Hillary on the Surge: "New military tactics in Iraq are working"

I don't see much to disagree with, in what clinton said.

It may well be that military tactics in some areas are working. But, overall, we're still pursuing a flawed policy. I can agree with that generally.

She was speaking to a military audience. I think it was an obvious political calculation to honor the tactical efforts of the US military. But, she's right on the other substantive issue. The surge was not going to be measure in terms of military tactics. It was going to be measured on the strategic success of political reconcilation and getting the Iraqi army to fight on their own. That hasn't happened.

One thing I would disagree with, is clinton pointing out the "success" in anbar province. While it seems to be true that sunni militia are routing out foreign fighters, I don't know if its prudent to call this a "success". Arming the sunni militia - dudes who hate us as much as they might hate foreign fighters - does not seem like something that helps us in the long run.

Yeah.

If one reads the entire transcript, its really not that far out of the democratic mainstream. I agree with about 90% of what she said:

Clinton: I have met with our brave men and women serving in Iraq, and I have seen first hand the sacrifices they are making. And when the history of the Iraq War is written, I want future generations to know that our troops did everything our country asked of them, everything their commanders asked of them, everything their comrades expected of them, everything they expected of themselves.

They were asked to get rid of Saddam Hussein and bring him to justice, and they did. They were asked to provide the Iraqi people with free elections so they could elect their own government, and they did. They were asked to give the Iraqi government the space and time they needed to do what only the Iraqis can do to stabilize their own country.
There is a vigorous debate in our own nation, and probably among many of you, about the right way forward in Iraq. I know we may disagree about whether there is or isn't a military solution to this war.

Having been there, having studied it and having seen the heroism and the accomplishments of our troops, I do not believe that we alone can impose a military solution. And I do not think the Iraqis are ready to do what they have to do for themselves yet.

Therefore, I think it is unacceptable for our troops to be caught in the crossfire of a sectarian civil war while the Iraqi government is on vacation. I think it is time the Iraqi government took responsibility for themselves and their country, because the American people and our American military cannot want freedom and stability for the Iraqis more than they want it for themselves.

As we move forward in these next months awaiting a report from General Petraeus, we have some very hard decisions to make. I'm not sure there are any good options. But one decision I know we will make is to continue to honor the service of our own American troops and to make sure that they are given the respect that they so richly have earned.

…I also made a full commitment to martial American power, resources and values in the global fight against these terrorists…. That begins with ensuring that America does have the world's strongest and smartest military force. We've begun to change tactics in Iraq, and in some areas, particularly in Al Anbar province, it's working.

We're just years too late changing our tactics. We can't ever let that happen again. We can't be fighting the last war. We have to be preparing to fight the new war.

And in the general?

She already said, Mr. Mediocre. She would vote for Hillary over any of the Republicans because the thought of another four to eight years of a Republican president is absolutely unthinkable.

And I agree. I'm voting for Edwards in the primary. But I'll vote for which ever Democrat gets the nomination.

She already said, Mr. Mediocre. She would vote for Hillary over any of the Republicans because the thought of another four to eight years of a Republican president is absolutely unthinkable.

And I agree. I'm voting for Edwards in the primary. But I'll vote for which ever Democrat gets the nomination.

Did not see her comments Mr. Far Below Mediocre, aka, Camera Monkey.

Yeah, and we heard awhile ago how the war was more important than anything. Guess not.

I doubt the boar enters the race. If he does I think Hillary still gives him the bitch slap and sends him running for the door screaming and crying about how she stole the nomination from him.

With the 6532 debates that we have already had, the only thing we are seeing is that she is solidifying her lead. Edwards is done. Obama is the only threat left that can take her.... and I think his "inexperience" will end that hope.

Which means we are stuck with Hillary and whatever target the Reps put in front of her. At this time, we are officially screwed. We need someone else to jump in or it will be another 4 years of Bush/Clinton/Clinton/Bush/Bush/Clinton saga.

Come on Bloomberg.... run damn it.... put Richardson or Hagel as your VP and run as an independent.

I perfer Edwards to Senator Clinton, but Id be very happy with her as president.

In my book, the Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush Clinton thing is a liability. Lets get some new blood in here...

Obama seems a bit nieve and inexperienced, but I like his policies. The problem I have with him is that he has about the same amount of experience as Bush had, and look at what a mess that has been.

Did not see her comments Mr. Far Below Mediocre, aka, Camera Monkey.

Yeah, and we heard awhile ago how the war was more important than anything. Guess not.

It is the most important thing to me, however, with the public where it is at now, the war is going to end. The next president will have to bring them home. But, the next Republican president will attack Iran if bush has not already done this, they have been quite open about that. I do not believe that even Hillary will do that.

And then of course, there are other issues which also cost lives...for instancee, health care.

I perfer Edwards to Senator Clinton, but Id be very happy with her as president.

In my book, the Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush Clinton thing is a liability. Lets get some new blood in here...

Obama seems a bit nieve and inexperienced, but I like his policies. The problem I have with him is that he has about the same amount of experience as Bush had, and look at what a mess that has been.

It would be a toss up for me as to who I dislike more between Hillary and Edwards. Neither would be likely to get my vote... unless there was no third party AND the Reps put up someone like Brownback....

Obama I just don't think is ready. So on that we agree.

I do wish both parties would move back towards the middle. Richardson, Clark and Lieberman from the Dems... Hagel or Powell from the Reps (and Bloomberg if you count him as a Rep)

Right now I am holding out hope for an Independent run by Bloomberg. He could seal the deal by taking Richardson. I think he could also do well with Hagel.

Dream tickets....

Dems.... Clark/Richardson
Reps... Powell/Hagel

Since neither will happen.... come on Bloomberg... run damn you... RUN!!!

It would be a toss up for me as to who I dislike more between Hillary and Edwards. Neither would be likely to get my vote... unless there was no third party AND the Reps put up someone like Brownback....

I do wish both parties would move back towards the middle. Richardson, Clark and Lieberman from the Dems... Hagel or Powell from the Reps (and Bloomberg if you count him as a Rep)

Right now I am holding out hope for an Independent run by Bloomberg. He could seal the deal by taking Richardson. I think he could also do well with Hagel.

Dream tickets....

Reps... Powell/Hagel

Would you have thought JFK ready?

Experience doesn't seemed to have helped some of our current politicians, so I am sorry, this inexperienced just doesn't seem fair to me. Talent comes in many ages and sizes!

Dream tickets....

Reps... Powell/Hagel

Oh, and Clark thinks we need to stay in Iraq...I can't hang with that!

Would you have thought JFK ready?

Experience doesn't seemed to have helped some of our current politicians, so I am sorry, this inexperienced just doesn't seem fair to me. Talent comes in many ages and sizes!

No, I would have likely thought JFK was a spoiled little brat, living off of the family money that was made taking advantage of other investors during the market crash that led to the great depression.... AND that led to the SEC acts of 1933 and 1934.

I agree that talent can come from someone who has not been a politician long.... but you have to be able to convey your message and Osama is fading hard in that area. I don't think he is ready to be our nations leader.

Clark already said he will not run because of his close friendship with Senator Clinton.

He will possably be her VP pick or sec of defense.

Dream tickets....

Reps... Powell/Hagel

OMHO you have one good choice on each ticket Richardson, and Hagel. Leberman is definitely BAD, ----and---

Bloomberg has declined in all catogories of running. and even to being part of an administration. That seems pretty definite.

Back