Hurricane Helen

I find it astounding that people living in a zone where hurricanes occur with regularity haven't worked to make their homes and businesses proof against them. The means are clearly available.

Nothing like politicizing an expected disaster.
You mean politicizing and lying about the weather.

"
Here are some examples of what scientists have learned from studying blue holes:

• Hine's Hole, Bahamas
    A study of sediment cores from Hine's Hole found that the area has experienced major swings in storm frequency since 1480. The study also found that the number of tropical cyclones in the area is currently at a historical low.

• Long Island, Bahamas
    A study of blue holes found that Long Island has been hit by nearly ten hurricanes over the past two centuries, but only one or two in the 17th century.

• Andros Island, Bahamas
    A study of blue holes found that major storm events made landfall once per decade in the 1500s, nearly ten times more often than in the past 150 years.

• Northern Bahamas
    A study of blue holes found that the area experienced especially high levels of hurricane activity from 1500 to 1670 CE.

Blue holes are ideal for studying past hurricane activity because they trap sediment, including sand transported by hurricanes. The sediment is often well-preserved in blue holes because they have little oxygen at the bottom, which slows decay.

In fairness, those white boots looked very good on his wife. I wonder why he chose to wear any boots at all, he refused to leave the dry pavement even to touch dry grass. I am guessing the real reason both he and his wife wore the boots was for the high heels.
It's because his wife Casey dressed him.

6w12g9.jpg

Consequences of poor building codes, remember, you people don’t like regulations
Nope. Dade County building code is pretty much the standard in Florida. The problem is builders who short sheet stuff, inspectors that don't thoroughly inspect, and the addition of unnecessary regulations.

cutaway-hurricane-resistant-home-w-numbers-lger.jpg

As one example.

Trailer parks should be forbidden in hurricane and tornado zones unless the manufacturer produces them to standards of homes in such areas.

Back