Now that Havana poon said he moved to Thailand

Those who disgustingly bash Tom's wife are impotent losers with hairy palms.

Bash Tom, but his wife, in such a personal manner, shame on you. Pigs.

She is pretty.

Have you really moved there? If so, how is the heat? Cost of living? What is it like there?

I have a year's visa and my wife has part ownership of the family run restaurant. The heat is not good from say April till August, typically high 30s and 80% humidity during the day, but then the rainy season starts. That keeps the humidity down substantially but when it rains here it doesn't mess about, it just buckets down for a hour or two.

Thailand is getting more expensive and that not helped by the weak pound/baht rate, back in the day you used to get over 60 baht now it's down to 37/38. Some of that is Brexit related so ought to change sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

Now that I've finally cracked Thai, it helped tremendously especially outside the touristy areas. I like it here so far anyway, living somewhere is definitely different to being a visitor, different vibe. Pattaya has changed a lot as well, many Chinese, Russians and Indians. My wife's restaurant is in Bang Saen, which is about 40 kms of Pattaya, and is far more Thai orientated. At the weekend Bangkok empties and many head there for a break. That's when her restaurant does the most business.

I have a year's visa and my wife has part ownership of the family run restaurant. The heat is not good from say April till August, typically high 30s and 80% humidity during the day, but then the rainy season starts. That keeps the humidity down substantially but when it rains here it doesn't mess about, it just buckets down for a hour or two.

Thailand is getting more expensive and that not helped by the weak pound/baht rate, back in the day you used to get over 60 baht now it's down to 37/38. Some of that is Brexit related so ought to change sooner or later, hopefully sooner.

Now that I've finally cracked Thai, it helped tremendously especially outside the touristy areas. I like it here so far anyway, living somewhere is definitely different to being a visitor, different vibe. Pattaya has changed a lot as well, many Chinese, Russians and Indians. My wife's restaurant is in Bang Saen, which is about 40 kms of Pattaya, and is far more Thai orientated. At the weekend Bangkok empties and many head there for a break. That's when her restaurant does the most business.

I think I missed some of what you said in your old English.

So what I gather is, the pound does better there? And living accommodations are well enough for the pound vs local currency?

As for the heat, not for me anymore, I don't think.
Was thinking of Costa Rica as a retirement place, given the value of the American dollar and how (relatively) inexpensive it is to buy or rent a place there.

I think I missed some of what you said in your old English.

So what I gather is, the pound does better there? And living accommodations are well enough for the pound vs local currency?

As for the heat, not for me anymore, I don't think.
Was thinking of Costa Rica as a retirement place, given the value of the American dollar and how (relatively) inexpensive it is to buy or rent a place there.

I am saying that it's like an inferno for about 4 months of the year, but from October to March it's lovely apart from the rain. Accomodation depends on where you live much like anywhere. I was with a black American ex-Marine for a few days and I took him to see some condos on Jomtien Beach. He loved it especially the prices for rent and buying. The baht is strong against the pound right now, which makes everything that much more expensive for us Brits, that will change I hope!!

Last edited:
Having a Thai style bbq just now, health and safety would go apeshit in the US or UK, but I can honestly that I've never seen an accident.

IMG_20191012_184733.jpg

I am saying that it's like an inferno for about 4 months of the year, but from October to March it's lovely apart from the rain. Accomodation depends on where you live much like anywhere. I was with a black American ex-Marine for a few days and I took him to see some condos on Jomtien Beach. He loved it especially the prices for rent and buying. The baht is strong against the pound right now, which makes everything that much more expensive for us Brits, that will change I hope!!

Hmmmm... Maybe California isn't so bad... And I live on the coast.

Hmmmm... Maybe California isn't so bad... And I live on the coast.

The weather here now is lovely, it tends to rain for a hour or so every other day and the humidity just tumbles. It can even get quite cold in December, with night time temperatures going down to 10C sometimes.

Back