I am bored AMA

Ha...If Billy can't. I can. I actually know the songs author. Rick Derringer. He's from my home town area of Ft. Recovery,Ohio (A historically significant town. The first battle ever fought by the US Army was fought at that location). For those who don't know Rick was the lead guitarist for the Edgar Winters group and a prolific song writer and performer in his own right. He wrote Sloopy with his original group "The McCoys". It's also the Official State Rock Song of Ohio.

The song is simply about a young man who is in love with a poor girl from the wrong side of town.

When my wife first heard the song she thought they were singing "Hang on stupid!" LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Derringer

Somewhere I still have Edgar Winter's album "They Only Come Out at Night'. And I love "Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo" by Derringer.

You guys have seriously shitty taste in music.

Well....I am a roots music kind of guy. Blues, bluegrass, folk, and folky Rock.

Anything acoustic and cool.

John Cephas(RIP) and Phil Wiggins, who now plays with Corey Harris...Guy Davis...Paul Geremia, Roy Bookbinder, John Hammond, great acoustic Bluesmen....Of course....Stevie Ray Vaughan(RIP) was the guy that started me on blues...so I gotta give a shout out to him.

On the Bluegrass/folk side, Doc Watson(RIP), Tony Rice, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Allison Krauss, the Krueger Brothers, John Prine, Bob Dylan(some),

On the Rock side....Jackson Browne, the Eagles, Levon Helm(with and without The Band), Steve Earle, James Taylor, CSN, Neil Young and similar....

Halo was like the first thing that came out. And Dreamcast is still awesome, it's the biggest system for indie developers. Nowadays though I do mostly PC gaming, since mods are awesome and I have a PC that can run the shit out of any game.

No, it came out a year later. I remember my friends at school complaining about how much the games sucked. I joked years later that at least they'd had Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Last edited:
No, it came out a year later. I remember my friends at school complaining about how much the games sucked. I years later that at least they'd had Extreme Beach Volleyball.

I was always a fan of Mike Tyson's Punch out.....anyone remember Karate Champ in the Arcades? Or how about "One Must Fall" From the DOS days of the PC?

I remember playing a wrestling game on PS that was awesome. I would play as a masked character called Unknown, and when you pressed the combo to eff up the opponents legs, he would instead spread the guy's legs and headbut him in the junk. The audience would groan and not like you for it.

I was always a fan of Mike Tyson's Punch out.....anyone remember Karate Champ in the Arcades? Or how about "One Must Fall" From the DOS days of the PC?

Yeah, I like games that are actually possible to beat, which would preclude Punch Out.

Ha...If Billy can't. I can. I actually know the songs author. Rick Derringer. He's from my home town area of Ft. Recovery,Ohio (A historically significant town. The first battle ever fought by the US Army was fought at that location). For those who don't know Rick was the lead guitarist for the Edgar Winters group and a prolific song writer and performer in his own right. He wrote Sloopy with his original group "The McCoys". It's also the Official State Rock Song of Ohio.

The song is simply about a young man who is in love with a poor girl from the wrong side of town.

When my wife first heard the song she thought they were singing "Hang on stupid!" LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Derringer

LOL That's cute. Yeah I knew it was about a girl from the bad side of town, I just love that whole "hang on sloopy, sloopy hang on" refrain, which is incredibly meangingless, and who in hell, as Christie pointed out, is named "Sloopy"??

What would you know? Your generations never even written a song. They just sample our generations songs.

I know a lot of men who say that. I love music from all different times. I just love music. I guess my main love is the rock and roll I really grew up with. But I love older music, like tons of stuff from the 60's...I even love some of it from the 50's. I defy anyone not to feel happy when Run Around Sue comes on! I could get up and dance to that right now! Or what about, Who Wrote The Book of Love? I mean there is just tons of stuff. The Duke of Earl!

But I also love stuff from today. Just across the board, there is great music in every generation IMO.

So, like, what method do you recommend for shipping beer to a know-nothing shit sack with bad taste? I mean, I want the beer to get there and don't want some goddamned postal service employee intercepting the package and having some prole postal clerk drinking and failing to appreciate the sweet nectar that is the DFH 75 min IPA.

I know a lot of men who say that. I love music from all different times. I just love music. I guess my main love is the rock and roll I really grew up with. But I love older music, like tons of stuff from the 60's...I even love some of it from the 50's. I defy anyone not to feel happy when Run Around Sue comes on! I could get up and dance to that right now! Or what about, Who Wrote The Book of Love? I mean there is just tons of stuff. The Duke of Earl!

But I also love stuff from today. Just across the board, there is great music in every generation IMO.
Agreed. Self appointed music critics like Grind and Billy are not only obnoxious but invariably have a tin ear and bad taste in music. Good music is timeless.

All Billy seems to like is industrial strength heavy metal.
Hey I like industrial strength heavy metal too. Billy doesn't have the frame of reference that we have surviving the Disco era. It would be interesting to see how they would respond if Clearwater decided to play nothing but country or nothing but HipHop and see how long it would take before they grew to despise HipHop or Country as much as we despise Disco.

Agreed. Self appointed music critics like Grind and Billy are not only obnoxious but invariably have a tin ear and bad taste in music. Good music is timeless.

• where did I criticize anybody's music?
  • How did you know I wanted to criticize your crappy music?
  • I'll have you know most of the music I listen to is highly regarded by pitchfork media.

Back