My aviation tribute thread

The P-38 dominated in the Pacific. It's long range made it ideal for the distances between land. In Europe it's nose installed guns were so deadly that German pilots were told not to go head to head against it. It's major drawback was it's service ceiling.

P-38 was a beautiful airplane.

My favorite and the most impressive fighter I ever worked on.

VHuEJ7V.jpg
[/

Not only beautiful but deadly to enemy aircraft. I have a friend who is a Raptor driver and he says it's the best fighter he has ever flown.

You were an aircraft technician/mechanic? Did you ever get to go up in one? Oh wow, talk about a bucket list thing!

You were an aircraft technician/mechanic? Did you ever get to go up in one? Oh wow, talk about a bucket list thing!

I was an avionics tech on fighters for 24 years. I got to fly in an F-4 and a F-15 on incentive flights. It was a trip best carnival ride in the world.

No, I was lucky both of my pilots wanted to show me a good time so they took it easy on me. Being nice to ones drivers pays dividends lol.

Heheheheh. Yeah, referring to them as glorified taxi drivers probably would not have gone well for you. :laugh:

The beautiful Sukhoi Su-30 flown by the Russian Knights, the aerobatic demonstration team of the Russian Air Force.

The Spitfire was the classic beauty, and truly an awesome aircraft, but it's ugly duckling sister was the backbone for the British in 1940:

Hawker Hurricane
61vYIexPnJL._AC_SX425_.jpg

I like the Hurricane too, and a plausible argument can be made that it was the Hurricane that really won the Battle of Britain.

I like the Hurricane too, and a plausible argument can be made that it was the Hurricane that really won the Battle of Britain.

It accounted for over 60% of the German losses. Besides being fast and sexy, the Spitfire had a highly elliptical wing which gave it away from a distance. Britains knew it was theirs. Not always so with the more conventional and more numerous Hurricane.

A similar thing happened with B-17 and B-24. The B-24 was more numerous (18K versus 12.7K) and carried a slightly larger bomb payload to drop on Germany, but the sexier B-17 Flying Fortress attracted most of the attention.

640px-Boeing_B-17G_Flying_Fortress_%22Yankee_Lady%22_%281313873195%29.jpg
78a148870c9b009275944be80a0412e3.jpg

Helicopters, like the Hurricane and the B-24, are not as sexy as other aircraft but do most of the work.

This CH-46 Sea Knight in Vietnam is dropping off Marines with it's rear landing gear on a mountain ridge, but it's front end being held up by the rotors.

bc3081cd44ef24940e947fb40a0e0c57.jpg

Back