Hurricane Helen

California has tightened earthquake codes, so homeowners insurance is still possible in California.
California requires solar panels on all new residential construction too. They're also banning backup generators running on natural gas, propane, or the like. What's your point?

California requires solar panels on all new residential construction too. They're also banning backup generators running on natural gas, propane, or the like. What's your point?
My point is you have got to stop watching FoxNews, it is warping your mind.

Sure California insurance can feel a little high, but Florida is in free fall. There are insurance premiums of over 10% of the price of the house. No one can afford this.

My point is you have got to stop watching FoxNews, it is warping your mind.

Sure California insurance can feel a little high, but Florida is in free fall. There are insurance premiums of over 10% of the price of the house. No one can afford this.

It's so bad there that second rate companies are now offering month-to-month policies....

$10k a year here on insurance, $10k a year there on insurance, and pretty soon insurance every year for a house is more than the house is worth.

Right now the Florida insurance market is in collapse, because the houses are so poorly built.
After Ian, the insurance rates shot up and many homeowners dropped their insurance. They won't be able to rebuild more than a tent.

If DeSantis follows Terry's advice, many Floridians won't be able to rebuild even if they did have insurance due to the higher cost of a hurricane-proof building.

Despite DeSantis's loud bitching about Federal funds to disaster zones and Federal taxes, I have no doubt he'll be screaming for US taxpayers to pay for the damage to Floridian homes. The hypocrisy within Team MAGA is at a peak.

In Florida, the average cost of homeowners insurance has tripled over the past four years.

Florida homeowners paid $10,996 annually for home insurance in 2023—which is more than four times the national average of $2,377, according to a recent report from Insurify.

Insurify predicts costs will increase an additional 7% in 2024, to $11,759.

According to the US Census Bureau's American Housing Survey, 12.8 percent of owner occupied homes in Florida don't have insurance. In Miami, 14.4 percent aren't insured. That's twice as many when compared to the national average of 6.8 percent of homes.

"It's totally crazy not to have insurance unless you are super rich and you can be self- insured but I don't think that's the case of most of us," said Victor Roldan, the director of RMS, a company that assesses risk for insurance companies worldwide.

"This is one of the most catastrophic zones historically in the United States and in the world as well," said Roldan.

And that higher probability for hurricanes and other disasters is why policies cost more in Florida.

According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Florida had the third highest average premium for homeowner's insurance compared to other states in 2016 -- costing homeowners $1,918 annually. Compared to the national average, Floridians pay $726 more per year. And Roldan says the risk for homeowners will continue to grow.

"Climate change is actually making catastrophes bigger," says Roldan.

It's so bad there that second rate companies are now offering month-to-month policies....
Your obsession with California is interesting, Terry.

Why don't you want to admit that Florida is turning into a cluster fuck due to a combination of increasingly stronger hurricanes and MAGAt policies?

Learn from the Elders ;

th

Brad nails? Titebond? lol
In Florida? Lots of duct tape since that's all they had left after the last hurricane. :)

Sen. Rubio admitted that Cedar Key has been "wiped out". As a rep for the Party of Global Warming Denial (PoGWD), it's interesting that he whined about Floridians facing their third storm in the last 12 months.

The fact most didn't have insurance means most won't be able to rebuild. It will be interesting to see 1) what happens now and 2) where those Floridians with their uninsured homes wiped out will immigrate. Probably to a blue state that has good welfare housing. Ironic if that happens.

“There are some parts of our state, I think about Cedar Key, for example. Beautiful place. People love going there. It’s tough to get there right now, but from all reports, it’s unfortunately been pretty much wiped out. So there are some coastal areas, some of which are now facing their third storm in the last 12 months.

In Florida? Lots of duct tape since that's all they had left after the last hurricane. :)

Sen. Rubio admitted that Cedar Key has been "wiped out". As a rep for the Party of Global Warming Denial (PoGWD), it's interesting that he whined about Floridians facing their third storm in the last 12 months.

The fact most didn't have insurance means most won't be able to rebuild. It will be interesting to see 1) what happens now and 2) where those Floridians with their uninsured homes wiped out will immigrate. Probably to a blue state that has good welfare housing. Ironic if that happens.

“There are some parts of our state, I think about Cedar Key, for example. Beautiful place. People love going there. It’s tough to get there right now, but from all reports, it’s unfortunately been pretty much wiped out. So there are some coastal areas, some of which are now facing their third storm in the last 12 months.
Key West, Florida is the best place I've been anytime, anywhere.
~Ernest Hemingway

Airiel drone videos show some of the damage at Cedar Key. Many homes were pushed off their foundations so that, even if relatively intact, they are uninhabitable. Wooden buildings don't stand up well against a 15 foot wall of water. On Andros Island and Nassau, Bahamas, along with Okinawa, Japan, most major buildings are made of concrete.

Cedar Key - the "before" photo:
7b2b38c0bebdff3b0524c6aaf4830d00.jpg

Airiel drone videos show some of the damage at Cedar Key. Many homes were pushed off their foundations so that, even if relatively intact, they are uninhabitable. Wooden buildings don't stand up well against a 15 foot wall of water. On Andros Island and Nassau, Bahamas, along with Okinawa, Japan, most major buildings are made of concrete.

Cedar Key - the "before" photo:
7b2b38c0bebdff3b0524c6aaf4830d00.jpg
OK,,,,Wouldn't it be kinda nice if a Huricane named KARMA came along and wiped the entire state of Florida, along with Mar largo leading the way, off the fuckin map??? I can live with 49 states

OK,,,,Wouldn't it be kinda nice if a Huricane named KARMA came along and wiped the entire state of Florida, along with Mar largo leading the way, off the fuckin map??? I can live with 49 states
It appears Karma is doing that one hurricane season at a time.

Back