Luxury Watches

Where's my 10% for recommending it? It's certainly a nice looking watch may you have many happy hours playing with it...and the watch as well!

Thanks for the tip on Ball watches. I wish my father was still with us. He’d of got a big kick out of this watch.

My Grandfather worked for the Nickel Plate RR.

The Nickel Plate RR is one of my favorite RR, they were one of the prominent RR in Findlay and Fostoria Ohio area in the 1950's and 1960's. Nickel Plate RR was merged into Norfolk and Western RR in 1964.

They ran one of my favorite engines, the GP-9. I plan on getting a small scale train set, a Nickle Plate GP-9 engine and all the cars.

https://www.nkphts.org/

nkp530.jpg

The Nickel Plate RR is one of my favorite RR, they were one of the prominent RR in Findlay and Fostoria Ohio area in the 1950's and 1960's. Nickel Plate RR was merged into Norfolk and Western RR in 1964.

They ran one of my favorite engines, the GP-9. I plan on getting a small scale train set, a Nickle Plate GP-9 engine and all the cars.

https://www.nkphts.org/

nkp530.jpg
I have a photo of the NP steam locomotive my Grandfather was the conductor for during the war years in my den.

His nickname at work was Mope because of his hangdog look and the way he mumbled “ All Abourd” when he conducted passenger trains.

Omega and Breitling have pieces which fit squarely inside your price range. You might find a pre-owned Rolex, but then you're limited by what's available on the used market. Right now, Rolex AD's aren't getting a lot of stock, and they're inflating the prices of the pieces they do have. About a month ago I found a Rolex GMT II (with the "Batman" bezel). I think the list price is around $11,000, which is painful in its own right, but the dealer was asking just over $15,000, with no apologies (and no discounts!).

I have numerous pieces of many different brands, and the three I wear most often are my Breitling Colt 43, my Oris Williams F1 and my Omega Seamaster 300 Co-Ax.

Just remember, once you get into the Swiss watch market, it's hard to go wrong...

How's the watch going, Mott??

Works like a charm. I was at a sales meeting recently when after the meeting our director of corporate accounts was showing off her new Breitling Navitimer watch. So I showed them my Ball Cannon Ball and stole her thunder. They in particular liked the RR Standard motif as most luxury watches have either a naval, auto racing, or aerospace motif. Our VP of sales was wearing a Rolex Submariner which cost substantially more than either her Breitling or my Ball watch (which cost about the same) and he specifically said he’d have to consider buying a Ball watch specifically to add a RR Standard watch to his collection.

Omega and Breitling have pieces which fit squarely inside your price range. You might find a pre-owned Rolex, but then you're limited by what's available on the used market. Right now, Rolex AD's aren't getting a lot of stock, and they're inflating the prices of the pieces they do have. About a month ago I found a Rolex GMT II (with the "Batman" bezel). I think the list price is around $11,000, which is painful in its own right, but the dealer was asking just over $15,000, with no apologies (and no discounts!).

I have numerous pieces of many different brands, and the three I wear most often are my Breitling Colt 43, my Oris Williams F1 and my Omega Seamaster 300 Co-Ax.

Just remember, once you get into the Swiss watch market, it's hard to go wrong...
When I was shopping I looked at Breitling, IWC, TAG Huer and a few others that were in my price range. All very nice watches.

I boiled it down to three watches, a used Rolex date/time, a new Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch and a Ball Traimaster Cannonball. All three nice watches but the used Rolex was still several thousand more than my budget and the Omega and Ball were in budget. The Moonwatch had a great storyline as it was worn by the Astronauts during the Apollo Missions and I was born in the same small town Neil Armstrong grew up in. However, as great a watch as the Moonwatch is, the fact that it wasn’t an auto wind and it has an acrylic crystal that’s no where near as nice as a modern sapphire crystal. The Rolex was over 20 years old, had some wear and tear and was built prior to the advent of 930 AHSS. The Ball Cannonball was certainly a nicer appearing watch and it’s anti-shock technology was something neither the Rolex or Omega had but the clincher was the Rail Road Standard, which proceeded the Swiss Standard. Since I come from a long line of Rail Road men it was a nice connection and the fact the US RR Standard was developed here in Ohio made that connection even nicer. For my next watch I’d like to get an Illinois RR Standard pocket watch as that’s the actual watch my Grandfather used as a Rail Road Conductor. After that…I’d like to get a Seiko G-Shock for everyday use and then save up for an Omega. I’ll have to keep saving pennies! LOL

Works like a charm. I was at a sales meeting recently when after the meeting our director of corporate accounts was showing off her new Breitling Navitimer watch. So I showed them my Ball Cannon Ball and stole her thunder. They in particular liked the RR Standard motif as most luxury watches have either a naval, auto racing, or aerospace motif. Our VP of sales was wearing a Rolex Submariner which cost substantially more than either her Breitling or my Ball watch (which cost about the same) and he specifically said he’d have to consider buying a Ball watch specifically to add a RR Standard watch to his collection.

I used to have a Ball Master II Engineer:

ball01.jpg

It was an impulse buy and I never really fell in love with it. Believe me when I tell you that resale on Ball watches is in the toilet.

I do like their Hydrocarbon models...

Attachments

• 4795102627_1b60c1a385_o.jpg
    4795102627_1b60c1a385_o.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1
Back