NJ State Worker Unions Up in Arms

Most companies are moving away from that. I know Lockheed used to be that way, they've recently upped the retirement age. I'd be surprised if they could still do that to be honest. How long ago was this?

I also think the heath care costs are killing companies. Which is probably why we will ultimately go to an expanded Medicare universal system - taking some of the burden off companies.

I notice congressmen who complain most loudly about unions and pensions (motly conservative republicans), won't give up their congressional pensions for a cash-balance plan.

Bernie sanders introduced a resolution a few years back, to eliminate congressional pensions and convert them to cash balance plans - and it went down in flames.

But they want us to scrap SS ?

I notice congressmen who complain most loudly about unions and pensions (motly conservative republicans), won't give up their congressional pensions for a cash-balance plan.

Bernie sanders introduced a resolution a few years back, to eliminate congressional pensions and convert them to cash balance plans - and it went down in flames.

I'm no congressman, but I am a heavily taxed New Jerseyan who is going to have to work longer, pay higher taxes and have less health benefits while state workers can get the fruits of my labor. Something has to give.

Again, lately i've noticed a lot of fundamental union abuses.

I'm no congressman, but I am a heavily taxed New Jerseyan who is going to have to work longer, pay higher taxes and have less health benefits while state workers can get the fruits of my labor. Something has to give.

Again, lately i've noticed a lot of fundamental union abuses.

You could always cut the salaries and benefits of New Jersey cops, firefighters, teachers and see how that works out.

Honestly, I don't think States and Counties pay their employees what they could make in the private sector. Not the skilled and educated employees anyway. I suspect even though, theorectically, the "could" retire at 55, most probably don't because it doesn't make financial sense.

You could always cut the salaries and benefits of New Jersey cops, firefighters, teachers and see how that works out.

Honestly, I don't think States and Counties pay their employees what they could make in the private sector. Not the skilled and educated employees anyway. I suspect even though, theorectically, the "could" retire at 55, most probably don't because it doesn't make financial sense.
However they trade that for better retirement benefits and more security in their job. The unions negotiate a superior back-end rather than a front-end result. This gives incentive for people to stay in those jobs, when taken, rather than quit before the benefits begin to pile up. Beginning teachers make alot less than teachers who have taught for some time, and their retirement benefits are far better when compared to those in the private sector.

And don't get me wrong, teachers have a hard job, but they get paid pretty well for it considering they have ENTIRE summers off and just about every holiday off during the remainder of the year. Teachers around here get close to 60K from what I hear, plus they get a fat pension and great benefits.

Teacher's around here don't make that much. But you are right in the "perks" of the job. I chose to be a teacher 1st because I liked kids (still do mostly ;)). I remain a teacher because of the perks. I have the same time off that my kid has so when he's home, so am I. But you are right in that I "choose" this situation for me and my family over the higher paying jobs in the private sector that I have been offered over the years.....and there have been some. Most required travel...........nope, not me. All required more time away from home............again, nope.

I like you think that people that "choose" this profession need to learn to deal with it..........whatever it is. I know a lot of teachers who could never make it in the world of private jobs because they gripe way too much.

Oh, and let me add that I plan to retire at 50....that's right, 50.........and open a small business.

They are going after teachers benefits. And the teachers are protesting sometime this week in Trenton I believe. :gives:

They have to cut the budget, I think people are at their tipping points here, particularly with the sharp rise in realesate prices lately. Like I said, something has to give and its only fair that state employees follow suit with the private sector in order to cut back on some of the costs.

and further more, unions are rarely satisfied:

More from the article...

"State officials said costs for public worker benefits have increased 150 percent over five years and are expected to double by 2010 from $3.6 billion this year, but union officials claim New Jersey workers receive substandard benefits. "

despite the fact that:

"$1 of every $5 New Jersey spends four years from now will pay for overall health and pension benefits. The panel predicted that by fiscal 2007, health plan costs for retirees will exceed costs for active government workers"

http://pressofatlanticcity-proxy.nandomedia.com/special_reports/2006/story/6110054p-6109020c.html?current_report=retiree_costs

Enough is enough.

More from the article...

"State officials said costs for public worker benefits have increased 150 percent over five years and are expected to double by 2010 from $3.6 billion this year, but union officials claim New Jersey workers receive substandard benefits. "

Precisely why I rarely vote for a Teamster (or other union org.) supported candidate. They always want more.

They are going after teachers benefits. And the teachers are protesting sometime this week in Trenton I believe. :gives:

They have to cut the budget, I think people are at their tipping points here, particularly with the sharp rise in realesate prices lately. Like I said, something has to give and its only fair that state employees follow suit with the private sector in order to cut back on some of the costs.

More from the article...

despite the fact that:

"$1 of every $5 New Jersey spends four years from now will pay for overall health and pension benefits. The panel predicted that by fiscal 2007, health plan costs for retirees will exceed costs for active government workers"

http://pressofatlanticcity-proxy.na...4p-6109020c.html?current_report=retiree_costs

Enough is enough.

Like I said, something has to give and its only fair that state employees follow suit with the private sector in order to cut back on some of the costs..... Enough is enough

Your state - compared to your neighbors - is actually EXTREMELY frugal at funding State employee benefits:

Total Benefit dollars per State employee:

New Jersey: $7,839
New York: $16,975
Conn.: $20,509
Delaware: $14,996
Penn.: $13,328

Government Performance Project Website

http://results.gpponline.org/

Last edited:

That site says benefits for State and County pensions

I thought we were talking about States? (Not counties). And I thought we were talking about benefits in total. Not just pension.

this site cherry-picks only pensions, and lumps state in with county.

My site, says that Total benefits paid for by taxpayers in New Jersey are astonishingly low, compared to neighboring states.

Lady T,

three minutes on google, showed by that the average teacher salary in NJ is like 55K, and the beginning salary for a teacher there in about 35K.

I know quite a few teachers, and most of them have started off in the high $40s. I didn't mean to imply that the average was close to $60, just that after a few years, some of them are making close to $60K (for working 9 months).

High 40's in NJ is like working at Wally World here, not a lot.

If those figures that Cypress showed are right then those state employees have a legitimate bitch in my point of view.

Back