Interested in trying Wild Boar Meat

Mason Michaels

Verified User
Was watching an episode of Chopped.
One of the ingredients was rack of Wild Boar ribs!
They looked amazing.
Anyone tried these,or know where Boar is available?

There are millions of them all over the southeast. I know in south Georgia there are farmers who will let you hunt their land for free. The feral hogs are destroying their crops.

You need to look for one that is smallish. Around 150 to 200 lbs or so is good. They are delicious! Until they get up around 350 or bigger. Then they start tasting gamey. And if you can, avoid any male (especially big males). When they are in rut their meat stinks.

There are millions of them all over the southeast. I know in south Georgia there are farmers who will let you hunt their land for free. The feral hogs are destroying their crops.

You need to look for one that is smallish. Around 150 to 200 lbs or so is good. They are delicious! Until they get up around 350 or bigger. Then they start tasting gamey. And if you can, avoid any male (especially big males). When they are in rut their meat stinks.

I was invited to hunt with friends on an old rice plantation around Yemassee... I didn't hunt.. I am afraid of those feral hogs.

I did roast a small one in the late 1980s for my son and his college friends. It turned out very good.

I was invited to hunt with friends on an old rice plantation around Yemassee... I didn't hunt.. I am afraid of those feral hogs.

I did roast a small one in the late 1980s for my son and his college friends. It turned out very good.

You have to be careful. That is for sure. I've never had one come close to hurting me. But the threat is why I use a big gun.

My husband went on a feral hog hunt with a friend some years ago. Everyone else had rifles. He had a revolver with .454 Casull 300-grain bullets. Took it down with one shot. He's good. :~)

BTW, he said the meat was amazing.

My husband went on a feral hog hunt with a friend some years ago. Everyone else had rifles. He had a revolver with .454 Casull 300-grain bullets. Took it down with one shot. He's good. :~)

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk with me when I hunt. But I like my Marlin rifle.

Was watching an episode of Chopped.
One of the ingredients was rack of Wild Boar ribs!
They looked amazing.
Anyone tried these,or know where Boar is available?
Ick, Ick, Ick! I’ve tried wild boar on several occasions and one the nastiest, gamiest meats there is. You can’t even cover it up by making sausage with it.

Wow....very impressive...He must be some kind of "gun humper" then, right? I do remember you mentioning that you have a few custom made single shot handguns. Who made them, if I might ask? And how do know what caliber and especially what grain bullet he used? Does he use his 454 Casuall for silhouette shooting? What distance did he shoot silhouette and with what?
It's all so fascinating isn't it? I look forward to your answers! TIA

Last edited:
Ick, Ick, Ick! I’ve tried wild boar on several occasions and one the nastiest, gamiest meats there is. You can’t even cover it up by making sausage with it.

One way that I have had it is as an hor dourve.... and perhaps it wasn't from a large old hog.

Cubes of the lean meat are marinated overnight in brine and spices. Then each cube is wrapped in bacon and grilled.

The meat has very little fat so the bacon helps with that.

Back