Just booked a vacation in Orlando...

One time my father took me and my two brothers to Coney Island after we went to visit his sister (my aunt) in Brooklyn. I don't remember why my mom wasn't there, but I feel like she was sick. Anyway, we saw this ride and I wanted to go on it, I thought it was a Haunted House. And I told my Dad, it's a haunted house ride. He had no idea so we got on, and we had my younger brother with me, who was really very young the poor thing. Me and my older brother were in our early teens at least.

It wasn't a haunted house at all, it was just painted with spooky images on the outside. It was one of those gravity spinners. My fucking father went nuts, he was trying to hold onto my little brother while yelling out "Darla I'm going to kill you" and my older brother was laughing hysterically. I'm stopping during writing this because I'm laughing that hard just remembering it.

Well when it finally stopped I was scared, but my father was so relieved that it was over that he just said, I need to go get a drink, and he wasn't even mad at me. He was shaking like a leaf and white as a ghost the rest of the day. I'll never forget it.

Oh Lord, those type of ride do the same to me. The generic nickname I have for them is "Whirl and Hurl." I'll do any kind of coaster, no problem. I've been mountain climbing in the Tetons, 1000' up on a rock face, heights don't scare me, but Whirl and Hurls do!

Last edited:
One time my father took me and my two brothers to Coney Island after we went to visit his sister (my aunt) in Brooklyn. I don't remember why my mom wasn't there, but I feel like she was sick. Anyway, we saw this ride and I wanted to go on it, I thought it was a Haunted House. And I told my Dad, it's a haunted house ride. He had no idea so we got on, and we had my younger brother with me, who was really very young the poor thing. Me and my older brother were in our early teens at least.

It wasn't a haunted house at all, it was just painted with spooky images on the outside. It was one of those gravity spinners. My fucking father went nuts, he was trying to hold onto my little brother while yelling out "Darla I'm going to kill you" and my older brother was laughing hysterically. I'm stopping during writing this because I'm laughing that hard just remembering it.

Well when it finally stopped I was scared, but my father was so relieved that it was over that he just said, I need to go get a drink, and he wasn't even mad at me. He was shaking like a leaf and white as a ghost the rest of the day. I'll never forget it.

haha!

That reminds me of the time I coerced my mom and my younger brother (~4 or 5 at the time) to get on the rocking boat. It looked innocent enough. But the rocking boat actually drops your stomach. She was holding on to my little brother for dear life and my older brother and I almost died laughing.

Good times.

I really liked Sea World, it is better than Animal Kingdom. What I did like at AK was the dino ride, but again, my kids were small and it was the first year it opened, on a later visit. My folks moved to Boca Raton in 1994, then we did Disney World like 15 times, then it got old. Haven't been back since 1999, would like to know what's new and if worth going.

BTW, my fav ride was "Tower of Terror." I like roller coasters, Disney's are tame. I hate, hate, hate ferris wheels.

Agree on ferris wheels and Tower of Terror.

Agree on ferris wheels and Tower of Terror.

I don't know when my fear of ferris wheels started, I think I liked them when I was little. But by teens, :eek: , I always picture being stuck, climbing down, and falling!

Tower of Terror is awesome. I think one day rode it like 10 times, each time was better.

My son conned me into riding something called the SkyCoaster for father's day years ago.

Think 120 foot tall towers with ropes and a harness. Free fall from hell.

You would think a guy with a fear of heights would have better sense, but we Dads do all sorts of shit for the entertainment of our kids.

Darla, your story was the best! I totally identify with your Dad.

I got into the Hyatt cypress resort for like $100bucks a day off of price line and it blew away the Disney resorts i have stayed at. I will never not use price line for Orlando again.

http://grandcypress.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp
I went to orbitz, priceline, travelocity, expedia, directly to Disney, and called a local travel agent.

I wound up booking through expedia, the exact same vacation at any of the others was more expensive and didn't have the cancellation insurance to boot.

Travelocity does, but you can only cancel for specific reasons, even while being more expensive, with expedia I can cancel for any reason.

I went to orbitz, priceline, travelocity, expedia, directly to Disney, and called a local travel agent.

I wound up booking through expedia, the exact same vacation at any of the others was more expensive and didn't have the cancellation insurance to boot.

Travelocity does, but you can only cancel for specific reasons, even while being more expensive, with expedia I can cancel for any reason.

well sounds like you did your due diligence then. Have a great time. FYI and you prob already know but if your going to Universal its cheaper to buy online before hand.

My son conned me into riding something called the SkyCoaster for father's day years ago.

Think 120 foot tall towers with ropes and a harness. Free fall from hell.

You would think a guy with a fear of heights would have better sense, but we Dads do all sorts of shit for the entertainment of our kids.

Darla, your story was the best! I totally identify with your Dad.

He used to tell that story to other people a lot too. It was one of those things that was really funny after it was over. But not so much during. Not for me anyway. lol

well sounds like you did your due diligence then. Have a great time. FYI and you prob already know but if your going to Universal its cheaper to buy online before hand.
Is Universal worth it? I have the Disney-hopper tickets, but I didn't get anything else because I just don't know what we want to do.

:dunno:

It's not like I got to go on tons of vacations as a kid and I just don't know what is worth it.

Is Universal worth it? I have the Disney-hopper tickets, but I didn't get anything else because I just don't know what we want to do.

It's not like I got to go on tons of vacations as a kid and I just don't know what is worth it.

I really liked universal/islands. Islands have all the rides like hulk, dueling draggons, the wet rides, etc and universal is more theme based but has a sweet mummy ride in the dark right next to an Irish pub i recommend. Universal also allows you to drink in line which is different then Disney.

I really liked universal/islands. Islands have all the rides like hulk, dueling draggons, the wet rides, etc and universal is more theme based but has a sweet mummy ride in the dark right next to an Irish pub i recommend. Universal also allows you to drink in line which is different then Disney.
Are the rides kid-friendly? Even the eldest of mine are not so happy with the rides I like to go on.

I think you might find the Disney Hopper passes a waste. Why spend your time in transit between parks? If you get the maps for the various parks, take a look and try to pre-plan what rides you want to hit rather than bouncing back and forth randomly like a pinball. If you are staying in a Disney hotel, you can get into the parks an hour before ti opens to the public - take advantage of it! Learn how to use the FAST PASS system at Disney. Also get familiar with the road maps at DIS (unless you are riding transport). A good place to eat for fairly inexpensive is Sweet Tomatoes on Sand Lake or Kirkman(??), near Universal. Buffet style salad bar, pasta, desserts, hot soups.

Last edited:
I think you might find the Disney Hopper passes a waste. Why spend your time in transit between parks? If you get the maps for the various parks, take a look and try to pre-plan rather than bouncing back and forth randomly like a pinball. Learn how to use the FAST PASS system at Disney.
Yeah, I thought of that, but they were only about $10 more per person, and what if I get bored at Disney and want to go back to Animal Kingdom?

How early should we get to Animal Kingdom? I have no idea. I suck at this kind of stuff and I want the kids to have good memories that will last a lifetime, not disappointment because their father has no idea how to get the most out of Disney.

Aughhh... What have I set myself up for?!

dont try to see everything, just enjoy and relax.

Ask them to help you plan it. They can tell you what they want to see and it is a good lesson for them in planing their priorities.

Kids enjoy the anticipation as much as the event.

Yeah, I thought of that, but they were only about $10 more per person, and what if I get bored at Disney and want to go back to Animal Kingdom?

How early should we get to Animal Kingdom? I have no idea. I suck at this kind of stuff and I want the kids to have good memories that will last a lifetime, not disappointment because their father has no idea how to get the most out of Disney.

Aughhh... What have I set myself up for?!

Go against the grain of traffic (counterclockwise). I found animal kingdom best in the morning if u have the early pass. gates open and make v-line for the safari as the animals are eating then.

Go check out some message boards on the parks for ideas.

Go against the grain of traffic (counterclockwise). I found animal kingdom best in the morning if u have the early pass. gates open and make v-line for the safari as the animals are eating then.

Go check out some message boards on the parks for ideas.
Good ideas. And I heard that early is best for Animal Kingdom. I've got some time to plan this out. No need to panic yet.

My favorite x every in Orlando was in early November last year. no more then 5-10min wait anywhere. Also food and drink festival in Epcot was awesome.

Good ideas. And I heard that early is best for Animal Kingdom. I've got some time to plan this out. No need to panic yet.

The 'Unofficial Guide to Disney World" is worth its weight in gold. Of course you could go to the library...

Back