Hillary on the Surge: "New military tactics in Iraq are working"

Yes, one more reason I won't be voting for her in the primary.

Did she almost have your vote, until she said this? Or, maybe you agree with her that the surge is working, and so you are only now considering giving her your vote?
I don't agree with the word "working", sure they are probably stopping/killing more terrorists but animosity is probably growing more from the wider population who can only see this as a step back from them having control over their own country.

There are more negatives than positives from the Iraq occupation, really the army is doing what special police forces in this country would do, the actual "war" is long over and it's time to return home.

The reason I posted this was to show the runaway Dem favorite for 2008 is embracing that which the left has railed against most recently. Perhaps Liberals on this board aren't representative of how the party makeup really is.

I don't agree with the word "working", sure they are probably stopping/killing more terrorists but animosity is probably growing more from the wider population who can only see this as a step back from them having control over their own country.

There are more negatives than positives from the Iraq occupation, really the army is doing what special police forces in this country would do, the actual "war" is long over and it's time to return home.

The reason I posted this was to show the runaway Dem favorite for 2008 is embracing that which the left has railed against most recently. Perhaps Liberals on this board aren't representative of how the party makeup really is.

We'll see. Those are national polls, and who knows if they are even indicative of who is going to go to the polls on primary day? The actual base of the party. I have my doubts. I will be highly disappointed if she ends up the nominee, but, I'll be clear; if it is her, I will swallow my disappointment and vote for her, because you can be sure I am not voting for Rudy or any of those other guys you are going to put up, whose idea of a debate is to run to the microphone and brag about how much faster they are going to torture someone than the other guy.

It less American Troops are dying, its working. That does not mean its better than a full pullout.

If she really belives its working I respect her for saying so, Especally because it is clearly not something that will help her get the Democratic Nomination.

It less American Troops are dying, its working. That does not mean its better than a full pullout.

If she really belives its working I respect her for saying so, Especally because it is clearly not something that will help her get the Democratic Nomination.

She thinks she's got the Democratic nomination. It is the general she is now running in.

But, I think...not so fast.

Perhaps Senator Clinton is not as unwilling to take an unpopular stand as Conservatives like to paint her.

She thinks she's got the Democratic nomination. It is the general she is now running in.

But, I think...not so fast.

If she thinks that she is stupid, and one think I know about her is that she is NOT stupid.

If she thinks that she is stupid, and one think I know about her is that she is NOT stupid.

No, I respect her as an incredibly intelligent person, in fact, probably the most qualified and intelligent person running in either camp.

But, she could be over-confident without being stupid, I think.

Perhaps Senator Clinton is not as unwilling to take an unpopular stand as Conservatives like to paint her.
Perhaps. I'm not sure. I can't see how she can say it is working when the whole reason behind it was to give the government time to come to a consensus. Instead of a consensus we have groups totally abandoning the government, basically giving it up to the Shias

Perhaps. I'm not sure. I can't see how she can say it is working when the whole reason behind it was to give the government time to come to a consensus. Instead of a consensus we have groups totally abandoning the government, basically giving it up to the Shias

I dont know that I agree with her, I was just saying that it was an unpopular stance she is taking, most people do not agree with her.

The attack Cons usually make on her is that she will say anything to get elected. This is clearly not going to help her get the Democratic Nomination or if she gets it, it will not help her get the presidency.

IO have to say this,: I have bseen your sig many tome, and maybe when you constructed it it had meaning, but mat least to me, it has absolutly noe. most of us don't even know who dixie is, or was.

Well, your reason for posting this is really misleading. From reading the article is seems pretty clear Hillary thinks that while the surge may be working, the ultimate objective of the surge is unattainable and the troops should be withdrawn. While I disagree with her assessment of "the surge," I agree with her conclusion that, regardless of the success or failure of the surge, the Iraqis are unable tor unwilling to make the neccesary political reconciliation and our troops should not stay to police the conflict.

Additionally, if you look at the polling data, the liberals on the board are not only representative of the Democratic Party, but they are also representative of the country as a whole on the Iraq issue.

IO have to say this,: I have seen your sig many times, and maybe when you constructed it it had meaning, but at least to me, it has absolutly none. most of us don't even know who dixie is, or was.

I don't see much to disagree with, in what clinton said.

It may well be that military tactics in some areas are working. But, overall, we're still pursuing a flawed policy. I can agree with that generally.

She was speaking to a military audience. I think it was an obvious political calculation to honor the tactical efforts of the US military. But, she's right on the other substantive issue. The surge was not going to be measure in terms of military tactics. It was going to be measured on the strategic success of political reconcilation and getting the Iraqi army to fight on their own. That hasn't happened.

One thing I would disagree with, is clinton pointing out the "success" in anbar province. While it seems to be true that sunni militia are routing out foreign fighters, I don't know if its prudent to call this a "success". Arming the sunni militia - dudes who hate us as much as they might hate foreign fighters - does not seem like something that helps us in the long run.

I dont know that I agree with her, I was just saying that it was an unpopular stance she is taking, most people do not agree with her.

The attack Cons usually make on her is that she will say anything to get elected. This is clearly not going to help her get the Democratic Nomination or if she gets it, it will not help her get the presidency.

Actually, I'd argue it would help her get the Presidency. I think she's thinking she will get people like Darla's vote, people who are against the war and don't support her position on the war but just do not want a Republican in the White House, and it will help her with those Independents and Republicans who want someone tough on National Security which I think this makes her more appear.

Actually, I'd argue it would help her get the Presidency. I think she's thinking she will get people like Darla's vote, people who are against the war and don't support her position on the war but just do not want a Republican in the White House, and it will help her with those Independents and Republicans who want someone tough on National Security which I think this makes her more appear.

yeah but as Darls said she might wind up losing the primary. To Edwards would be my thinking.

Back