APP - Obama's "Fishy" untruths

True that. My sister's hospital stay was much cheaper than that.

Never having been in hospital emergency room care(thank goodness), I have no idea what it might cost but I can opine that a 2 day stay in the ER is probably damned(ridiculously) expensive. That said, the fact remains that the cost of a leg amputation to Medicare is in multiple thousands of dollars, the $1200(the subject of this thread) to the surgeon being but a fraction of the total cost. The cost of the anesthesiologist, pre-op, and the OR alone would be several times the $1200 some would have us believe is the total. The President's numbers were correct if not too low.

Last edited:
Never having been in hospital emergency room care(thank goodness), I have no idea what it might cost but I can opine that a 2 day stay in the ER is probably damned(ridiculously) expensive. That said, the fact remains that the cost of a leg amputation to Medicare is in multiple thousands of dollars, the $1200(the subject of this thread) to the surgeon being but a fraction of the total cost. The cost of the anesthesiologist, pre-op, and the OR alone would be several times the $1200 some would have us believe is the total. The President's numbers were correct if not too low.
Actually rooms are more expensive, most insurance tries to keep you in the ER where your co-pays are higher therefore. I've actually spent three days in an ER bed because if I was passed on to the hospital my copay went down and their expenses went up.

Actually rooms are more expensive, most insurance tries to keep you in the ER where your co-pays are higher therefore. I've actually spent three days in an ER bed because if I was passed on to the hospital my copay went down and their expenses went up.

I always thought that ER care was more expensive than in-room care, BUT shouldn't you have been placed in the proper place for your treatment rather than basing it on who pays what? Wasn't your insurance co. interfering with your care based on cost? Have you just pointed out yet another weakness in the system we now are "blessed" with?
As an aside, while you were being held in the ER were there people in the waiting room awaiting treatment?
You mentioned no figure in responding to another poster, may I ask what the total cost was?

I always thought that ER care was more expensive than in-room care, BUT shouldn't you have been placed in the proper place for your treatment rather than basing it on who pays what? Wasn't your insurance co. interfering with your care based on cost? Have you just pointed out yet another weakness in the system we now are "blessed" with?
As an aside, while you were being held in the ER were there people in the waiting room awaiting treatment?
You mentioned no figure in responding to another poster, may I ask what the total cost was?
I wouldn't be able to tell you, I just know what the insurance does. At that time I was unconcerned with their cost, and glad that my pain was not another kidney stone. I was also unable to ascertain if there were any others waiting for care. I was put in a bed behind a curtain and drugged up beyond caring.

I wouldn't be able to tell you, I just know what the insurance does. At that time I was unconcerned with their cost, and glad that my pain was not another kidney stone. I was also unable to ascertain if there were any others waiting for care. I was put in a bed behind a curtain and drugged up beyond caring.

I understand, I've heard passing a stone is terribly painful. It is my belief the fact that the insured, whether by private co. or not, take too little interest in their care and the costs involved. I for one, whether it's my Medicare or my wife's BCBS, will not permit an unsubstantiated charge or overcharge on my bill and fight as if it were totally my cost. I have found that the parties on the other side of the desk or on the phone usually are surprised by my determination for correct charges. I think that if there was an audit system for all billing and all patients were required to review their bills for accuracy, (maybe with a small % spiff)substantial savings would result.
I'm sure the private carriers have some such system for their portion of the bill, I'm almost as sure Medicare doesn't have the resources.

I'd love for Southern Man to explain how the hell seniors are going to die under Obama's plan.

The same way they have died every single day of every single year of every single millenium since time began.

People don't live forever, hence they DIE!

Back