Hurricane Helen

Nope. Dade County building code is pretty much the standard in Florida. The problem is builders who short sheet stuff, inspectors that don't thoroughly inspect, and the addition of unnecessary regulations.

cutaway-hurricane-resistant-home-w-numbers-lger.jpg

As one example.

Trailer parks should be forbidden in hurricane and tornado zones unless the manufacturer produces them to standards of homes in such areas.
I don't see any little windy arrows going underneath that particular design.
Also, the prominent eaves are asking a lot of the rafter straps.

You mean politicizing and lying about the weather.

"
Here are some examples of what scientists have learned from studying blue holes:

• Hine's Hole, Bahamas
    A study of sediment cores from Hine's Hole found that the area has experienced major swings in storm frequency since 1480. The study also found that the number of tropical cyclones in the area is currently at a historical low.

• Long Island, Bahamas
    A study of blue holes found that Long Island has been hit by nearly ten hurricanes over the past two centuries, but only one or two in the 17th century.

• Andros Island, Bahamas
    A study of blue holes found that major storm events made landfall once per decade in the 1500s, nearly ten times more often than in the past 150 years.

• Northern Bahamas
    A study of blue holes found that the area experienced especially high levels of hurricane activity from 1500 to 1670 CE.
Blue holes are ideal for studying past hurricane activity because they trap sediment, including sand transported by hurricanes. The sediment is often well-preserved in blue holes because they have little oxygen at the bottom, which slows decay.
The evidence shows there were a lot more Atlantic hurricanes during the Little Ice Age than today.

This season has been a dud for the global warming disaster folks so far.....maybe they will get something.
The builders in Florida keep fighting stronger building regulations. After a bad storm, the politicians enforce the regs better and often toughen them. Then the building lobby goes to work chopping down the regulations.
This "dud" is the worst storm to EVER hit that area.

My sister has a boat, that's not hers, in her back yard. St. Petersburg.
I am glad I sold my place in ClearWater a couple of years ago , Heck Insurance costs were going way up back then I hear it is a lot worse now.
I will have to wait and call my old friends next door to the place and see how they did, it doesn't look good.
Have a nice day

What's anchoring the wall plates to the studs ?
The studs are nailed or screwed and with full sheath on the exterior and drywall on the interior along with diagonal bracing, the wall isn't coming apart at the top plate. The wall at the bottom is strapped and bolted to the foundation.

This sounds like it is going to be a very bad one. When hurricanes hit in the big bend area of Florida they tend to be very bad. This one can potentially produce big storm surges. This one is the kind you should evacuate for if you live on the coast and are in its path. I wonder if we will see Kamala going to Florida and acting Vice Presidential.
I suppose that you're going to blame the hurricane on Biden.

I find it astounding that people living in a zone where hurricanes occur with regularity haven't worked to make their homes and businesses proof against them. The means are clearly available.

It is impossible or way too expensive to make houses perfectly hurricane proof, but Florida could do a better job. There is a reason that Florida tradespeople and inspectors are universally made fun of. They are just not competent. There is no other way to say it. Florida likes to build fast, and extremely poorly. DeSantis has done nothing but support more of that.

A 60 year old building in San Francisco might not be very earthquake resistant, but a 10 year old building will actually be well made. If anything, Florida is the reverse. Recent buildings are worse.

Florida's insurance market is collapsing as insurers refuse to subsidize Florida's horrible building. DeSantis is now begging the rest of America bail them out, again. It is a disgrace.

It is impossible or way too expensive to make houses perfectly hurricane proof, but Florida could do a better job. There is a reason that Florida tradespeople and inspectors are universally made fun of. They are just not competent. There is no other way to say it. Florida likes to build fast, and extremely poorly. DeSantis has done nothing but support more of that.

A 60 year old building in San Francisco might not be very earthquake resistant, but a 10 year old building will actually be well made. If anything, Florida is the reverse. Recent buildings are worse.

Florida's insurance market is collapsing as insurers refuse to subsidize Florida's horrible building. DeSantis is now begging the rest of America bail them out, again. It is a disgrace.
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Walt do you ever stop spewing hot air.?

It was rough. The storm was bad enough that they closed all 3 Waffle Houses in Tallahasse.
In 1969 I was in Florida on vacation. We left for home early because hurricane Camille was brewing in the Gulf. On the way back to Texas we stopped at a Howard Johnsons to eat. They were taping the windows up in preparations. A day or so later I saw the same Howard Johnsons in total rubble. Camille was a Cat 5.

Don't they require metal hurricane ties.

Yes they do here is the Florida mitigation code.

The code you showed me says what I stated earlier and mostly deals with roof sheathing. Roofs are the primary way a house is going to get wrecked in a hurricane, be it by flooding from rain because the shingles etc., came loose and the roof was no longer watertight, or if wind got under it and lifted the sheathing off.

The other big danger is flying debris.

Flooding is an issue in low lying areas and homes in such areas should be on stilts or have the first floor as a garage with the house on the second.

Have you been to Florida, Walt? It's almost impossible to stop the water. People who live in Florida are there for the water. They have well over 1000 miles of beach front property to watch the sun rise or set.

When I was in Florida, it was legal to be naked.

Back