APP - Identical Twins, One Gay, One Ain't

It is my humble opinion that the fact this question is even political is a sign we've gone far off the path of freedom and into a realm of extreme government control. The government isn't the place to define, predict, preserve, promote, or in any way "bless" any type of relationship between free adults who consent to any arrangement. It is flat none of the government's business if we believe that there is any truth at all to the idea that we are the "land of the free".

The government shouldn't be issuing licenses, promoting, defining any consenting relationships at all. If we were "free" they would not, should not, and we should be in arms that the government has stepped into this arena to begin with, instead we spend hours promoting the government step in here and define this, make sure nobody is doing "that", force people to "allow" this...

It's almost sickening how we argue in which direction the government SHOULD interfere in our lives rather than demand the government GTFO of our lives. By attempting to promote a certain "family" situation we have allowed government, businesses, our neighbors, et al to judge and define our actions so that we can obtain a specific "benefit" or "blessing" bestowed by government onto us... We allow them to gather information on even the minutest points of our lives so that we can receive more "blessing" (read: benefit) from our government. It is insane we let them go there and still call ourselves free.

One has to remember that at the time the country was formed there was enough space for individuals to do their own thing. People had a chance to homestead and isolate themselves from others, if they so wished. That is not the case today. Housing, food, etc. involves a "chain of command", for lack of a better term. We can no more give a hungry person a rifle and tell him to hunt for food than we can sponsor a land rush for the homeless.

The primary purpose behind government supporting marriage is marriage provided the best framework in which to raise children. The "little savages" were taught proper conduct. Today, with an extensive public school system and, in the future, providing daycare we can take another look at marriage.

The idea traditional marriage is the foundation for family and society as espoused by Conservatives is because it was and, to a certain extent, still is. Changing the definition and/or make-up of marriage would be much easier if the primary reason, that of child rearing, was addressed and that's where government can play an important roll.

Schools, day care, after school programs, counseling (more along the lines of an adult in whom a child can confide)....all the necessary tools to ensure each child receives a well-rounded view of the world and not just the views of the parent(s). I think that would go a long way to counter-act the objections to changing the roll and definition of marriage.

It is my humble opinion that the fact this question is even political is a sign we've gone far off the path of freedom and into a realm of extreme government control. The government isn't the place to define, predict, preserve, promote, or in any way "bless" any type of relationship between free adults who consent to any arrangement. It is flat none of the government's business if we believe that there is any truth at all to the idea that we are the "land of the free".

The government shouldn't be issuing licenses, promoting, defining any consenting relationships at all. If we were "free" they would not, should not, and we should be in arms that the government has stepped into this arena to begin with, instead we spend hours promoting the government step in here and define this, make sure nobody is doing "that", force people to "allow" this...

It's almost sickening how we argue in which direction the government SHOULD interfere in our lives rather than demand the government GTFO of our lives. By attempting to promote a certain "family" situation we have allowed government, businesses, our neighbors, et al to judge and define our actions so that we can obtain a specific "benefit" or "blessing" bestowed by government onto us... We allow them to gather information on even the minutest points of our lives so that we can receive more "blessing" (read: benefit) from our government. It is insane we let them go there and still call ourselves free.

You have a point there but there's this troubling little thing called "property rights" which presents a problem for that kind of reasoning.

"It's almost sickening how we argue in which direction the government SHOULD interfere in our lives rather than demand the government GTFO of our lives."

Best line ever!

I reject that kind of thinking cause it's a self fullfilling prophecy for bad governance. Intrusive or tyranical government is bad. Affective government is good. We need government at a certain level in our lives. Hell, where would we be with out law and order? The question is, as always, what is the appropriate level?

I reject that kind of thinking cause it's a self fullfilling prophecy for bad governance. Intrusive or tyranical government is bad. Affective government is good. We need government at a certain level in our lives. Hell, where would we be with out law and order? The question is, as always, what is the appropriate level?

How about "GTFO of our lives" as a standard default position. Since gov't expansion happens regardless of the health of the economy or the public debt, lets start slapping it back until we accomplish something.

No one is suggesting removing gov't completely. But there should be a clear reason for govt intrusion.

No. You're the one with reading comprehension problems.

No problems here. Mott wrote, "I do wonder though, what is it about homosexuals that both fascinates and scares you?" and I asked you in msg 219, "Is there something you want to share?"

Obviously I am not the only one who notices your "unusual" attitude towards homosexuals and felt this might be a good time to explore why and you accuse me of insults and projection. I also mentioned in msg 219 a couple of examples where one might form a negative opinion regarding homosexuality hoping they might help you recall any instances in your past.

It appears to me it is you who has reading comprehension problems.

Back