"My Generation" a 60's documentary by Michael Caine is THE BEST I've ever seen!

Drummie123

Verified User
"My Generation" a 60's documentary by Michael Caine is THE BEST I've ever seen!

My Generation
(2018)
·
1 hr 25 min
TV-PG

https://tubitv.com/movies/466390?utm_source=justwatch-feed&tracking=justwatch-feed

Documentary
The story of Swinging London in the 1960s, when a new generation broke barriers and transformed popular culture through art, music and movies.

DIRECTOR
David Batty

STARRING
Michael Caine
David Bailey
Roger Daltrey
Marianne Faithfull
Paul McCartney

This is a discussion of the film.

MY GENERATION Michael Caine Q&A | BFI London Film Festival 2017
Oct 24, 2017

413K subscribers
The Swinging sixties narrated and presented by Michael Caine himself and featuring an era-defining soundtrack. The BFI's Kate Taylor was joined for an in-depth Q&A session by director David Batty and Sir Michael Caine who presents and narrates the documentary.

My Generation playfully explores the impact of Britain’s working class cultural revolution in the 1960s. Attitudes were changing and everything seemed possible. A wealth of archive footage, contributors including Marianne Faithfull, Paul McCartney, Twiggy, David Bailey and Mary Quant, and a spot-on soundtrack from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and The Who make for an exhilarating journey back in time. Caine is a delightful host and raconteur, sharing priceless anecdotes from the beginning of his career. And throughout this film, which was written by British TV legends Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais, there are wonderful moments that capture the energy, style, fashion and sheer exuberance of that era.

This is a remarkable look at the 60's and it is through the eyes of Michael Caine.

I have never seen anything this greatly informative and enjoyably satisfying.

It is fun, witty and wise.

The music is superb, the images are exciting and interesting and Michael Caine is a guy you can relate to and feel you could have a pint with and it would be a fun time.

I just love this film, and I think you will, too!

Of course you realize that change Caine is talking about generated from the left, Paul Goodman's "Growing up Absurd" wasn't a conservative perspective

What I watched of the film was entertaining, but I don't know how informative, always get skeptical when people place so much emphasis on music as a vehicle of social change

Of course you realize that change Caine is talking about generated from the left, Paul Goodman's "Growing up Absurd" wasn't a conservative perspective

What I watched of the film was entertaining, but I don't know how informative, always get skeptical when people place so much emphasis on music as a vehicle of social change

Please!!!

You guys need to understand that there was once a time when we all got along, Left & Right!!!

I read a comment from someone who'd viewed the film, he said it's a film for those who lived during the 60's. And his comment echoed my sentiments after having just watched it a few weeks ago, and thinking it was terrific, I read some thumbnail reviews from professional reviewers who didn't think much of the film.

And when I looked closer at the screen, I could see that each reviewer was young. Maybe 40 at the oldest.

If you aren't old enough to have been conscious during the 60's, it would help me better understand why you don't like it more than you do.

No offense taken.

I'm just like, "It can't mean to you what it means to me and that's okay."

And yes, music in the 60's WAS INDEED AND ABSOLUTELY WAS a vehicle for social change.

I lived thru the sixties, and as I said, from what I watched from the film it is entertaining, as many are regarding the era, but again, I am skeptical of those that put some much emphasis on the music as this narration and many others do, the music was a secondary byproduct, not the catalyst

Antonioni, at the time a recognized European film maker, made "Blow Up" in the mid sixties which is a real glimpse into what was occurring at the time, it wasn't about music, pop, or art, but the personal questioning of what was real and important and what wasn't, the ultimate quandary of anyone young at that time

Didn't say it was, just pointing out to a winger that what he is admiring from the past would be ideologically opposite of what he believes today

Christ, you're a sad sack, Anchovies.

You can't help yourself, can you?

Poor Anchovies.

And yes, music in the 60's WAS INDEED AND ABSOLUTELY WAS a vehicle for social change.

No it wasn't, the music didn't come about on its own, it was inspired by events occurring at the time, as I said, a product of the time, you are just looking back nostalgically

Christ, you're a sad sack, Anchovies.

You can't help yourself, can you?

Poor Anchovies.

Facts are facts, wonderful to look back nostalgically at anything, but if you are going to raise what you see to a higher level, you have to go beyond reminiscence

He's a miserable old man.

LOL

Thanks!

A stanza from this Elton John song just occurred to me.

I Think I'm Going To Kill Myself · Elton John

"I Think I'm Going To Kill Myself"

I'm getting bored
Being part of mankind
There's not a lot to do no more
This race is a waste of time

People rushing everywhere
Swarming around like flies
Think I'll buy a forty four
Give them all a surprise

Think I'm gonna kill myself
Cause a little suicide
Stick around for a couple of days
What a scandal if I died

Yeah I'm gonna kill myself
Get a little headline news
I'd like to see what the papers say
On the state of teenage blues

A rift in my family
I can't use the car
I gotta be in by ten o'clock
Who do they think they are

I'd make an exception
If you want to save my life
Brigitte Bardot gotta come
And see me every night

It's not how I really feel, but I get tired of people who I have to explain every little thing to.

It may not be their fault, but I get bored with it, nonetheless.

LOL

Facts are facts, wonderful to look back nostalgically at anything, but if you are going to raise what you see to a higher level, you have to go beyond reminiscence

Jesus wept.

When you read a book, listen to music, watch a film, or look at a painting or sculpture, do you always try to politicize it?

I almost feel sorry for you.

Poor Anchovies.

Back