Meet the Martians

LOL. :rofl2: Just laughed out loud at that. :rofl2:

I first learned science like most Right Wingers: through comic books. Unlike most of them, I learned science in High School too. :)

1377122-cosmic_rays.jpg

Why not find a way to terraform Venus?

That's harder than fixing climate change...plus it'd still be too hot except at the poles. Generating heat with fusion is easier. Also, there's a lot of raw materials available in the Asteroid Belt. Figuring out how to exploit it will enrich mankind.

That's harder than fixing climate change...plus it'd still be too hot except at the poles. Generating heat with fusion is easier. Also, there's a lot of raw materials available in the Asteroid Belt. Figuring out how to exploit it will enrich mankind.

The pressure on Venus is so enormous it flattened the Russian probe like a syrniki.

And agreed on the asteroids. So much raw materials.

Hello Geeko Sportivo,

Thanks! Yes, it's very interesting stuff. And we learn more about space travel on every mission.

I am not a proponent to send a man to MARS though- just for bragging rights to say we did it.

At some point, we need to use this information we supposedly are learning from the other dead planets and USE IT TO SAVE OURSELVES!

That is all I am saying- use what we learn!

We already know everything we need to know to save ourselves. The problem is convincing people who don't believe we have to.

The pressure on Venus is so enormous it flattened the Russian probe like a syrniki.

And agreed on the asteroids. So much raw materials.

Popular Science magazine had a good article a few years ago about having a lunar refinery facility to launch and recover mining drones to the asteroid belts.

Well with the gravity 38% of the Earth's, it will help with the flying.

The dense atmosphere helps too but the chemicals and winds would be harsh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Venus
The atmosphere of Venus is the layer of gases surrounding Venus. It is composed primarily of carbon dioxide and is much denser and hotter than that of Earth. The temperature at the surface is 740 K (467 °C, 872 °F), and the pressure is 93 bar (1,350 psi), roughly the pressure found 900 m (3,000 ft) underwater on Earth.[1] The Venusian atmosphere supports opaque clouds of sulfuric acid, making optical Earth-based and orbital observation of the surface impossible. Information about the topography has been obtained exclusively by radar imaging.[1] Aside from carbon dioxide, the other main component is nitrogen. Other chemical compounds are present only in trace amounts.[1]

Aside from the very surface layers, the atmosphere is in a state of vigorous circulation.[3] The upper layer of troposphere exhibits a phenomenon of super-rotation, in which the atmosphere circles the planet in just four Earth days, much faster than the planet's sidereal day of 243 days. The winds supporting super-rotation blow at a speed of 100 m/s (≈360 km/h or 220 mph)[3] or more. Winds move at up to 60 times the speed of the planet's rotation, while Earth's fastest winds are only 10% to 20% rotation speed.[4] On the other hand, the wind speed becomes increasingly slower as the elevation from the surface decreases, with the breeze barely reaching the speed of 10 km/h (2.8 m/s) on the surface.[5] Near the poles are anticyclonic structures called polar vortices. Each vortex is double-eyed and shows a characteristic S-shaped pattern of clouds.[6] Above there is an intermediate layer of mesosphere which separates the troposphere from the thermosphere.[3][2] The thermosphere is also characterized by strong circulation, but very different in its nature—the gases heated and partially ionized by sunlight in the sunlit hemisphere migrate to the dark hemisphere where they recombine and downwell.[2]

One idea is to colonize Venus in floating cities 50 Km above the surface: https://archive.is/20120711103532/h.../?APCPCS/654/1193/1#selection-1177.0-1177.543
Although the surface of Venus is an extremely hostile environment, at about 50 kilometers above the surface the atmosphere of Venus is the most earthlike environment (other than Earth itself) in the solar system. It is proposed here that in the near term, human exploration of Venus could take place from aerostat vehicles in the atmosphere, and that in the long term, permanent settlements could be made in the form of cities designed to float at about fifty kilometer altitude in the atmosphere of Venus. © 2003 American Institute of Physics

Hello AProudLefty,

Venus is a bit warm for us.

Yes, but I do not think we have paid enough attention scientifically to Venus. Last year, researchers found evidence of possible life living in the Venetian cloud layers.

Astronomers find possible sign of life on Venus

Traces of a rare molecule known as phosphine have been found in the hellish, heavily acidic atmosphere of Venus, astronomers announced Monday — providing a tantalizing clue about the possibility of life. Phosphine molecules found on Earth are primarily a result of human industry or the actions of microbes that thrive in oxygen-free environments.

The researchers are not claiming life has been detected on the second planet from the sun. But the observations suggest at least the possibility of microbial activity in the upper layers of Venus' atmosphere, well away from the planet's inhospitable surface.

"We have detected a rare gas called phosphine in the atmosphere of our neighbor planet Venus," said Jane Greaves, a professor at Cardiff University in the United Kingdom and lead author of a report published in Nature Astronomy. "And the reason for our excitement is that phosphine gas on Earth is made by microorganisms that live in oxygen-free environments. And so there is a chance that we have detected some kind of living organism in the clouds of Venus."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...le-scientists/

The dense atmosphere helps too but the chemicals and winds would be harsh.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Venus
The atmosphere of Venus is the layer of gases surrounding Venus. It is composed primarily of carbon dioxide and is much denser and hotter than that of Earth. The temperature at the surface is 740 K (467 °C, 872 °F), and the pressure is 93 bar (1,350 psi), roughly the pressure found 900 m (3,000 ft) underwater on Earth.[1] The Venusian atmosphere supports opaque clouds of sulfuric acid, making optical Earth-based and orbital observation of the surface impossible. Information about the topography has been obtained exclusively by radar imaging.[1] Aside from carbon dioxide, the other main component is nitrogen. Other chemical compounds are present only in trace amounts.[1]

Aside from the very surface layers, the atmosphere is in a state of vigorous circulation.[3] The upper layer of troposphere exhibits a phenomenon of super-rotation, in which the atmosphere circles the planet in just four Earth days, much faster than the planet's sidereal day of 243 days. The winds supporting super-rotation blow at a speed of 100 m/s (≈360 km/h or 220 mph)[3] or more. Winds move at up to 60 times the speed of the planet's rotation, while Earth's fastest winds are only 10% to 20% rotation speed.[4] On the other hand, the wind speed becomes increasingly slower as the elevation from the surface decreases, with the breeze barely reaching the speed of 10 km/h (2.8 m/s) on the surface.[5] Near the poles are anticyclonic structures called polar vortices. Each vortex is double-eyed and shows a characteristic S-shaped pattern of clouds.[6] Above there is an intermediate layer of mesosphere which separates the troposphere from the thermosphere.[3][2] The thermosphere is also characterized by strong circulation, but very different in its nature—the gases heated and partially ionized by sunlight in the sunlit hemisphere migrate to the dark hemisphere where they recombine and downwell.[2]

One idea is to colonize Venus in floating cities 50 Km above the surface: https://archive.is/20120711103532/h.../?APCPCS/654/1193/1#selection-1177.0-1177.543
Although the surface of Venus is an extremely hostile environment, at about 50 kilometers above the surface the atmosphere of Venus is the most earthlike environment (other than Earth itself) in the solar system. It is proposed here that in the near term, human exploration of Venus could take place from aerostat vehicles in the atmosphere, and that in the long term, permanent settlements could be made in the form of cities designed to float at about fifty kilometer altitude in the atmosphere of Venus. © 2003 American Institute of Physics

243-day sidereal day? Yikes. It's barely rotating.

Yes, but I do not think we have paid enough attention scientifically to Venus. Last year, researchers found evidence of possible life living in the Venetian cloud layers.

I agree, time for some science on Venus to happen too. We have ROVs that can operate at great depths in the oceans. They should be able to craft something as sturdy to study Venus.

I agree, time for some science on Venus to happen too. We have ROVs that can operate at great depths in the oceans. They should be able to craft something as sturdy to study Venus.
How cool would it be?

This is something we could team up with the Russians on: they have a lot of experience with Venus exploration.

How cool would it be?

This is something we could team up with the Russians on: they have a lot of experience with Venus exploration.

I like the floating cities idea. They could use robots to descend for exploration reasons. That said, money will be made in mining, refining and utilization. It's easier to do on the Moon, Mars and using the Asteroid Belt for raw materials dragged into orbit.

243-day sidereal day? Yikes. It's barely rotating.

A bit warm which is why the poles would be the best place to be given there was a surface colony.

My solution is to take all of the nukes on Earth and nuke the shit out of Venus to blow off the atmosphere then work from there. :)

Not saying it would work, but the light show would be EPIC!

I like the floating cities idea. They could use robots to descend for exploration reasons. That said, money will be made in mining, refining and utilization. It's easier to do on the Moon, Mars and using the Asteroid Belt for raw materials dragged into orbit.

If you are a fan of the movie Avatar, we should be mining unobtanium!

How cool would it be?

Good idea. It's high time we had an International Space Agency as well. Like the U.N. but for space exploration. Forget that stupid Space Farce that the Toadstool cooked up.

If you are a fan of the movie Avatar, we should be mining unobtanium!

It would have to be something we couldn't get more easily elsewhere. As it is, I think the materials we need can be found on the Moon, Mars and the Asteroid Belt.

FWIW, I just watched "Avatar" for the second time this past week. I hadn't seen it since the theater when it first came out. Still a good movie.

Back