community theater. I've seen some good plays that were unwatchable because the production was so bad. The traveling Broadway Productions tend to be very good. This doesn't honestly sound like that. I saw Hamilton ilive in Jacksonville. It was the Broadway touring cast. I liked it, but the original production was noticeably better.

Alaska Center for the Performing Arts in Anchorage. The last musical I saw previously was Jersey Boys at the same venue and it was fantastic.
I saw Mama Mia in Hamburg Germany. Again, great!
You’re just making excuses for a terrible play. You really think the original broadway show had dialogue? It’s the same fucking show!
The band played different music? Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t the musicians’ fault they had to perform simpleton scores. They didn’t make mistakes. FFS how could they? Professional musicians playing beginner music?The only expectation was to be entertained. Other than that I had no idea what to expect. Besides, like I said, it was so bad I couldn’t tell what was woke about it.

Ok, that’s your interpretation and fine with me. That’s not what made the play so bad.

Same show, but not the same production, musicians nor actors, as I said, traveling shows, especially one appearing in Alaska eight years later is all about take the money and run. I’ve seen Hamilton on Broadway, and a year later in Boston, and although the later was good, it wasn’t the original, can’t imagine what it was like in Alaska eight years later

You just didn’t like the play because it didn’t conform to your understanding of theater, probably also hated Rent, Phantom, Cabaret, and Superstar for the same reason

Agreed. I would recommend watching the play with the original cast on Disney+. This sounds a bit like community theater. I've seen some good plays that were unwatchable because the production was so bad. The traveling Broadway Productions tend to be very good. This doesn't honestly sound like that. I saw Hamilton ilive in Jacksonville. It was the Broadway touring cast. I liked it, but the original production was noticeably better.

Alaska Center for the Performing Arts is most definitely not community theater.
Here’s a sample of the description of the cast.

You can blame it on being in Alaska but even so, it’s the worst play I’ve ever seen here or anywhere for that matter.
In fact I saw a community theater play written by a local in tiny Homer, AK when we were there for Memorial Day weekend and it was better.

You just didn’t like the play because it didn’t conform to your understanding of theater, probably also hated Rent, Phantom, Cabaret, and Superstar for the same reason
Never saw them. Jesus Christ Superstar? At least it had good music. Same with Phantom of the Opera and Cabaret.
Same with Cats.

Lin-Manuel Miranda needs to get out of the music writing business.
I’ve heard better original music from local bands .

I've only heard personal reviews of the play by my friends.

My Democrat friends all seemed to enjoy it.

And my Republican friends despised it with a passion.

Typical!

I've only heard personal reviews of the play by my friends.

My Democrat friends all seemed to enjoy it.

And my Republican friends despised it with a passion.

Typical!
I gave my reasons for not liking it and none were political in the least.
Bad music (really bad) and no dialogue.

I gave my reasons for not liking it and none were political in the least.
Bad music (really bad) and no dialogue.

“no dialogue?”

The whole play is dialogue, narrative via the music, your fronting, you didn’t like it, or more probable, never saw it and your entire thread is aimed at just playing contrarian fo get the expected results

“no dialogue?”

The whole play is dialogue, narrative via the music, your fronting, you didn’t like it, or more probable, never saw it and your entire thread is aimed at just playing contrarian fo get the expected results

Consider the backwoods Alaskan white supremacist encampment where he watched it.

I enjoy musical theater, even as a straight man,
but I didn't see that one.

I had a feeling that I might not like it.
Based on your posting history, I doubt it. Your one of the few rational dems here.
Take my word for it… fourth tier hip hop lyrics paired with a five piece band as the orchestra playing simpleton music with zero dialogue for THREE fucking hours!
If you like that, who am I to argue?

The music was bad. The instrumentals didn’t even fit with the rap. It was as if the musicians were no better than intermediate level at best.
There was zero dialogue. Zero.
As to minorities playing the founding fathers, I’d just like to know what the point was.
Maybe you can explain? I’m actually curious about that. Other than mild curiosity I don’t really care. That wasn’t what made the production so… worse than bad.
I went in with an open mind and expected at least some form of entertainment based on the reviews.

If the 'orchestra' did not have a string quartet, then that is just BAD BAD production. To be fair, Hamilton is and always has been well known to have little to no dialogue, so that critique doesn't carry the same weight it might have otherwise. But seriously, what you are describing and what I saw (both with the touring show and the original) aren't consistent. And certainly not your description of the orchestra as a bad band. Just doesn't fit.

Based on your posting history, I doubt it. Your one of the few rational dems here.
Take my word for it… fourth tier hip hop lyrics paired with a five piece band as the orchestra playing simpleton music with zero dialogue for THREE fucking hours!
If you like that, who am I to argue?

Did you think Phantom had dialogue? Or Cats?

“no dialogue?”

Yet I posted a page from the program.:palm:

If the 'orchestra' did not have a string quartet, then that is just BAD BAD production. .

The band was a pianist, guitarist, bassist, drummer and a violin.
I play classical piano so I know that part was simpleton.
I used my spy glasses to watch the guitar and bass players’ fingering (out of boredom) and all they played were a few chords and notes. The drums kept the beat.

Back