Let's discuss racism

Sun Devil

Death and Taxes
Since "Ishmale" was too scared to make a thread to discuss racism I thought I'd create one since he didn't. So, well, let's have at it (Opening Pandora's Box).

Since "Ishmale" was too scared to make a thread to discuss racism I thought I'd create one since he didn't. So, well, let's have at it (Opening Pandora's Box).
I don't know where you want to go with this but I can tell you from my own personal experience that when you're in an interacial marriage to someone from a completely different culture, like I am, you learn real quick just how ethnocentric you really are and that is ultimately the the primary source of all racism. I'm telling you...it can be hard looking in that mirror and seeing what's staring back at you. Particularly if you are honest with yourself.

I don't know where you want to go with this but I can tell you from my own personal experience that when you're in an interacial marriage to someone from a completely different culture, like I am, you learn real quick just how ethnocentric you really are and that is ultimately the the primary source of all racism. I'm telling you...it can be hard looking in that mirror and seeing what's staring back at you. Particularly if you are honest with yourself.

Interesting. Are you saying that the difficulties you face in your interracial relationship results from your own personal prejudices or is it because the person you're with does things differently based on their own culture?

Yea it's ugly man. Looking at the truth on this subject can be plain UGLY!
Like I said, my 20 year old son is dating an Asian girl. I think he is amazingly non racist...but there are those moments when you do realize how centered in your own culture you are. Son's GF is first gen Thai. My father danced with African American girls at college dances back in the early 1960's. Things were very racist then.

Ethnocentrism... does it come into play when you visit your wife's family in their country? Or when they visit you?

I don't think it will ever go away completely and understand how pessimistic that sounds. I think racism is on a continuum and some people will always be racist, kinda like some people will always hate broccoli no matter how much you try to persuade them that it's good for them.

Who were the racists in the Trayvon Martin tragedy?

Racist in the Trayvon Martin tragedy....

Hmmmm...From my understanding the media started a firestorm of describing the ethnicity of Zimmerman and people followed suit in thinking this was a racial issue. I think people especially those like myself were more concerned about a little unarmed kid shot in the chest by a wannabe cop and woman beater. So as far as racism I didn't see none unless you can point specifically where or who made racist claims.

I don't think it will ever go away completely and understand how pessimistic that sounds. I think racism is on a continuum and some people will always be racist, kinda like some people will always hate broccoli no matter how much you try to persuade them that it's good for them.

I know. It's interesting because some military buddies of mine always say:

"Why do you refer to yourself as African-American? Why not refer to yourself as American?"

Unfortunately, they don't realize that since the settlers "found the New World" the system of racial consciousness was established. The Eurocentric model became a pervasive model and was always used as a litmus test to base other cultures. Politicians as you know, exploit race and people still wonder why society is still racially conscious.

Back