Name something good religion has caused

I've said time and again that the state and the religion are not one and the same. Why do you insist on making it so? Your implication is that anything but support for Israel, the country is anti Jew. You just proved my point.

Actually, you just proved MY point. Pinheads such as yourself, will intentionally separate the Jewish aspect of Israel, and consider your anti-Israeli views acceptable. It's much like segregationists validated their views as "non-racist" to the public. Everyone knows Israel is a Jewish state, the only one on the planet, and it's the number one, primary, main reason, for all the animosity toward Israel. If they were Muslims, they wouldn't be the constant targets of terrorism and criticism from anti-Semites.

See, I get it... I understand, not many anti-Semites will come right out and say... I HATE JEWS! They will find clever ways to hide those sentiments, like trying to argue that Israel is not a Jewish state, and that hating Israel is not anti-Semitic. Your prejudice blinds you to a point, which apparently you don't think people realize Israel represents the Jewish people, and you think you can sell your foolish and hateful viewpoint.

Actually, you just proved MY point. Pinheads such as yourself, will intentionally separate the Jewish aspect of Israel, and consider your anti-Israeli views acceptable.

You talk so much tripe Dixie.

Israel is a political entity, it is not a religion any more than Syria is a religion.

Hiding criticism of the actions of the Israeli government behind accusations of anti-semitism is exactly the same as hiding criticism of the actions of the Syrian government behind accusations of anti-semitism.

Last edited:
Israel is a Jewish state...but to Israelis, being a Jew is much like being a caucasian. Being a Jew in Israel has very little to do with religion. I would venture to say that the vast vast majority of Israelis have not seen the inside of a synagogue in decades. Hardly ANYONE "keeps kosher"... it is purely a matter or ethnicity, not spirituality or faith. So... Israel is not a "religious" state, just a jewish state. I know that is tough for simple minded neocons to understand.

Israel is a political entity, it is not a religion any more than Syria is a religion.

No, Israel is a state. A Jewish state, established for the Jewish people, in the Jewish homeland. I've never stated that Israel is a religion, that is stupid.

its like your saying that w/out religion there would be no charity... keep fishin klaatu.

anyold how was the bank holiday?? LOL

Im not fisdhing for nothing .. you asked a question .... I answered ..

You dont like my answer ....

My question.. why did you ask the question ?

For someone who is working on a Masters .. you are one shallow person if you have to aske a question like this .. it simply proves how fucking dimi witted you really are ...

Try opening up a History book young one .. and learn something about the great cultures throughout history ...

Egyption, Roman , Italian Renaissance , Greek ... all were driven by their faith ...

like trying to argue that Israel is not a Jewish state,

Syria is a Muslim state. Islam is a semitic religion. Your criticism of Syria makes you anti-semitic....

And of course lets not forget the great contributions of the Buddhists and the phenominal Cathedrals of Eastern Europe and Russia ....

A Jewish state,

Actually Israel is nominally a secular state, not Jewish...

It is entirely a political entity.

In 1901, the first Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Jean-Henry Dunant, founder of the Red Cross, whose whole life was guided by a passionate devotion to the humanitarian cause; he took initiatives and carried out activities of the utmost generosity. Living in poverty in a poorhouse at Heiden (Canton of Appenzell, Switzerland), and too ill to travel to Sweden to accept the award, Henry Dunant chose to bequeath the prize money to charitable causes rather than to keep it for himself.

The International Committee of the Red Cross was subsequently awarded the Nobel Prize on three other occasions: in 1917 and 1944, as a tribute to its humanitarian activities during the two World Wars, and again in 1963, together with the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, on the occasion of the Movement's 100th anniversary.

Few people realize that Jean Henri Dunant was also one of the founders of the World Alliance of YMCAs in Paris in 1855. Dunant started very humbly by inviting a few friends to meet regularly at his house to study the Bible, to encourage each other in good works, and to bring about a spiritual awakening among young people.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

William Booth embarked upon his ministerial career in 1852. His crusade was to win the lost multitudes of London to Christ. He went into the streets of London to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ to the poor, the homeless, the hungry and the destitute.

Booth abandoned the conventional concept of a church and a pulpit and took his message to the people. His fervor led to disagreement with the leaders of the church in London. They preferred traditional measures. As a result, he withdrew from the church and traveled throughout England conducting evangelistic meetings. His wife, Catherine, was a major force in The Salvation Army movement.

In 1865, William Booth was invited to hold a series of evangelistic meetings in the east end of London. He set up a tent in a Quaker graveyard and his services became an instant success. This proved to be the end of his wanderings as an independent traveling evangelist. His renown as a religious leader spread throughout London. His followers were a vigorous group dedicated to fight for the souls of men and women.

Thieves, prostitutes, gamblers and drunkards were among Booth’s first converts to Christianity. His congregations were desperately poor. He preached hope and salvation. His aim was to lead them to Christ and to link them to a church for further spiritual guidance. Even though they were converted, churches did not accept Booth’s followers because of what they had been. Booth gave their lives direction in a spiritual manner and put them to work to save others who were like themselves. They too preached and sang in the streets as a living testimony to the power of God.

In 1867, Booth had only 10 full-time workers. By 1874, the numbers had grown to 1,000 volunteers and 42 evangelists. They served under the name "The Christian Mission." Booth assumed the title of a General Superintendent. His followers called him "General." Known as the "Hallelujah Army,'" the converts spread out of the east end of London into neighboring areas and then to other cities.

Booth was reading a printer’s proof of the 1878 Annual Report when the noticed the statement, '"The Christian Mission under the Superintendent’s of the Rev. William Booth is a volunteer army. He crossed out the words "Volunteer Army'" and penned in "Salvation Army'" From those words came the basis of the foundation deed of The Salvation Army which was adopted in August of that same year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many Oregonians have journeyed through life in service to others. In 1838, Father Francis Blanchet traveled for six months overland from Montreal, Canada, to French Prairie, where St. Paul, Oregon, is now located. At that time, there were only 26 Catholic families in the Willamette Valley. Shortly after he arrived, the Sisters of Notre Dame du Namours joined him and founded an orphanage. Together, they began a legacy of Catholic charity, serving Oregon's poor and vulnerable.

For the Sake of the Children

From the earliest years, the history of Catholic Charities has been one of concern and advocacy for children. Father Edwin O'Hara, a priest at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, teamed with other community leaders to investigate abuses of child labor. They researched these conditions and presented their findings to the State Legislature. The result was the enactment of Oregon child labor laws in 1913. This first legislation became a model for child welfare and labor laws throughout the United States.

Through the efforts of Father O'Hara, Archbishop Alexander Christie founded the Catholic Children's Bureau in 1917, which coordinated all Catholic children's cases and represented families and children in the Portland courts.

In 1932, Father Lucien Lauerman evaluated Catholic social welfare work in the Archdiocese of Portland and presented his report to a group assembled by Archbishop Edward Howard on September 12, 1933. The result was the establishment of the first Catholic Charities office, where Father Lauerman employed four staff members who represented Catholic social service institutions in all court cases and acted as case managers for children.

Im not fisdhing for nothing .. you asked a question .... I answered ..

You dont like my answer ....

My question.. why did you ask the question ?

For someone who is working on a Masters .. you are one shallow person if you have to aske a question like this .. it simply proves how fucking dimi witted you really are ...

Try opening up a History book young one .. and learn something about the great cultures throughout history ...

Egyption, Roman , Italian Renaissance , Greek ... all were driven by their faith ...

history degrees don't really pay anything.

And of course lets not forget the great contributions of the Buddhists and the phenominal Cathedrals of Eastern Europe and Russia ....

what were their great contributions??

can you site an example if there are so many?? LOL.

See, I get it... I understand, not many anti-Semites will come right out and say... I HATE JEWS! They will find clever ways to hide those sentiments, like trying to argue that Israel is not a Jewish state, and that hating Israel is not anti-Semitic. Your prejudice blinds you to a point, which apparently you don't think people realize Israel represents the Jewish people, and you think you can sell your foolish and hateful viewpoint.

Nice. Again with a ridiculous parallel that a 3rd grader could see through. Stop basing your political beliefs on the Bible Dix. It's painfully obvious that the "promised land" and "chosen people" aspects of the Bible are clouding any rational judgement on the political issues in the middle East. I am no more an anti-jew than you are. You just can't distinguish between a political entity and a religious one, and that's embarrassing.

I just noticed this from earlier in thsi thread.... does this smell funny to anyone else, or is it just me?

Dixie said, "If I don't want to do business with black people, it doesn't mean I am a racist.'

I would say that that sentence is a prima facie example of racism.

What if Dixie were to say that he didn't want his children dating black people...isn't that the same thing?

I just noticed this from earlier in thsi thread.... does this smell funny to anyone else, or is it just me?

Dixie said, "If I don't want to do business with black people, it doesn't mean I am a racist.'

I would say that that sentence is a prima facie example of racism.

What if Dixie were to say that he didn't want his children dating black people...isn't that the same thing?

Here's what Dixie said:

No, if someone is not pro-Israel, it doesn't mean they are anti-Jew. If I don't want to do business with black people, it doesn't mean I am a racist. You can choose to hide behind your semantics and intellectualism, and continue your bigotry toward the Jewish state of Israel, you've got it all figured out.

Perhaps you have a problem with examples, because I did not state that I don't do business with black people, I made an absurd and sarcastic example to counter Beefy's point, that not being pro-Israel doesn't mean anti-Jew. Sure, you can make that claim, just like segregationists claimed they weren't racist, in fact, I don't know of a single segregationist who ever said he hated black people, just like anti-Semites don't say they hate Jews. When you allow your 'intellectualism' to excuse your bigotry, it enables you to hold onto a seemingly legitimate viewpoint, and some people will even agree with you. It doesn't change what is in your heart, it doesn't change what you really are.

I understand that not being Pro-Israel does not make someone an anti-semitic. If someone does not want to do business with people because of the color of their skin, that DOES make them a racist....I do not see any sarcasm in your sentence.

Last edited:
Back