Luxury Watches

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
My wife wants to buy me a nice entry level luxury watch for the bling bling I’ve bought her over the years. I’d like some suggestions as to what to buy. I have a budget of $3,000 to $6,000. My initial go to watch is a Rolex Oyster Perpetual. I definitely want a mechanical watch and have a preference for understated value and craftsmanship. Any informed suggestions would be appreciated.

U-BOAT Italo Fontana

U-BOAT Italo Fontana

U-Boat-U42.jpg

You would have to buy a metal band for this watch?!!

In Thailand, the ladies all seem to want a Cartier J12. I managed to get a white ceramic one for £2 grand off eBay a couple of years back.

H0967.jpg

In Thailand, the ladies all seem to want a Cartier J12. I managed to get a white ceramic one for £2 grand off eBay a couple of years back.

View attachment 16310

That’s another issue I’m concerned about. How did you make sure it wasn’t a counterfeit watch when buying on line. That’s a lovely watch, btw, but not quite what I’m looking for stylistically but a Cartier J12 would be on the short list for my wife.

My wife wants to buy me a nice entry level luxury watch for the bling bling I’ve bought her over the years. I’d like some suggestions as to what to buy. I have a budget of $3,000 to $6,000. My initial go to watch is a Rolex Oyster Perpetual. I definitely want a mechanical watch and have a preference for understated value and craftsmanship. Any informed suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't understand why anyone would spend that on a watch. I thought spending $93 was excessive.

I don't understand why anyone would spend that on a watch. I thought spending $93 was excessive.

Well for a number of reasons. Their history, their beauty, their intricate engineering and craftsmanship, their quality and durability, they retain their value extremely well as compared to most other jewelry which often only retain the value of the materials involved, their accuracy, there style. They also show you appreciate a finely made instrument and that you’ve achieved a certain status.

You’re question is like asking why buy a custom tailored English wool suit when you can buy one off the rack at Walmart for far less. Because you want to present a better image.

But it’s really a moot question as I’m not buying it. :)

Well for a number of reasons. Their history, their beauty, their intricate engineering and craftsmanship, their quality and durability, they retain their value extremely well as compared to most other jewelry which often only retain the value of the materials involved, their accuracy, there style. They also show you appreciate a finely made instrument and that you’ve achieved a certain status.

You’re question is like asking why buy a custom tailored English wool suit when you can buy one off the rack at Walmart for far less. Because you want to present a better image.

But it’s really a moot question as I’m not buying it. :)

I think I'd just assume have something with more substance to it throwing that money down. That was my entire 2018 cross country trip budget. That includes all the gas, meals, wine, and local goodies. With an expensive watch you get something that tells time and something that looks flashy. If you get one that will only increase in value, that might be more substantial.

I think I'd just assume have something with more substance to it throwing that money down. That was my entire 2018 cross country trip budget. That includes all the gas, meals, wine, and local goodies. With an expensive watch you get something that tells time and something that looks flashy. If you get one that will only increase in value, that might be more substantial.

Yeah. Plus he's a walking 'Dollar Sign' in Foreign Countries, just ripe for the picking. (or mugging) :(

Back