Investors causing hunger among the worlds poor.

Cattle in China ? Not much, Pigs, chicken and fish mostly with a few cats and dogs.

Cattle are ancestors in parts of India.

Ever raise pigs and chickens ? they eat anything and everything.

Yeah you sure are smarter than the BBC and german news agancies and also the middle eastern ones. :rolleyes:

Cattle in China ? Not much, Pigs, chicken and fish mostly with a few cats and dogs.

Cattle are ancestors in parts of India.

Ever raise pigs and chickens ? they eat anything and everything.

Yeah you sure are smarter than the BBC and german news agancies and also the middle eastern ones. :rolleyes:

China is the second largest consumer of corn in the world.... India is sixth. Their demand continues to grow moron.

So you don't use any grain to feed chickens or hogs or yaks or water buffalo?

As far as their eating cattle... in the PAST they have not consumed as much beef, because they could not afford it. Now they can moron.... they are eating more meat. Do try to keep up with what is going on in the world.

Investors looking for a safe place to invest money have driven up commodity prices causing it to be unaffordable by the worlds poorest.

So you don't see China and India's increased purchasing power as an factor in commoditiy prices? How about energy costs? Combination of the two? Low yeilds/higher demands?

http://www.nrsm.uq.edu.au/discussionpapers/1998/anredp398.pdf

Try reading that. Then come back and tell me just how smart your BBC journalists are again.

so they are my BBC journalists ? Hmm I wish so.
I still think they are using people that are more expert than you are.

regardless it is perception that sells here and in the world. And the worlds perception is that we are directly causing much of their ills.

And besides it was not me that was stupid enough to vote for Bush now was it ?

I wasn't going to bring that up but since you sling the stupid around.

Last edited:
so they are my BBC journalists ? Hmm I wish so.
I still think they are using people that are more expert than you are.

regardless it is perception that sells here and in the world. And the worlds perception is that we are directly causing much of their ills.

And besides it was not me that was stupid enough to vote for Bush now was it ?

I wasn't going to bring that up but since you sling the stupid around.

I seriously doubt they are.... and yes, when you quote someone, I attribute their position to you.

It is a bullshit perception being spread by morons that either do not understand what is driving grain prices.... or they simply were not capable of explaining what they meant to a person like you with no understanding of the futures world.... and for the record, no... a "perception" does not make something reality. Your repeating a comment that investors cause grain prices to be too high remains idiotic.... no matter how many times you or they try to push that moronic perception.

No matter how many times you want to bring Bush into this discussion, it does not matter. I know that is your security blanket that you like to toss around to protect your stupidity on other topics. But Bush has nothing to do with the grain prices.

Grain shortages are not caused by investors..... they are caused by too much demand for the supply.

Yep just like I was a moron on the war and no WMD's and Bush.
I like being that kind of Moron :clink:

What kind of moron do you guys like to be ?

Yep just like I was a moron on the war and no WMD's and Bush.
I like being that kind of Moron :clink:

What kind of moron do you guys like to be ?

Again with your moronic clinging to that security blanket. What's the matter? Too embarrassed to simply admit you were flat out wrong and that you have absolutely no understanding of what is causing grain prices to increase?

You are pathetic.

I understand why grain prices are climbing and it is not only the reason you are saying. Overinvestment also plays a part.

I understand why grain prices are climbing and it is not only the reason you are saying. Overinvestment also plays a part.

Stick to your "Bush is evil" comments. You have no business discussing this issue. I would be willing to bet you didn't read the pdf on how China was seeing continuing increases in their BEEF consumption as they urbanize and gain wealth.

Also, yes, speculation can play a role in short term spikes in grain, but the vast majority of the move in grain prices is due to supply and demand issues. NOT investing.

uscit.

Do the stock prices cause your can of coke to cost more?

Seriously. It is the same thing. Stock prices have nothing to do with the price you pay for something in the store. It doesn't matter if Coke Stocks go through the roof tomorrow on some weird popularity trend, the price will remain the same in the store, it won't effect supply and demand because people like the K stock.

Stock prices are a bit different from commodity futures.

And the law of supply and demand works on investments as well. If too many are wanting to put money into a certain thing they drive the price up.

but it seems our finiancial spurts on here do not realize that.

And the law of supply and demand works on investments as well. If too many are wanting to put money into a certain thing they drive the price up.

No, actually the commodity prices work exactly like the stock prices do.

Supply and demand for a share of Coke stock does not, as Damo put it, drive up the price of the coke you buy. It simply drives up the price of the stock if demand outweighs supply.

As I already explained (and you ignored) the vast majority of futures contracts are CASH transactions. The underlying commodity does not change hands. By far the biggest driver of commodity prices is supply and demand. No matter how many times you try to spin your way out of your intial posts stupidity.... saying ..."well, investors buying futures contracts means people cannot afford to buy grain etc..." remains ignorant.

No matter how many people want to buy K stock it won't make the price of the soda in the store go up. It doesn't work that way. The stock itself is what is in short supply, not the product produced by the company.

As for futures you are simply betting that the demand will outstrip the supply and make you rich, it doesn't matter how many people try to buy the futures, the price is created on how much grain to how much demand there is for it.

And if the futures go up the sellers know they can get that for the commodity.

I guess oil speculation does not drive up the price of oil either ?

And if the futures go up the sellers know they can get that for the commodity.

I guess oil speculation does not drive up the price of oil either ?
Of course it doesn't. Otherwise people wouldn't lose their shirt in speculation. How much people buy shares of something for has no effect on supply and demand. Sometimes you bet wrong.

Al-Naimi: Market Speculation Affects Oil Prices

Just the first hit on got on a search. No cherrypicking was involved.

08/03/2008

By Latif Al-Arousoni

Rabat, Asharq Al-Awsat- Ali Al-Naimi, Saudi minister of petroleum and mineral resources, has declared that it is difficult, if not impossible, to predict the future price of oil, which has now exceeded $100, because the factor that will decide the price is speculation in the future markets.

After presiding over the opening session of the 14th meeting of the Advisory Committee of the Mineral Resources Sector in the Arab countries in Rabat, Al-Naimi told Asharq al-Awsat that the task of the oil-producing countries is to ensure the soundness of the foundations of the oil business.

He said," As producers and exporters, it interests us to let supply and demand be equal to each other and to ensure that the oil reserves in the consumer countries remain at stable and moderate levels."

The petroleum minister went on to say that in the past the oil price hinged on these foundations and that today, there is no connection between the foundations of the oil business and the price.

He added that the factors that influenced the oil price had always been global economic growth and the geopolitical situation of the oil-producing countries. However, market speculations and the purchase of future stocks recently entered into the equation. These new factors, he pointed out, are having a significant impact on market fluctuations and as a result, it has become difficult to maintain price stability because world financiers found a new way of making profits by pumping large sums into the operations of future stocks. He remarked that for this reason no single country or organization can control the price.

http://www.asharq-e.com/news.asp?section=6&id=12024

Back