neighborhood douchebags

I never said you did live IN an HOA...in fact:

No one LIVES IN an HOA dumbass...certain neighborhoods are GOVERNED BY an HOA.

Nothing like playing word parsing games while ignoring facts.

Who is playing word parsing games? I mean, duuude. You're not even doing it well.

Actually, we don't know if STY's branches (and the neighbor's branches) really are too low. I doubt the city went out to look before mailing the violations. I doubt every person on the street is in violation.

Do cities actually have ordinances re tree branches?

We have a sign ordinance in town... but it's only enforced when someone complains. Which means if someone doesn't like the owner/proprietor of a business, they will report them for a sign violation, when right next door is a worse violation and that doesn't get reported.

Guess that wasn't massively relevant, except - people are strange and vindictive.

And turning people in just to drum up business for yourself is assholish. It's not a bad strategy if they don't know it's you - but it's still assholish.

Oh and firetrucks? I doubt any branch can stop a fire truck... truck will barrel right through them.

Now a steep hill... sigh. We had a fire once in our county that a couple of our water trucks couldn't get to because the road was too steep. Luckily we're getting some new equipment..

Limbs stop our trucks? ... Nope. Not even locked iron gates. Chainsaws and bolt cutters ... And one particular truck with a military front bumper ...

I should point out that the guy mentioned in the OP is a clear $&@#%€. As such, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the thread title.

Ok, as I read through all of these posts I felt that the point of the topic was definitely lost. The guy in the OP is definitely someone I would NOT want for a neighbor. End of story. Glad you guys cut the limbs STY.

historic oaks on the cup de sac. Absolutely.

Historic?? I have three oaks on my property all of which must be over 100 years old. If their limbs are in the way they get trimmed.If I want to build something and if the trees are in the way they're coming down. The only permission I need is my own. My property. Just another reason I'm so glad not to have to live in a city.

As a disclaimer, I would do/have done everything in my power not to have to cut these trees down...but, bottom line, it is my property, my decision.

Historic?? I have three oaks on my property all of which must be over 100 years old. If their limbs are in the way they get trimmed.If I want to build something and if the trees are in the way they're coming down. The only permission I need is my own. My property. Just another reason I'm so glad not to have to live in a city.

As a disclaimer, I would do/have done everything in my power not to have to cut these trees down...but, bottom line, it is my property, my decision.

We don't have any stupid ordinance like that here either, unless the tree branches hang over a transformer.

There was a tree on our road that had a large branch extending over the road- at a low enough height that a neighbor's RV was going to hit it when he brought it up the road. (It's probably also the branch that did in a skylight on a shed we had brought up to our place.) So our neighbor cut it - just the part over the road. (In general, road easement is 20 feet to either side of the middle of the road here.)

We had another neighbor who came up the road, noticed the branch was gone, and started raising holy hell. He swore up and down the tree was on his property and how could someone just chop a branch and on and on.

The rest of us were "seriously? does he have every branch on every tree marked in his database so he can tell if one got cut?" Would he rather have the neighbor sue him when the RV got damaged by it? And with the number of trees out here, one branch - really, not noticeable...to anyone but this guy. Well, turned out the tree wasn't on his property anyway.

Weird.

I do avoid cutting trees down unless there's a safety issue. But I have a neighbor who has a theory about number of trees that can be supported per acre, so he's cut back any above that number (to be fair, his wife is a master gardener so he could be right in his theory).

But re 200 year old oaks - I would have a VERY hard time cutting down an older tree. I have some trees right now that, if I took them down, would mean sun on my solar panels probably 60 minutes earlier in the morning during the summer months... but they are mature trees, and I don't want to cut them down. So I won't.

Oh - and I can see why in a city they might need permits for limb cutting; some people aren't good at it and can damage the tree when they do it; and there is the risk of the limbs hitting power lines or causing other damage. A little different where I am.

I have a neighbor who hates trees.....he's always after me to cut mine down because they drop dead branches in wind storms......seriously, I woke up early one morning after a storm and I saw him drag a branch all the way across his yard to set it under my tree that borders his property.....I waved at him from the window and he went inside.....

Down here a Live Oak tree is protected. You can trim dead branches with a permit but to cut one down requires an act of God. Trust me...there's one in my front yard I pray to get struck down by lightening every time there's a storm.

Down here a Live Oak tree is protected. You can trim dead branches with a permit but to cut one down requires an act of God. Trust me...there's one in my front yard I pray to get struck down by lightening every time there's a storm.

yep. and in cities, probably good to have some regulations since there are so many fewer trees and so many people who don't have a clue how to trim them properly.

Funny story... we took my stepkids on a camping trip to our place (before we moved here); we were going to roast marshmallows. Younger one finds a stick from the ground; older one cuts a stick off a tree. Younger one is HORRIBLY upset - because her sister cut a stick off a live tree. It was a tough moment! Normally, she would have been absolutely right - in the national forest, in a national park, even a county park, we wouldn't cut anything from a live tree. But ... we were on our land; it's ok to cut a stick from a tree here...

Pretty complicated for a kid to understand, but I think we were able to get the younger one to see that while normally she would have been absolutely correct to be upset, in this case what her sister did was ok...

We don't have any stupid ordinance like that here either, unless the tree branches hang over a transformer.

We don't have any stupid ordinances like that here either. If they hang over a transformer, ComEd sends Asphlundi to trim them, massively. Historic or not, they do not come close to any lines, (my area has buried, but there's older parts of city with poles), or transformers. Seriously in older parts of town, there are 'cathedral tree lined streets', that have huge holes in them for blocks. The trees are pruned to make clear the lines with about a 3' circle around wires.

Sherwood Forest is quite close to me and it has some real historic oaks such as the Major Oak. It is reputed to be over 800 years old maybe even a thousand.

800px-Major_Oak.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_Oak

Back