no human has ever beaten death

OK. Actually I had a gun pointed at my head three times that night.

I was living in the Cincinnati suburbs at the time and I was driving home from visiting family on a summer Sunday evening through Dayton when I decided to drop by a local BBQ Joint that's pretty popular in the area called "Old Hickory". It's located in a strip mall off of west Third street. Probably not the best part of town but not exactly East St. Louis either but pretty much the hillbilly part of town. So I ate my dinner and paid the bill/tip with the last of the cash I had on me and left. My car was parked in the lot behind the strip mall. I was pulling out of the parking lot when I saw a young man in his mid twenties leaning on the fender well of his car with a frustrated look on his face like he was having car troubles. He was kinda skinny and didn't exactly look like a thug or a gang banger so I fucked up, pulled up to him, rolled the passenger window down and asked "You all right, need help?". He smiled, walked up to my car, reached around to his back pocket, pulled out a revolver, stuck it through the passenger window I had just rolled down and said "Give me your money or I'll blow your brains out."

He then reached in, unlocked the door while still pointing the gun at me and jumped into the passenger seat. He told me to give him my wallet. So I put my hands up and said. "Dude, real slow like I'm reaching my right hand into my back pocket to get my wallet but there's no money in it. Take my debit and credit card.". I then handed him my wallet which did not have any money in it. When he saw that the wallet had no money he smacked me three times in a rown, "whack, whack, whack" with the side of the revolver. That split the skin at my hair line and I started bleeding profusely. He pointed the gun back at my head and said "I aint kidding, give me your money mother fucker or I'll blow your brains out." To which I calmly said "I don't have any cash. Take my debit card. The PIN is blah blah blah." He rummaged through my glove box, found no money, went "whack, whack, whack" on my face again, cuting me above my left eye and threatened to blow my brains out if I didn't give him some money. Again I calmly said "I don't have any cash. Take the plastic my PIN is blah blah blah." He the rummaged through my counsel by the drivers seat and didn't find any money. Again he went "whack, whack, whack" on my face with the side of the revolver cutting my forehead. This time I looked him straight in the eye (not exagerating or bragging, I actually said this), "dude, you hit me one more time with that gun you'd better shoot me." The asshole called my bluff. He pointed the barrel of the gun a ffew inches from the center of my eyes and pulled the hammer back on the revolver. To which I said "I have no cash, take the plastic. My PIN is blah, blah, blah."

He then told me to get out of the car and that he was going to take me to an ATM to get money with my card and if I tried anything funny he'd shoot me. Keeping the gun pointed at my head I started to get out of the car. I tried taking my keys out of the ignition but he told me to leave them there. I didn't argue. He came around the car, keeping the gun pointed at my head until he stood beside me and ordered me to start walking over to his car. So I did. My mind was racing about a million miles an hour about what to do but I wasn't going to get into that car. I figured I was dead if I did. Fortunately for me just as we neared his car some guy came walking around the corner and into the driveway of the parking lot where he could see us. Stupid Robin Hood dropped the gun down by his side to hide it and when he did I let him have it with perfeclty executed shoulder block with everything I had. I literally lifted him of the ground and sent him sliding on the asphalt. I was hoping he'd drop the revolver cause I was going to pick it up and shoot his ass but the little punk held onto it so I turned and hauled ass. He got up and fired at me but I was 50 yards or more down the road by the time he got up and started shooting.

So I ran about 3 or 4 blocks to a BP where I shouted at the clerk to call the police. Considering my face was cut up and my shirt soaked in blood he didn't wast any time and to their credit the Cops where there in like a minute.

No this is where the story gets weird. I quickly told the cops what happened, where my car was, that the keys were still in the ignition and that the punk might steal my car. They took me straight to my car and miraculously it was still there....but the little ass hole stole my keys and my spare set was back home. The police secured the situation and offered to call an ambulance which I declined, then then asked what I wanted to do with the car and I asked them to call a wrecker and tow it to an impound lot where it will be relatively safe until I could get home and get my keys. They did that and then took me back to the BP so they could take a report from me and the BP clerk. They then asked me if I had anyone who could come pick me up. I said "No" I'm new to the area and all my family lives elsewhere. The assholes then told me that they couldn't give me a ride and fucking left me there at the BP with my face all cut up and covered in blood. I was really pissed about that but I didn't know what the fuck to do.

So a few minutes go buy and a couple of hillbillys pull into the BP in a pick up truck. One of them looks at me and says "Holly shit what happened to you". I said "I just got mugged and the god damned cops just left me here" I then offered to give them $20 if they gave me a ride home. They wanted the money up front but I reminded them that I had just been mugged and would pay them when we got to my house. So they said they were cool with that and I crawled into the back of the cab and we started driving to my place. They asked me what had happened and I told them my story. The the guy on the passenger side told me his story. He said that he and his partner were out to rob a convienance store and to emphasise his point he pulled a sawed off shotgun out from under his seat and pointed it at me with a big goofy grin on his face. I mean it was straight the fuck out of pulp fiction. I instantly reached out and grabed the barrel of the gun and pointed the business end of it away from me and shouted "Jesus Christ dude, I just got mugged! The last thing I want to see is a gun!". He laughed and put the gun away. I swear I about had a fucking heart attack when he pulled out that shotgun.

So then we finally get to my place but guess what. The little skinny prick who mugged me had run off with my car keys...which included my house keys. So I said "Fuck it" and just kicked my front door in. Took me about three kicks before I broke the dead lock and the door jamb but got the door open. I gave the two hillbillys their $20, thanked them profusely and to my great relief they got into their truck and left.

So then I go into the house and I call my sister the nurse up to tell her to come over and bring her medical kit cause I have some cuts that need sewed up. So I call sis up and while I'm talking to her two cops come busting in through my broken door with revolvers drawn and pointed at me and screaming "Get on the floor! Get on the floor!" which I did...promptly. The neighbor had seen someone covered in blood kicking in my door and did what anyone would have done. He called the cops.

So the cops cuff me, frisk me, sit me up, start asking me questions, I show them ID, explain the whole story, had to kick my door in cause the mugger took my keys, they called the Dayton police, who confirmed my story. They then offered to take my to the hospital and I declined telling them that my father was a doctor and my sister a nurse and that I was on the phone with her when they came in. So they left and about 20 minutes later my sister and husband showed up. So I showered up and my sister fixed my cuts and her husband fixed my door.

I have not, to this day, stopped to help anyone with car problems.

That's one hell of a story, Mott! Considering the guy had your keys did you get your car and home re-keyed? Or sit at home in the dark with a shot gun hoping the guy would show up? :)

The best I have is a skitzophrenic pulled a knife on me and pointed it at my face

I had a skinhead point a gun at me at a party when I said that Hitler sucked the white stuff from AIDS a$$. It was an unpleasant experience. He was "impressed" when I didn't react, he said I "have balls"... I wasn't trying to be impressive. I was trying not to sh*t my pants.

I was living in the Cincinnati suburbs at the time and I was driving home from visiting family on a summer Sunday evening through Dayton when I decided to drop by a local BBQ Joint that's pretty popular in the area called "Old Hickory". It's located in a strip mall off of west Third street. Probably not the best part of town but not exactly East St. Louis either but pretty much the hillbilly part of town. So I ate my dinner and paid the bill/tip with the last of the cash I had on me and left. My car was parked in the lot behind the strip mall. I was pulling out of the parking lot when I saw a young man in his mid twenties leaning on the fender well of his car with a frustrated look on his face like he was having car troubles. He was kinda skinny and didn't exactly look like a thug or a gang banger so I fucked up, pulled up to him, rolled the passenger window down and asked "You all right, need help?". He smiled, walked up to my car, reached around to his back pocket, pulled out a revolver, stuck it through the passenger window I had just rolled down and said "Give me your money or I'll blow your brains out."

He then reached in, unlocked the door while still pointing the gun at me and jumped into the passenger seat. He told me to give him my wallet. So I put my hands up and said. "Dude, real slow like I'm reaching my right hand into my back pocket to get my wallet but there's no money in it. Take my debit and credit card.". I then handed him my wallet which did not have any money in it. When he saw that the wallet had no money he smacked me three times in a rown, "whack, whack, whack" with the side of the revolver. That split the skin at my hair line and I started bleeding profusely. He pointed the gun back at my head and said "I aint kidding, give me your money mother fucker or I'll blow your brains out." To which I calmly said "I don't have any cash. Take my debit card. The PIN is blah blah blah." He rummaged through my glove box, found no money, went "whack, whack, whack" on my face again, cuting me above my left eye and threatened to blow my brains out if I didn't give him some money. Again I calmly said "I don't have any cash. Take the plastic my PIN is blah blah blah." He the rummaged through my counsel by the drivers seat and didn't find any money. Again he went "whack, whack, whack" on my face with the side of the revolver cutting my forehead. This time I looked him straight in the eye (not exagerating or bragging, I actually said this), "dude, you hit me one more time with that gun you'd better shoot me." The asshole called my bluff. He pointed the barrel of the gun a ffew inches from the center of my eyes and pulled the hammer back on the revolver. To which I said "I have no cash, take the plastic. My PIN is blah, blah, blah."

He then told me to get out of the car and that he was going to take me to an ATM to get money with my card and if I tried anything funny he'd shoot me. Keeping the gun pointed at my head I started to get out of the car. I tried taking my keys out of the ignition but he told me to leave them there. I didn't argue. He came around the car, keeping the gun pointed at my head until he stood beside me and ordered me to start walking over to his car. So I did. My mind was racing about a million miles an hour about what to do but I wasn't going to get into that car. I figured I was dead if I did. Fortunately for me just as we neared his car some guy came walking around the corner and into the driveway of the parking lot where he could see us. Stupid Robin Hood dropped the gun down by his side to hide it and when he did I let him have it with perfeclty executed shoulder block with everything I had. I literally lifted him of the ground and sent him sliding on the asphalt. I was hoping he'd drop the revolver cause I was going to pick it up and shoot his ass but the little punk held onto it so I turned and hauled ass. He got up and fired at me but I was 50 yards or more down the road by the time he got up and started shooting.

So I ran about 3 or 4 blocks to a BP where I shouted at the clerk to call the police. Considering my face was cut up and my shirt soaked in blood he didn't wast any time and to their credit the Cops where there in like a minute.

No this is where the story gets weird. I quickly told the cops what happened, where my car was, that the keys were still in the ignition and that the punk might steal my car. They took me straight to my car and miraculously it was still there....but the little ass hole stole my keys and my spare set was back home. The police secured the situation and offered to call an ambulance which I declined, then then asked what I wanted to do with the car and I asked them to call a wrecker and tow it to an impound lot where it will be relatively safe until I could get home and get my keys. They did that and then took me back to the BP so they could take a report from me and the BP clerk. They then asked me if I had anyone who could come pick me up. I said "No" I'm new to the area and all my family lives elsewhere. The assholes then told me that they couldn't give me a ride and fucking left me there at the BP with my face all cut up and covered in blood. I was really pissed about that but I didn't know what the fuck to do.

So a few minutes go buy and a couple of hillbillys pull into the BP in a pick up truck. One of them looks at me and says "Holly shit what happened to you". I said "I just got mugged and the god damned cops just left me here" I then offered to give them $20 if they gave me a ride home. They wanted the money up front but I reminded them that I had just been mugged and would pay them when we got to my house. So they said they were cool with that and I crawled into the back of the cab and we started driving to my place. They asked me what had happened and I told them my story. The the guy on the passenger side told me his story. He said that he and his partner were out to rob a convienance store and to emphasise his point he pulled a sawed off shotgun out from under his seat and pointed it at me with a big goofy grin on his face. I mean it was straight the fuck out of pulp fiction. I instantly reached out and grabed the barrel of the gun and pointed the business end of it away from me and shouted "Jesus Christ dude, I just got mugged! The last thing I want to see is a gun!". He laughed and put the gun away. I swear I about had a fucking heart attack when he pulled out that shotgun.

So then we finally get to my place but guess what. The little skinny prick who mugged me had run off with my car keys...which included my house keys. So I said "Fuck it" and just kicked my front door in. Took me about three kicks before I broke the dead lock and the door jamb but got the door open. I gave the two hillbillys their $20, thanked them profusely and to my great relief they got into their truck and left.

So then I go into the house and I call my sister the nurse up to tell her to come over and bring her medical kit cause I have some cuts that need sewed up. So I call sis up and while I'm talking to her two cops come busting in through my broken door with revolvers drawn and pointed at me and screaming "Get on the floor! Get on the floor!" which I did...promptly. The neighbor had seen someone covered in blood kicking in my door and did what anyone would have done. He called the cops.

So the cops cuff me, frisk me, sit me up, start asking me questions, I show them ID, explain the whole story, had to kick my door in cause the mugger took my keys, they called the Dayton police, who confirmed my story. They then offered to take my to the hospital and I declined telling them that my father was a doctor and my sister a nurse and that I was on the phone with her when they came in. So they left and about 20 minutes later my sister and husband showed up. So I showered up and my sister fixed my cuts and her husband fixed my door.

Cincy is such a good conservative town.

Since we're all posting our near death experiences...

The only one that really bothered me was when I was in Iraq. My squad was going out to do road repair, because that was our job for the month. We had assembled at the gate to leave the wire and I was supposed to be gunning for the lead vehicle. I never liked being lead because the gun sucked (I preferred the .50cal), I was too high off the ground to see anything, there was no harness for gunners, and this happened to be at night. But just before we stepped off, a Army convoy pulled up behind us. They were huge, probably 100 vehicles. We decided to let them go first because if we left first they would be stuck behind us all night while we repaired the roads. So we sat back and watched as the Army convoy left. Just as the last vehicle got about 150 yards outside the wire, there was a MASSIVE explosion. The last truck was lifted off the ground and landed upside down. Needless to say no one made it out. Turns out they ran over a old black garage door button that triggered 3 daisy chained artillery shells. No way they could have seen it in the day time, let alone at night.

All I could think about was how that could have been me, if not for us running on the same schedule as the Army. Been shot at before and after that, and almost blown up a couple more times, but this is the only time it bothered me. I guess because there would have been no way to stop it except for luck.

That's one hell of a story, Mott! Considering the guy had your keys did you get your car and home re-keyed? Or sit at home in the dark with a shot gun hoping the guy would show up? :)
No my brother in law fixed the door jamb and reinstalled the dead bolt for me and I had a spare set of keys at home. I just went to the impound lot the next day, paid the wrecker and impound fee and drove my car home.

Since we're all posting our near death experiences...

The only one that really bothered me was when I was in Iraq. My squad was going out to do road repair, because that was our job for the month. We had assembled at the gate to leave the wire and I was supposed to be gunning for the lead vehicle. I never liked being lead because the gun sucked (I preferred the .50cal), I was too high off the ground to see anything, there was no harness for gunners, and this happened to be at night. But just before we stepped off, a Army convoy pulled up behind us. They were huge, probably 100 vehicles. We decided to let them go first because if we left first they would be stuck behind us all night while we repaired the roads. So we sat back and watched as the Army convoy left. Just as the last vehicle got about 150 yards outside the wire, there was a MASSIVE explosion. The last truck was lifted off the ground and landed upside down. Needless to say no one made it out. Turns out they ran over a old black garage door button that triggered 3 daisy chained artillery shells. No way they could have seen it in the day time, let alone at night.

All I could think about was how that could have been me, if not for us running on the same schedule as the Army. Been shot at before and after that, and almost blown up a couple more times, but this is the only time it bothered me. I guess because there would have been no way to stop it except for luck.
There but for the grace of God.

I don't have any near-death experiences. I guess that is weird but I don't. Unless you count the strokes I nearly have reading some of the posts here every day!

Yep, America the greatest country on Earth. Do you carry a gun around with you now?

Yep, America the greatest country on Earth. Do you carry a gun around with you now?
Hell no! I'm married and I'm an asshole. Having a gun would be an open invite to get shot when I piss of the Misses. Not to mention the Misses has one hell of a temper and don't take crap off anyone. So no guns in my house! No way!

I've also had several ribs broken when I was stomped on by a bull back in my bullriding days... (early 20s were awesome). They helicoptered me to the hospital where they taped me up and gave me loads of anti-inflammatories for this huge bruise on my thigh. I'm glad it didn't break that and that the bull fighters got him off me quickly. One step onto my unprotected head and my ability to do high level math may have faltered.

I wish I could talk more about my time in the Navy, but it is something that I don't get to share much... Too classified... :( I have some good stories that I wish I could tell.

I've also had several ribs broken when I was stomped on by a bull back in my bullriding days... (early 20s were awesome). They helicoptered me to the hospital where they taped me up and gave me loads of anti-inflammatories for this huge bruise on my thigh. I'm glad it didn't break that and that the bull fighters got him off me quickly. One step onto my unprotected head and my ability to do high level math may have faltered.
I think that pretty much faltered when you got onto the bull in the first place.

I tried drowning myself in the pool at my uncle's old apartment complex in the Northgate district of Seattle, twice by the time I was 4. On the day of Clinton's inauguration, I tried ending myself during a massive Northwest windstorm that wrecked havoc in the Puget Sound area, by approaching a downed power cable that had snapped under the weight of a felled tree and landed several feet from me. The sparking of the cable seemed cool to me, and I wanted to get a closer look. I was six, and my mom was there, walking me back home from school (which had been cancelled too late for me to not show up), so she freaked out and grabbed me before I could potentially harm myself.

Anyway, this stuff all happened ages ago, and I have no memory of the first drowing episode. I do not have a negative memory of the electrical episode, because at the time I was not aware of the danger I was in (other than the danger of falling trees, flying debris, potentially out-of-control vehicles, and high speed gusts of wind). Looking back, I'm shocked by how close I was to being struck by that falling cable as it came down, let alone my impulse to see how awesome it was.

Back