How the web became a sexists' paradise

Cypress

Will work for Scooby snacks
There's really some elements of truth here. I've personally seen it. Not really on this board, but on others. Women who are opinionated and passionate in online forums attract the most vitriolic attacks. Not from most men, mind you. But, there's a significant subculture of male posters who try to shout women down, and degrade them. I hate reading this kind of stuff (it's really depressing), but it's important to be aware of it.

How the web became a sexists' paradise

Everyone receives abuse online but the sheer hatred thrown at women bloggers has left some in fear for their lives. Jessica Valenti, editor of Feministing.com, reports

Friday April 6, 2007
The Guardian

Last week, Kathy Sierra, a well-known software programmer and Java expert, announced that she had cancelled her speaking engagements and was "afraid to leave my yard" after being threatened with suffocation, rape and hanging. The threats didn't come from a stalker or a jilted lover and they weren't responses to a controversial book or speech. Sierra's harassers were largely anonymous, and all the threats had been made online.

Sierra had been receiving increasingly abusive comments on her website, Creating Passionate Users, over the previous year, but had not expected them to turn so violent - her attackers not only verbally assaulting her ("fuck off you boring slut . . . I hope someone slits your throat") but also posting photomontages of her on other sites: one with a noose next to her head and another depicting her screaming with a thong covering her face. Since she wrote about the abuse on her website, the harassment has increased. "People are posting all my private data online everywhere - social-security number, and home address - a retaliation for speaking out."

While no one could deny that men experience abuse online, the sheer vitriol directed at women has become impossible to ignore. Extreme instances of stalking, death threats and hate speech are now prevalent, as well as all the everyday harassment that women have traditionally faced in the outside world - cat-calls, for instance, or being "rated" on our looks. It's all very far from the utopian ideals that greeted the dawn of the web - the idea of it as a new, egalitarian public space, where men and women from all races, and of all sexualities, could mix without prejudice.

On some online forums anonymity combined with misogyny can make for an almost gang-rape like mentality. One recent blog thread, attacking two women bloggers, contained comments like, "I would fuck them both in the ass,"; "Without us you would be raped, beaten and killed for nothing,"; and "Don't worry, you or your friends are too ugly to be put on the black market."………..snip

Sierra thinks that online threats, even if they are coming from a small group of people, have tremendous potential to scare women from fully participating online. "How many rape/fantasy threats does it take to make women want to lay low? Not many," she says.

But even women who don't put their pictures or real names online are subject to virtual harassment. A recent study showed that when the gender of an online username appears female, they are 25 times more likely to experience harassment. The study, conducted by the University of Maryland, found that female user-names averaged 163 threatening and/or sexually explicit messages a day………...snip

Thankfully, women are fighting back. Sparked by the violent harassment of Sierra, one blogger started a "stop cyberbullying" campaign. This was picked up by hundreds of other bloggers and an international women's technology organisation, Take Back the Tech, a global network of women who encourage people to "take back online spaces" by writing, video blogging, or podcasting about online harassment.

It won't mean the end of misogyny on the web, but it is a start. Such campaigns show that women are ready to demand freedom from harassment and fear in our new public spaces. In the same way that we should be able to walk down the street without fear of being raped, women shouldn't have to stay quiet online - or pretend to be men - to be free of threats and harassment. It is time to take back the sites.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,2051394,00.html

Last edited:
There's really some elements of truth here. I've personally seen it. Not really on this board, but on others. Women who are opinionated and passionate in online forums attract the most vitriolic attacks. Not from most men, mind you. But, there's a significant subculture of male posters who try to shout women down, and degrade them. I hate reading this kind of stuff (it's really depressing), but it's important to be aware of it.

Everyone gets shouted down and degraded on the net. Welcome to equal rights. What do you want?

The NWO is destroying our society by forcing us to value the general idiocy of most women.

Everyone gets shouted down and degraded on the net. Welcome to equal rights. What do you want?

The NWO is destroying our society by forcing us to value the general idiocy of most women.

Thanks for making my point, better than I ever could. You're a real world example of a Misogynist.

Thanks for making my point, better than I ever could. You're a real world example of a Misogynist.

Hi Cypress. I read this article and it struck me too. For the same reasons. I actually forwarded it to a couple of friends. It says a lot.

The entire point of the article, backed up by statistics if you bothered to read it, is that there is nothing equal about the amount, and level of the harrassment and degredation on the internet.

But if you think that women are "generally idiots" then you are very much part of the problem.

The entire point of the article, backed up by statistics if you bothered to read it, is that there is nothing equal about the amount, and level of the harrassment and degredation on the internet.

But if you think that women are "generally idiots" then you are very much part of the problem.

No way. I said "generously idiotic" . You're spinning.:cool:

Asshat, you unintentionally outed your self as part of the problem. Its funny, because I'm sure you didn't intend to out yourself as a misogynist - it's just that degradation of women just comes naturally to you, and I'm sure your not even aware your doing it.

Thanks again for PROVING the point of this post:

ASSHAT: "The NWO is destroying our society by forcing us to value the general idiocy of most women.

"The NWO is destroying our society by forcing us to value the general idiocy of most women"

Wow. It sounds even wiser when someone quotes it back to me.

The female mind is suited towards domestic environments, striving for emotional unity in a household or community of people already established by the men folk as being good allies, trusworthy, with common goals and a pact of cooperation firmly in place. Switching the balance of the general public mindset toward a female orientation, and denitgrating men and their political and material contributions, causes an unreasoned feeling of emotional unity, even with one's enemies. A sort of Predator/prey hypnotic bond is formed, the people are led down the path to perdition with too much Oprah.

Wow. It sounds even wiser when someone quotes it back to me.

The female mind is suited towards domestic environments, striving for emotional unity in a household or community of people already established by the men folk as being good allies, trusworthy, with common goals and a pact of cooperation firmly in place. Switching the balance of the general public mindset toward a female orientation, and denitgrating men and their political and material contributions, causes an unreasoned feeling of emotional unity, even with one's enemies. A sort of Predator/prey hypnotic bond is formed, the people are led down the path to perdition with too much Oprah.

I feel sorry for the angry white male, as well as relieved that their time is quickly coming to an end.

I hope you find a way to readjust yourself into society. But if not, frankly, it won't be any big loss.

I feel sorry for the angry white male, as well as relieved that their time is quickly coming to an end.

I hope you find a way to readjust yourself into society. But if not, frankly, it won't be any big loss.

So you DO promote elimination of your perceived political enemies. You're a nazi. Do you realize that?

Not thoughful commentary. No attempt at a rational dispute. Just naked threat and aggression. You're mentally ill.

So you DO promote elimination of your perceived political enemies. You're a nazi. Do you realize that?

Not thoughful commentary. No attempt at a rational dispute. Just naked threat and aggression. You're mentally ill.

You're a LIAR and a sexist.

You lied about what you actually wrote. And you said that most women are idiots.

You're really pathetic man. I don't even think a woman would have you. I see you as a 22 year old, bitter, pathetic man, sitting in a basement and typing on your keybord.

You're a LIAR and a sexist.

You lied about what you actually wrote. And you said that most women are idiots.

You're really pathetic man. I don't even think a woman would have you. I see you as a 22 year old, bitter, pathetic man, sitting in a basement and typing on your keybord.

I just think most women are really fucked up in the head is all. Just like they feel about men. We're complementary.

http://www.lyriczz.com/lyriczz.php?songid=4969

Bill Withers
Just The Two Of Us
I see the crystal raindrops fall
And the beauty of it all
Is when the sun comes shining through
To make those rainbows in my mind
When I think of you sometime
And I want to spend some time with you

Chorus:
Just the two of us
We can make it if we try
Just the two of us
Just the two of us
Building castles in the sky
Just the two of us
You and I

We look for love no time for tears
Wasted water�s all that is
And it don�t make no flowers grow

Good things might come to those who wait
Not for those who wait too late
We gotta go for all we know

Repeat Chorus

I hear the crystal raindrops fall
On the window down the hall
And it becomes the morning dew

And darling when the morning comes
And I see the morning sun
I want to be the one with you.

I just think most women are really fucked up in the head is all. Just like they feel about men. We're complementary.

http://www.lyriczz.com/lyriczz.php?songid=4969

Bill Withers
Just The Two Of Us
I see the crystal raindrops fall
And the beauty of it all
Is when the sun comes shining through
To make those rainbows in my mind
When I think of you sometime
And I want to spend some time with you

Chorus:
Just the two of us
We can make it if we try
Just the two of us
Just the two of us
Building castles in the sky
Just the two of us
You and I

We look for love no time for tears
Wasted water�s all that is
And it don�t make no flowers grow

Good things might come to those who wait
Not for those who wait too late
We gotta go for all we know

Repeat Chorus

I hear the crystal raindrops fall
On the window down the hall
And it becomes the morning dew

And darling when the morning comes
And I see the morning sun
I want to be the one with you.

No, you don't think that women are 'just fucked up in the head is all" (didn't you just ride Mainman for using the f word, claiming he "didn't think the rules applied to him????"). And while you might be recovering from the bitter aftermath of a love affair, as your words might imply in this post, the fact is, here is what you think of women:

The female mind is suited towards domestic environments, striving for emotional unity in a household or community of people

Which is simply another way of saying "barefoot and pregnant"

No, you don't think that women are 'just fucked up in the head is all" (didn't you just ride Mainman for using the f word, claiming he "didn't think the rules applied to him????"). And while you might be recovering from the bitter aftermath of a love affair, as your words might imply in this post, the fact is, here is what you think of women:

The female mind is suited towards domestic environments, striving for emotional unity in a household or community of people

Which is simply another way of saying "barefoot and pregnant"

No. We have shoes now. Shoes are fine. But you do strive for emotional unity. "everyone getting along" is your prime directive. That's not always wise when there are enemies in world of whom we should be weary. The female mind is simply unsuited for effective statehood maintenance, defense, and procurement. Forgive the pun, but they have a tendency to want to be someone's little bitch.

sounds like asshat needs a real woman.:tongout:

He ain't married dude. And probably never will be:

ASSHAT: “The NWO is destroying our society by forcing us to value the general idiocy of most women…..

“(Women) have a tendency to want to be someone's little bitch.”

He's and insane misogynist. I spoke to quickly, when I said nobody on this board exhibited the sexist behavior mentioned in the article I posted.

Post, after post, Asshat is PROVING what the article says.

He ain't married dude. And probably never will be:

He's and insane misogynist. I spoke to quickly, when I said nobody on this board exhibited the sexist behavior mentioned in the article I posted.

Post, after post, Asshat is PROVING what the article says.

Yeah. Women are getting their asses kicked online, and are wondering why their touchy feely emotionalism isn't passing muster. Then the blame game sets in.

Back