Let's be honest about how we live.

billy the 1993 ombra was passed without one single republican vote.

Gore the VP had to use his vote in congress to pass it against HUGE republican ooposition.

The democrats were the fiscal party NOT the republicans

in ten years they will be claiming that Obama care was their idea.

at least with that one they have some reality to base it on.

BTW the republicans said it would destroy the country.

they fought it tooth and nail.

they acted just like they do now about Obamacare

billy the 1993 ombra was passed without one single republican vote.

Gore the VP had to use his vote in congress to pass it against HUGE republican ooposition.

The democrats were the fiscal party NOT the republicans

You are truly clueless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omnibus_Budget_Reconciliation_Act_of_1993

I was old enough to be and adult and watch this whole thing take place.

The second it passed I turned to my husband and said "Watch the republicans try to take credit for this one"

and I was dead right.

I have seen righties try to claim it repetedly.

why does the right lie so much?

Specifics[edit source]
It created 36 percent and 39.6 income tax rates for individuals in the top 1.2% of the wage earners.[2]
It created a 35 percent income tax rate for corporations.
The cap on Medicare taxes was repealed.
Transportation fuels taxes were raised by 4.3 cents per gallon.
The taxable portion of Social Security benefits was raised.
The phase-out of the personal exemption and limit on itemized deductions were permanently extended.
Part IV Section 14131: Expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit and added inflation adjustments

Legislative history[edit source]

Ultimately every Republican in Congress voted against the bill, as did a number of Democrats. Vice President Al Gore broke a tie in the Senate on both the Senate bill and the conference report. The House bill passed 219-213 on Thursday, May 27, 1993.[1] The House passed the conference report on Thursday, August 5, 1993, by a vote of 218 to 216 (217 Democrats and 1 independent (Sanders (I-VT)) voting in favor; 41 Democrats and 175 Republicans voting against).[2] The Senate passed the conference report on the last day before their month's vacation, on Friday, August 6, 1993, by a vote of 51 to 50 (50 Democrats plus Vice President Gore voting in favor, 6 Democrats (Lautenberg (D-NJ), Bryan (D-NV), Nunn (D-GA), Johnston (D-LA), Boren (D-OK), and Shelby (D-AL) now (R-AL)) and 44 Republicans voting against). President Clinton signed the bill on August 10, 1993.

the CBO gives this bill the lions share of the credit for the budget surpluses of the 90s.

then Bush got into office and Poof they were gone

Let's see here Desh...

1) Billy's cartoon was about the history of the federal income tax rate and times when it has goes up and down

2) Billy's cartoon MOCKED the Republicans, which of course you completely missed

3) And of course because you missed it you go on some ten post rant which has nothing to do with the OP or the subject being discussed trying to derail Taichi's thread.

Well done.

Last edited:
Quote Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
Agreed....but let us remember that the majority of the wealthy INHERITED it...aka the "lucky sperm club".

I have no problem with "winners and losers" so long as the "losers" are not punished by the "winners" or are denied alternative means to "win" or just basically live a decent life.

Do you have any links to show evidence that the majority of wealthy people inherited it?

Also, if I work hard and earn great wealth so I can provide for my family, are my children and grandchildren any less for that?

Whoops, I made an error.....it's not the "majority" that actually inherited, as shown here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...it-its-wealth/2011/11/04/gIQA4T8kmM_blog.html

And no one is saying that your kids and grands are "any less for that"....what I am saying that if they endorse/support laws that favor their wealth while being punitive or restrictive to those "less fortunate", then that's the problem....examples being corporate welfare, the Bush tax cuts, outsourcing, downsizing, off shore accounts, etc.

Unfortunately in the real world, that is not the case. Nepotism, favors, "legacy" placements have long been the norm in our society.

As I stated, it's not so much the competition but what the "winners" overall do afterward in their treatment of others that is the problem.

So the competition itself is not a problem. The problem is the way we treat each other? Wow, where have I heard that before?

Elucidate, my friend, elucidate!

Yes they are. If they weren't raised by wolves than they're going to be shitty people.

This guy/girl is a moderator, so I can't put him on my ignore list....so we'll have to put up with his moronic attempts at sarcasm here. No further response or acknowledgement is the best way to ignore him.

Agreed....but let us remember that the majority of the wealthy INHERITED it...aka the "lucky sperm club".

I have no problem with "winners and losers" so long as the "losers" are not punished by the "winners" or are denied alternative means to "win" or just basically live a decent life.

You got a link to that bolded?

http://www.justplainpolitics.com/sh...nest-about-how-we-live.&p=1328519#post1328519

But it has been PROVEN that standardized test are NOT the be all, end all to determine a persons worth or potential in society for the rest of their lives. Remember, Einstein FAILED a standardized test at one point.

I agree with the premise, but think you may have overstated? Got a link to bolded?

Again, I stand corrected:

3- Einstein never failed math
Einstein knew the value of failure, so had he failed some math class back in the day, he would’ve been the first to admit it. Instead, “Einstein failed math” has become a convenient myth, a nice way to introduce an unexpected oddity. It was even featured in the famous newspaper column, “Ripley’s Believe it or Not!”

Well, don’t believe it. Walter Isaacson, in his book Einstein: His Life and Universe, even quotes Einstein’s response to the Ripley item: “I never failed in mathematics. Before I was 15 I had mastered differential and integral calculus.”

He did, however, fail to get a job in academics following college graduation, which is why he spent so many years working in the Swiss Patent Office.

http://www.askmen.com/entertainment/special_feature_150/155b_special_feature.html

More info is needed, but this article disagrees with the point TaiChi made:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/moneybu...ividuals-earned-not-inherited-their-wealth-2/

"Recently, PNC Wealth Management conducted a survey of people with more than $500,000 free to invest as they like, a fair definition of “wealthy,” and possibly “millionaire” once you begin including home equity and other assets. Only 6% of those surveyed earned their money from inheritance alone. 69% earned their wealth mostly by trading time and effort for money, or by “working.”"

Is 1/3 considered "most"?

http://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0211/how-the-rich-got-that-way.aspx

"Inheritance is clearly one of the proven pathways to getting rich. About one-third of the 50 richest Americans can tie their wealth directly to being the fortunate son or daughter of wealthy parents."

This last link sums it up best:

http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2008/01/14/the-decline-of-inherited-money/

"1. According to a study of Federal Reserve data conducted by NYU professor Edward Wolff, for the nation’s richest 1%, inherited wealth accounted for only 9% of their net worth in 2001, down from 23% in 1989. (The 2001 number was the latest available.)

2. According to a study by Prince & Associates, less than 10% of today’s multi-millionaires cited “inheritance” as their source of wealth.

3. A study by Spectrem Group found that among today’s millionaires, inherited wealth accounted for just 2% of their total sources of wealth.

Each of these stats measures slightly different things, yet they all come to the same basic conclusion: Inheritance is not the main driver of today’s wealth. The reason we’ve had a doubling in the number of millionaires and billionaires over the past decade (even adjusted for inflation) is that more of the non-wealthy have become wealthy.

So it’s not just that the same old rich folks are getting richer. The more-important shift is that the rich are getting more numerous."

See my reply to you today.

But it has been PROVEN that standardized test are NOT the be all, end all to determine a persons worth or potential in society for the rest of their lives. Remember, Einstein FAILED a standardized test at one point.

Sure. Its not the most precise ever. Is it cost efficient? Do you have another way to provide educational standards and nationalized testing? If we took away the SAT/ACT, for instance, what would replace it?

Man, there has been a slew of options and alternatives offered. Here's just one look:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-standardized-testing-for-student-assessment/

Oh, and I was wrong about Einstein.

This guy/girl is a moderator, so I can't put him on my ignore list....so we'll have to put up with his moronic attempts at sarcasm here. No further response or acknowledgement is the best way to ignore him.

Who said I was being sarcastic? If you're trying to help your children by being a good parent you're being unfair to children with shitty parents. That's an unfair advantage isn't it?

Back