Mike Huckabee's Presidential ambitions come to an unexpected halt

Why does Christian beliefs have anything to do with it? Do non-Christians not have compassion? Would an Atheist not have given this guy the commute? I don't understand why it HAS to be because he has Christian beliefs? If Huck were Muslim, would have let the man rot in jail the rest of his life for a crime committed when 16? I don't get the Christian angle here.... can either of you explain your comments?
I think you are right Dixie. I think it is just as likely that an Athiest or (maybe) a Muslim could be moved by their own sense of compassion. But for Huckabee, his faith guides his beliefs of forgiveness and giving people a second chance. He is, in my own mind, a "Sermon on the Mount" Christian, who believes in the power of forgiveness. Many others, some from his own religious and political view point are what I call "eye for an eye" Christians who are stuck in the old testament teachings of vengence and anger. They see his commutation of the mans original sentence as being weak and soft on crime (see the comments of SM). My bet is Huck will find far more criticism from within his party than he will from the outside.

Why does Christian beliefs have anything to do with it? Do non-Christians not have compassion? Would an Atheist not have given this guy the commute? I don't understand why it HAS to be because he has Christian beliefs? If Huck were Muslim, would have let the man rot in jail the rest of his life for a crime committed when 16? I don't get the Christian angle here.... can either of you explain your comments?

I can try. Christianity....real Christianity breeds compassion. Huck claims to be (and seems to be on the surface) a Christian. Stating that what he did was consistent with his beliefs is a compliment to him for not being hypocritical. So many quasi-Christians excell at pointing out the ills of homosexuality and evils of abortion and such but fail miserably when it comes to the compassion side of things. (Matt. 23:23 - ...and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith.)

As to: Would an Atheist not have given this guy the commute? My answer would be: It depends on who that Athiest is. I suspect that many on the left would have commuted this fellows sentence as many on the left are indeed more compassionate than some on the right...especially when it comes to decisions affecting a [young] persons life like this. I couldn't tell you the times when I have sat in meetings with DHS people talking about a troubled teen and they say something like, "if we err in our decision, let's err on the side of mercy..." There are some who would not have though.

As to the Muslim......no way, no how would they (the vast majority of them anyway) have commuted this fellows sentence. In fact, in a some Muslim countries what he did would have gotten him put to death immediately even though he was a teen [child].

Last edited:
Has anyone bothered to look at this from his perspective? He commuted a sentence for a black man who was punished with a 102-year sentence for assault and burglary, when he was 16. He didn't pardon him, he commuted the sentence so the man would be eligible for parole. He did so because the judge in the case recommended it, and because 102 years seems a bit unfair for the crime committed. Had he known the man was going to end up killing 4 police officers, I am certain he would have never commuted his sentence.

Why is no one calling into question the Washington nimrods who turned him lose after 8 more felony convictions, including the rape of a 12-year-old? Seems like, what Huck did for him way back in Arkansas, is kinda academic after 8 more felony convictions, isn't it? And what is the lesson here pinheads? We should never give anyone the benefit of the doubt because they might end up doing something like this?

What is amazing to me is, if Huck were running for prez, and the Dems found some old case where he didn't commute this guy's sentence, they would be calling him every racist name in the book! But because he happened (in this case) to commute the sentence of someone who later did something terrible, the left wants to paint it as Huck's fault! It's kind of a no-win situation for him, isn't it?

great post

What the cons here are missing is that the cons are the ones who will not forgive Huck for this.

Not many left leaning people would vote for Huck anyway.

His career is done because many on the right will never forgive him for this.

Any primary he runs in will ruin him on this issue.

What the cons here are missing is that the cons are the ones who will not forgive Huck for this.

Not many left leaning people would vote for Huck anyway.

His career is done because many on the right will never forgive him for this.

Any primary he runs in will ruin him on this issue.

lol....yet here you are criticizing him and blaming him and here i am saying he is not to blame....

No fool I am merely making an observation.

Any right leaning candidate he comes up against will knock him out early with this issue.

I forgive Huck for this decision but would never vote for him because hes a right wing nutbag.

Any right leaning candidate he comes up against will knock him out early with this issue.

I forgive Huck for this decision but would never vote for him because hes a right wing nutbag.

you're not making simply making an observation, you're blaming him...you even state that you forgive him....if he did nothing wrong, what is there to forgive....

try honesty sometime

There is nothing to forgive him for. He carried out his job in accordance with the law, and as I said earlier, if he had any idea this would have happened he would not have communted this guys sentence, and Dixie is correct, the left would have blasted him for leaving someone in prison for so long that committed a crime when he was only 16 or 17.

I forgive him for his part in making a crime possible.

Our choices have consequences even if they have religious backing.

If he had not reduced the mans sentance this never would have happened.

I dont think the voters who would have voted for him will be so forgiving of his actions

Christianity has everything to do with it. Whether an atheist or Muslim would have commuted Clemmons sentence is the wrong question. The right question is, would Huckabee have commuted Clemmons sentence if Clemmons had claimed to have been a changed man by his newly adopted Muslim faith or by his recent rejection of faith? Not likely.

I forgive him for his part in making a crime possible.

Our choices have consequences even if they have religious backing.

If he had not reduced the mans sentance this never would have happened.

I dont think the voters who would have voted for him will be so forgiving of his actions

your dishonesty is so transparent, what is amazing is that you don't see it....

you falsely claimed you were only making an observation when i said you blamed him....then you say that you forgive him, now you say you forgive him for his part in making a crime possible....that is blaming him, even part blame is still blame you twit

tell me, how is he even remotely at fault when he did not release him, he committed another crime was sent back and released from that crime? there is absolutely zero correlation between his commuting of his sentence and the murder of the cops....

I think you are right Dixie. I think it is just as likely that an Athiest or (maybe) a Muslim could be moved by their own sense of compassion. But for Huckabee, his faith guides his beliefs of forgiveness and giving people a second chance. He is, in my own mind, a "Sermon on the Mount" Christian, who believes in the power of forgiveness. Many others, some from his own religious and political view point are what I call "eye for an eye" Christians who are stuck in the old testament teachings of vengence and anger. They see his commutation of the mans original sentence as being weak and soft on crime (see the comments of SM). My bet is Huck will find far more criticism from within his party than he will from the outside.

I can try. Christianity....real Christianity breeds compassion. Huck claims to be (and seems to be on the surface) a Christian. Stating that what he did was consistent with his beliefs is a compliment to him for not being hypocritical. So many quasi-Christians excell at pointing out the ills of homosexuality and evils of abortion and such but fail miserably when it comes to the compassion side of things. (Matt. 23:23 - ...and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith.)

As to: Would an Atheist not have given this guy the commute? My answer would be: It depends on who that Athiest is. I suspect that many on the left would have commuted this fellows sentence as many on the left are indeed more compassionate than some on the right...especially when it comes to decisions affecting a [young] persons life like this. I couldn't tell you the times when I have sat in meetings with DHS people talking about a troubled teen and they say something like, "if we err in our decision, let's err on the side of mercy..." There are some who would not have though.

As to the Muslim......no way, no how would they (the vast majority of them anyway) have commuted this fellows sentence. In fact, in a some Muslim countries what he did would have gotten him put to death immediately even though he was a teen [child].

Well what I am hearing is... because the man happens to profess a belief in Christianity, this is the reason he commuted the sentence. You are somehow blaming him for being moral based on his religion and not his actions. It's a bit convoluted, don't you think? You don't know that Huck wouldn't have done the same exact thing, had he been Atheist, Muslim, or anything else, but because he is a Christian, you assume that is the only possible reason and justification he would have to commute the sentence! In a way, it is almost a COMPLIMENT to Christianity!

i fail to see how huckabee has any responsibility for this and i fail to see any correlation to dukakis....

huckabee merely commuted (shortened) the guy's sentence, he didn't release him....the BOP released him....he had a 90+ year sentence for a crime he committed at 17....huckabee reduced it to something like 40 or so years, which made him eligible for parole earlier....

further, he was sent back to prison for continued criminal behavior, that supercedes huckabee's earlier commutation of his sentence....and once again, it was the BOP that released him, not huckabee

I can't really blame this on him either. There are plenty of people with similar criminal records who go on to lead normal lives. I don't really think 17 year old should be given more than around 15 years for non-murder crimes either. This could have all been prevented had someone given the dude some abifly.

But most on the right don't share my point of view.

Last edited:
I can't really blame this on him either. There are plenty of people with similar criminal records who go on to lead normal lives. I don't really think 17 year old should be given more than around 15 years for non-murder crimes either. This could have all been prevented had someone given the dude some abifly.

But most on the right don't share my point of view.

other than the drugs, i agree...

other than the drugs, i agree...

Well I don't know if he was bipolar or anything, but he did seem to act in that kind of way. If he was properly diagnosed he should have been given the appropriate treatment for his condition.

Honestly, I would have made the same decision as Huckabee, so I can't fault him.

Well I don't know if he was bipolar or anything, but he did seem to act in that kind of way. If he was properly diagnosed he should have been given the appropriate treatment for his condition.

Honestly, I would have made the same decision as Huckabee, so I can't fault him.

oh...ok, that makes sense then, i though you just wanted to stick him on drugs....good points

Back