Meet the Martians

I am grateful I am not the only NASA geek on this forum

Sidebar: these are two future NASA missions I am particularly keen on:

The Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope is a NASA observatory designed to settle essential questions in the areas of dark energy, exoplanets and infrared astrophysics.

Europa Lander is a concept for a potential future mission that would look for signs of life in the icy surface material of Jupiter's moon Europa.

I wonder if they are made of balsa wood? :whoa:

Carbon fiber. There's a video in the link which is oddly spooky. I hope the fucking thing flies. :)

https://hackaday.com/2020/09/02/an-up-close-look-at-the-first-martian-helicopter/
According to a paywalled paper by the engineers who designed Ingenuity, NASA was also worried about the phenomenon of blade flapping, which is caused by flexing of the rotor blades above and below the plane of rotation. Without Earth’s thick atmosphere to damp blade flapping, a traditional rotor design would likely tear itself to pieces on Mars. So the blades for Ingenuity were designed to be extremely stiff while at the same time being thin, lightweight, and very broad across the blade root, to provide the extra lift needed in the thin Martian atmosphere. The blades are built from a composite of carbon fiber skins over a molded foam core, and each of the two coaxial rotors is just over 1.2 meters in diameter.

Carbon fiber. There's a video in the link which is oddly spooky. I hope the fucking thing flies. :)

https://hackaday.com/2020/09/02/an-up-close-look-at-the-first-martian-helicopter/
According to a paywalled paper by the engineers who designed Ingenuity, NASA was also worried about the phenomenon of blade flapping, which is caused by flexing of the rotor blades above and below the plane of rotation. Without Earth’s thick atmosphere to damp blade flapping, a traditional rotor design would likely tear itself to pieces on Mars. So the blades for Ingenuity were designed to be extremely stiff while at the same time being thin, lightweight, and very broad across the blade root, to provide the extra lift needed in the thin Martian atmosphere. The blades are built from a composite of carbon fiber skins over a molded foam core, and each of the two coaxial rotors is just over 1.2 meters in diameter.

Not transparent aluminum? lol

Watching the landing was great, am rewatching it a few times. Watching the heat shield fall away to impact the surface of Mars was cool.

Time until the tree huggers scream about human beings littering Mars with their trash. 10....9....8.....

I wonder what farting would sound like on Mars? High pitched screeching? That should wake up quite a few lifeforms and we'd have the evidence.

Yeah not many people know that Mars' atmosphere is really blue due to Rayleigh scattering. It's just usually red due to the dust haze and wind. Not unlike those dust storms in Australia.

Back