If Prop 19 passes?!!

Like growing good tomatoes.

Another issue concerning growing your own is the time and land to do so.

A very large number of pot smokers don't own enough land to support much of a habit, even if they did have the skills. Nor do they want to mess with it.

If I want to enjoy wine, I don't turn my yard into a vineyard and start buying fermenting equipment.

It can be grown on a balcony in a large pot and doesn't need to be fermented, just dried.

Sure it can. But the assumption that it will be grown by the smokers is what I am arguing with. I think most will buy it.

Like growing good tomatoes.
Yes, but still more difficult. The best stuff is grown hydroponically under careful lighting conditions. It is costly and difficult. (At least that is what I hear from users.) Wanderingbear would be one of those people more expert than I on this subject...

Sure it can. But the assumption that it will be grown by the smokers is what I am arguing with. I think most will buy it.
Just like they'll buy tobacco even though it can be grown with less trouble than that of Marijuana. The vast majority of tomato users, for instance, buy their tomatoes, and that is a plant easier to grow and prepare than either tobacco or cannabis.

anyone who seriously thinks that the states are going to make decent money off of this while lowering the cost just isn't thinking clearly.
True, the dealer on the corner barely makes as much as the guy working at the gas station (not kidding, they get a cut they don't get the take). It won't make it that much cheaper just to make it legal as growing it at a level that people would be willing to purchase it takes more than people think...

I think it will likely cost just about exactly the same after they take their tax bite.

Utter bullshit.

Use quality seeds and plant them at the right time, use drip hoses and add some nutrients in the water

Tend garden like you normally would.

BINGO!
'k...

And your expertise is? Much of the good stuff takes more care than that, it is hybridized not for ease of growth, but to improve the potency. However what you describe is more than most people will do even for stuff easier to grow like tomatoes.

Just like they'll buy tobacco even though it can be grown with less trouble than that of Marijuana. The vast majority of tomato users, for instance, buy their tomatoes, and that is a plant easier to grow and prepare than either tobacco or cannabis.
Only because they can't store their tomatoes very long, and the cost per pound at the market is relatively cheap. Still nothing beats a backyard tomato and I suspect the same thing with weed.

With regards to comparison to tobacco, that is more valid. But tobacco is smoked mainly for flavor, and dope is smoked more to get high, so a lower quality plant and drying techniques would be less tolerated with weed.

Only because they can't store their tomatoes very long, and the cost per pound at the market is relatively cheap. Still nothing beats a backyard tomato and I suspect the same thing with weed.

With regards to comparison to tobacco, that is more valid. But tobacco is smoked mainly for flavor, and dope is smoked more to get high, so a lower quality plant and drying techniques would be less tolerated with weed.
No, weed is smoked for potency, the "best" of the plants are far more difficult to grow.

The reality is, people are too specialized to worry that "everybody will grow their own", most people don't want to take the trouble necessary to even grow their own tobacco, brew their own beer, even to gather their own honey all of which can be done far more cheaply than purchasing it from the local convenience store. As for brewing your own beer, you can brew stuff far better than is sold at the store, with more potency and flavor, and you can sell (at least in CO) a rather large amount without licenses or taxation. If you pass that amount you are saddled with a bunch of stuff that means you have to make crappy beer that they can sell at the local liquor store.

No, weed is smoked for potency, the "best" of the plants are far more difficult to grow.

The reality is, people are too specialized to worry that "everybody will grow their own", most people don't want to take the trouble necessary to even grow their own tobacco, brew their own beer, even to gather their own honey all of which can be done far more cheaply than purchasing it from the local convenience store.

I'm sure it is, but when you can grow a pound for basically free the potency doesn't matter. So you smoke a big spleef instead of taking a few hits.

People also have lots of free time on their hands, and gardening is a common hobby. Again, the analogy with beer is a weak one because of the relative cost and expertise; same with honey.

'k...

And your expertise is? Much of the good stuff takes more care than that, it is hybridized not for ease of growth, but to improve the potency. However what you describe is more than most people will do even for stuff easier to grow like tomatoes.

Let's just say I knew someone who put himself through school back in the 80's by growing his own high quality herb in his backyard.

I'm sure it is, but when you can grow a pound for basically free the potency doesn't matter. So you smoke a big spleef instead of taking a few hits.

People also have lots of free time on their hands, and gardening is a common hobby. Again, the analogy with beer is a weak one because of the relative cost and expertise; same with honey.
Both of the analogies are apt. It doesn't take much knowledge to brew a decent beer. I know, I've done it. There are kits available with which, on your very first try and with no knowledge you can brew your own.

http://www.monsterbrew.com/Cat-Equi...its&utm_content=textad&utm_term=beer+brew+kit

It's quite easy, even easier than growing tomatoes. So is apiculture. Bees tend to do all the work for you.

The reality is, though people are capable of doing something they still prefer to purchase, even those with spare time.

Both of the analogies are apt. It doesn't take much knowledge to brew a decent beer. I know, I've done it. There are kits available with which, on your very first try and with no knowledge you can brew your own.

http://www.monsterbrew.com/Cat-Equi...its&utm_content=textad&utm_term=beer+brew+kit

It's quite easy, even easier than growing tomatoes. So is apiculture. Bees tend to do all the work for you.

The reality is, though people are capable of doing something they still prefer to purchase, even those with spare time.
Your link makes my point for me. The brewing kit is $70 and the ingredient kits are $28, making 2 cases of beer. Its no cheaper that buying the same swill at the supermarket.

In contrast weed seeds and a bucket of dirt costs next to nothing, and the product is much more valuable. And again, it takes a lot less work.

I'm sure an occasional smoker would rather buy the stuff at the local Starhits store, but a confirmed doper is much more likely to grow it himself.

Your link makes my point for me. The brewing kit is $70 and the ingredient kits are $28, making 2 cases of beer. Its no cheaper that buying the same swill at the supermarket.

In contrast weed seeds and a bucket of dirt costs next to nothing, and the product is much more valuable. And again, it takes a lot less work.

I'm sure an occasional smoker would rather buy the stuff at the local Starhits store, but a confirmed doper is much more likely to grow it himself.
You read wrong. The kits usually come with enough stuff to make 5 gallons three times, most more.

That isn't "two cases" that's a crap ton...

Anyway, these are far more expensive than most of the kits I've seen.

You read wrong. They come with enough stuff to make 5 gallons three times, most more.

That isn't "two cases" that's a crap ton...

Basically you brew about two cases at a time, but you get more ingredients than that.

True Brew Amber Ale Homebrew Ingredient Kit
Well hopped and smooth. A Monster Brew favorite. This kit is an excellent introduction to home brewing. True Brew ingredient kits make approximately 5 gallons of beer which is equivalent to 2 cases of 12oz beers and works perfectly with any of our equipment kits.
http://www.monsterbrew.com/Prod_AmberKit.cfm

$29, not including shitting and mandling. :palm:

Back