Name something good religion has caused

Dixie's Pinhead Quote of the Moment:
"Your brain is too small to distinguish between Israelis and Jews."
Gonzojornals explains how to conceal your anti-Semitic views.

I digress here, but what is anti semetic or incorrect about a distinction between Israelis as countrymen and Jews as religious people?

I think Dixie feels guilt about the Holocaust.....if only that made any sense.

I think Dixie feels guilt about the Holocaust.....if only that made any sense.

Indeed it makes no sense. But his insinuation is clear, that if you are not some sort of staunch supporter of Israel, the you must not like Jewish people and are thus a bigot. I resent such an insinuation.

Indeed it makes no sense. But his insinuation is clear, that if you are not some sort of staunch supporter of Israel, the you must not like Jewish people and are thus a bigot. I resent such an insinuation.

As do I....unfortunately the two parties of this country seem to relish dealing in absolutes.

I digress here, but what is anti semetic or incorrect about a distinction between Israelis as countrymen and Jews as religious people?
Let's expound on this. Most Arabs are semitic, one cannot be pro-Arab and anti-semitic at the same time.

Let's expound on this. Most Arabs are semitic, one cannot be pro-Arab and anti-semitic at the same time.

The connotations have changed though. You are correct in your assertion, but the connotation has trumped the denotation.

Because there is no distinction unless you are anti-Semitic. Israel was established as a Jewish state in 1948, they even have the Star of David on their flag. To deny that Israel is a Jewish state, is nothing more than anti-Semitism hiding behind intellectualism. Indeed, bigots, racists, and anti-Semites have often used such philosophical tactics to continue supporting their bigotry and hate.

Because there is no distinction unless you are anti-Semitic. Israel was established as a Jewish state in 1948, they even have the Star of David on their flag. To deny that Israel is a Jewish state, is nothing more than anti-Semitism hiding behind intellectualism. Indeed, bigots, racists, and anti-Semites have often used such philosophical tactics to continue supporting their bigotry and hate.
You dodged my concern. Based on what you say above, any Jewish person, anywhere on Earth, is an Israeli, and vice versa.

If Iran is an Islamic State, then not every Muslim is an Iranian, and not every Iranian is a Muslim. It would be bigoted to believe so, and the analogy is exact. One does not have to hate Muslims people if they do not support Iran.

Based on what you say above, any Jewish person, anywhere on Earth, is an Israeli, and vice versa.

I didn't say anything about people anywhere on Earth. Israel is a Jewish state, that is why they are so hated. To pretend there is no elephant in the room, and say that Israel doesn't mean Jewish, is indicative of anti-Semitic bigotry. Now you can get all technical and say that the Jewish religion doesn't actually run the government of Israel, but everyone in the world knows that Israel is a Jewish state, in fact, the only Jewish state.

Based on what you say above, any Jewish person, anywhere on Earth, is an Israeli, and vice versa.

I didn't say anything about people anywhere on Earth. Israel is a Jewish state, that is why they are so hated. To pretend there is no elephant in the room, and say that Israel doesn't mean Jewish, is indicative of anti-Semitic bigotry. Now you can get all technical and say that the Jewish religion doesn't actually run the government of Israel, but everyone in the world knows that Israel is a Jewish state, in fact, the only Jewish state.

What about the rest of my post Dix?

I look at coutries and governments as exactly that. You can call that bigotry if you wish, but I don't call every Israeli a Jew, or every Jew an Israeli. The fact that they are a theocratic state merely says that their government is one based on a religion. It does not mean that the government and the religion are one in the same.

Yes or no Dix, if someone is not pro Israel, does that make them anti-Jew? Address the whole post if you will.

What about the rest of my post Dix?

I look at coutries and governments as exactly that. You can call that bigotry if you wish, but I don't call every Israeli a Jew, or every Jew an Israeli. The fact that they are a theocratic state merely says that their government is one based on a religion. It does not mean that the government and the religion are one in the same.

Yes or no Dix, if someone is not pro Israel, does that make them anti-Jew? Address the whole post if you will.

You don't make any sense, you keep insisting I am saying things I haven't said. I never stated that every Jew was Israeli or every Israeli was Jewish. I never said the government and the religion were one in the same. These are your words, not mine. Try making some sense, and maybe I'll respond.

No, if someone is not pro-Israel, it doesn't mean they are anti-Jew. If I don't want to do business with black people, it doesn't mean I am a racist. You can choose to hide behind your semantics and intellectualism, and continue your bigotry toward the Jewish state of Israel, you've got it all figured out.

No, if someone is not pro-Israel, it doesn't mean they are anti-Jew. If I don't want to do business with black people, it doesn't mean I am a racist.

How is this even remotely relevent? You keep putting up this ridiculous straw man, and I will continue to call you out on it.

You don't make any sense, you keep insisting I am saying things I haven't said. I never stated that every Jew was Israeli or every Israeli was Jewish. I never said the government and the religion were one in the same. These are your words, not mine. Try making some sense, and maybe I'll respond.

Your sig suggests otherwise. Your sig suggests that any lack of support for Israel is somehoe antisemetic.

You can choose to hide behind your semantics and intellectualism, and continue your bigotry toward the Jewish state of Israel, you've got it all figured out.

Nice wording. Marrying the religion and the government. Did you think I wouldn't notice that? "Bigotry toward the Jewish state of Israel". That's rich, and you're telling me you can see the difference between Israel and Jews? LOL Come on man.

Here you have just shown what yo believe. You can't distinguish between the Israeli Government and the Jew.

Be honest now why did you phrase it as "bigotry toward the Jewish state of Israel"?

I've said time and again that the state and the religion are not one and the same. Why do you insist on making it so? Your implication is that anything but support for Israel, the country is anti Jew. You just proved my point.

What is your point anyway?

Well.. as a Born and raised Catholic.. I have always felt real good about Catholic Charities ....
And I have always felt real good that..not including their tithngs .. people of faith are likely to give more to Charity ....
So .. Charity is the answer ... as Christ so often preached ...

No, if someone is not pro-Israel, it doesn't mean they are anti-Jew. If I don't want to do business with black people, it doesn't mean I am a racist.

If the sole reason that you don't do business is because of race, then you are racist.

Israel, on the other hand is neither religion nor race, it is a political entity. Criticising criticism of Israeli actions as anti-Jewish is as ridiculous as stating that criticising the actions of the Syrian government is anti-Muslim.

The notion that religion creates such virtues as charity, forgiveness and empathy is a misnomer. These virtues exist outside the religious sphere, thus negating causation.

In fact the motivation to act in such a way within religions derives more from selfishness, the notion that acting in such a way refutes the anger / pleases whichever fictional anthropomorphic dictator-god is involved.

Does religion do good? That is a philosophical minefield. What is deemed 'good' is subjective.

Do religion's induce an atmosphere of peace, understanding and mutual respect? No. Religion only perpetuates itself.

The notion that religion creates such virtues as charity, forgiveness and empathy is a misnomer. These virtues exist outside the religious sphere, thus negating causation.

In fact the motivation to act in such a way within religions derives more from selfishness, the notion that acting in such a way refutes the anger / pleases whichever fictional anthropomorphic dictator-god is involved.

Does religion do good? That is a philosophical minefield. What is deemed 'good' is subjective.

Do religion's induce an atmosphere of peace, understanding and mutual respect? No. Religion only perpetuates itself.

Having a field day are you Anyold? lol

He asked a question and I answered with what I thought was a good ...deed ...

I repeat ... Catholic Charities is a very good orginization that does much good around the world ...

religion doesnt cause strife .. people do ....

If people were to walk the path Jesus Christ taught ... it would be a path of peace, understanding and mutual respect ...
Its people that invented the path of destruction .. its called greed ....

name something good that homosexuality has done for the world...

Name something good that Atheism has done for the world....

blah, blah, blah.....

Religion is part of the civilized and uncivilized world, whether you like it or not, the world today has been shaped by all of it....so, if you hate your life and you hate your country then blame religion, cuz it definately has been and was a part of where you are today....

He asked a question and I answered with what I thought was a good ...deed ...

I repeat ... Catholic Charities is a very good orginization that does much good around the world ...

religion doesnt cause strife .. people do ....

If people were to walk the path Jesus Christ taught ... it would be a path of peace, understanding and mutual respect ...
Its people that invented the path of destruction .. its called greed ....

its like your saying that w/out religion there would be no charity... keep fishin klaatu.

anyold how was the bank holiday?? LOL

Quiet day at work so I thought I'd say hello.. Bloody home line is still down and I have now had a deep excavation at the end of my street for over a week.... That's what you get with privatised industry! lol

To state that it is religion that 'makes' people act in a charitable manner is the misnomer. I am obviously not claiming that there aren't good religious people, just that religion has nothing to do with them being good.

As for JC, I agree that he was a wise philosopher and the truisms that shine through his butchered teachings are worthwhile; however, JC himself stated that it isn't religion, or fear of repercussions from a mythical deity, that should guide a persons deeds, but empathy. As he said 'do unto others'.

Religion does cause strife, primarily through its absolutism, however it isn't charity etc through fear of god / pleasing god that is good, but empathy itself.

Back