My Nephew, Jay

that's great!

I wonder why they couldn't get the mother cell in the first surgery.

that's great!

I wonder why they couldn't get the mother cell in the first surgery.

The cyst was so large at that time, that when they removed part of the skull, it bulged out. There was almost no room in the cavity for the cyst and the brain. This time, due to bi-monthly MRI's, they knew it was growing and planned how they would approach it, much different than when the thing was ready to blow.

He was released today. Hard to believe. The docs expect he'll be back to work in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the good wishes.

I am thrilled to hear such good news! I can't imagine what he is now going through. I keep thinking of how I'd live my life after such an amazing and transforming event.

I am thrilled to hear such good news! I can't imagine what he is now going through. I keep thinking of how I'd live my life after such an amazing and transforming event.

I just got off the phone with him. Yesterday his wife and mom were there visiting, when the docs came in. After the exam it was, "Would you like to go home, now?" With that, a half hour later he was on his way to my SIL, his wife had to go to work. LOL! She fits right into our family, we're all sort of work orientated. Jay postponed the operation, to make sure he hit a year so he would be able to take a leave.

Anyways, when my brother got off work he and Jay went for a walk in the park behind their house, over a mile. Amazing, his skull was opened last Friday, he walks a mile the next Monday. I stand in awe of this kid and the medical profession.

Again, thanks everyone for their good wishes and prayers.

Kathi,

Ever hear the song, "Live Like You Were Dying" by Tim McGraw?

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=7mHaFMqde6A"]YouTube - Tim McGraw - Live Like You Were Dying[/ame]

I've already done all the things he listed. Sky diving, Rocky Mountain climbing, and I actually have ridden a bull named "Fu Manchu".... among others.

I'll be this experience gives your nephew a powerful new outlook on life. I still can't imagine.

I've already done all the things he listed. Sky diving, Rocky Mountain climbing, and I actually have ridden a bull named "Fu Manchu".... among others.

I'll be this experience gives your nephew a powerful new outlook on life. I still can't imagine.

I'm loading up that youtube you posted. I just got off the phone with my brother. Jay and Angie, his wife just returned from the neurologist, who said he is doing phenomenally well. He'll see him in 6 months, though Jay will be going for bi-monthly MRI's. Unless warranted, 6 months it will be.

He has 3 weeks off work, my guess is he will be walking over 5 miles per day by then, bicycling over 20. I don't think he'll ever be able to mountain climb or sky dive, but the fact that he can love and be loved, work and be productive, well that's a hell of a lot. In some ways it makes me sad, this is a kid that graduated at the top of his class at the university level. He overcame some serious learning disabilities in grammar school, which we and the neurologists now put caused by a tumor, likely there since birth.

At the same time, his experience reflects all of ours, doing the best we can with our gifts and limitations.

Damo, thank you for that video. It was everything I'm feeling. I've sent it to Jay and my brother. They will appreciate, in a not macabre way. He's there, and facing and daring. Excellent, again, thanks.

Damo, thank you for that video. It was everything I'm feeling. I've sent it to Jay and my brother. They will appreciate, in a not macabre way. He's there, and facing and daring. Excellent, again, thanks.
I hoped it would be that way. It is how I suspect I would react. But I don't know what I'd do that I haven't already. I try to teach the girls that you seize life with both hands. Impermanence is part of the Buddhism thing as it is....

I hoped it would be that way. It is how I suspect I would react. But I don't know what I'd do that I haven't already. I try to teach the girls that you seize life with both hands. Impermanence is part of the Buddhism thing as it is....

Well I'm not Buddhist and my tendency is 'to be careful'. In Jay's case, well grabbing and experiencing all life has, seems to be the right note. He was always into breaking barriers, way before this happened. As I said, as a kid, the school wanted to put him into special ed. He didn't want to, though my brother and SIL, thought it might be warranted, they followed his lead. They asked me what they could do to try and help him with reading. I told them about phonics, sending them to "Why Johnny Can't Read." They took it from there.

He graduated college at the top of his class, 5 years ago.

This video you sent me, says it all. Though from a 40 something perspective, for a mid 20 year old, it's only that more poignant.

Back