"People who believe in God are more likely to be leftwing, according to a new study."

My Christian background makes me respect my neighbors more. If someone is born blind, I want to help. If someone is disabled, I want to help. If someone is working or trying to work but still poor, I want to help. If a natural disaster hits someone, I want to help.

Now, the big push the Right has had lately is "let the churches deal with it" but the Church is more about spreading Christianity than it is about donating money. In fact I asked my Church to help me on one of my recent fundraisers and they told me they don't do fundraisers. They wouldn't ask around for 1-5 warm bodies to help out with a community fundraiser.

Would the Bible teach us to force everyone to help, no. But since I was brought up with the values of helping and I live in America that was based on my religious beliefs and since UNITED WE STAND........I tend to give a few bucks to those in worst case scenario times.

But there is corruption in the system. There are people committing government fraud. I say attack the fraud, not the disabled. In fact my family has done it's part in reporting fraud by calling 1-800-424-5454 (gov. fraud hotline) on someone scamming the system. I'm guessing the Right Wingers didn't know about this number because they see one flaw and they want to punish everyone instead of attempting to fight for a better system. Of course, the easy road is their road.

ho believe in God are more likely to be leftwing, according to a new study."

My Christian background makes me respect my neighbors more. If someone is born blind, I want to help. If someone is disabled, I want to help. If someone is working or trying to work but still poor, I want to help. If a natural disaster hits someone, I want to help.

Now, the big push the Right has had lately is "let the churches deal with it" but the Church is more about spreading Christianity than it is about donating money. In fact I asked my Church to help me on one of my recent fundraisers and they told me they don't do fundraisers. They wouldn't ask around for 1-5 warm bodies to help out with a community fundraiser.

Would the Bible teach us to force everyone to help, no. But since I was brought up with the values of helping and I live in America that was based on my religious beliefs and since UNITED WE STAND........I tend to give a few bucks to those in worst case scenario times.

But there is corruption in the system. There are people committing government fraud. I say attack the fraud, not the disabled. In fact my family has done it's part in reporting fraud by calling 1-800-424-5454 (gov. fraud hotline) on someone scamming the system. I'm guessing the Right Wingers didn't know about this number because they see one flaw and they want to punish everyone instead of attempting to fight for a better system. Of course, the easy road is their road.

Excellent post. Thanks.

consider trying a different church?

I understand why you say that. I have a disabled relative. Nearly NO churches could survive if they paid for her needs. She has cost millions, because that is what the top %ers demand for treatment. Even her last hospital change in the same state (not across) cost $10,000. Now think about OT,PT, ST which is basic care to make her more normal. Take a guess how much they make.

What if the parents don't have insurance? "should have been more prosperous" or what. The parents HAVE insurance. The hospitals STILL bill. The Church doesn't make enough to cover the billing even with insurance.

The Church can't afford it.

Well, it's not so much about results, or even the promise of volunteers, but my church has always been big on at least announcing these things, and calling for volunteers.

Well, it's not so much about results, or even the promise of volunteers, but my church has always been big on at least announcing these things, and calling for volunteers.

The church still wants to help with her. But they are more focused on funding to "spread the word of Christ". Who could blame them. My church said they would help us with a hotel visit or other things.

The POINT of this thread is that the Church can help families that are in need. But the Church can NOT be a substitute Insurance for the Greedy top % medical. The top % will take more than the Church all day.

le who believe in God are more likely to be leftwing, according to a new study."

The church still wants to help with her. But they are more focused on funding to "spread the word of Christ". Who could blame them. My church said they would help us with a hotel visit or other things.

The POINT of this thread is that the Church can help families that are in need. But the Church can NOT be a substitute Insurance for the Greedy top % medical. The top % will take more than the Church all day.

Even if you add private charities beyond the church....it's still not enough. When a tragedy strikes...a Hurricane, an Earthquake...an EF5 tornado like Joplin...we all pitch in......for a week or so. Then we lose interest.

To think that we would be capable(and I know this is getting off track from your situation) and willing to take on the grinding and long term(if not perpetual) problem of poverty with private and religious charity is a very naive stance.

I'm confused why you believe health care is expensive because of the top 1%.........

Even if you add private charities beyond the church....it's still not enough. When a tragedy strikes...a Hurricane, an Earthquake...an EF5 tornado like Joplin...we all pitch in......for a week or so. Then we lose interest.

To think that we would be capable(and I know this is getting off track from your situation) and willing to take on the grinding and long term(if not perpetual) problem of poverty with private and religious charity is a very naive stance.

I agree with Steelplate and AntiParty - churches have their place, but they can't replace health insurance, food stamps, and other kinds of safety net programs.

"People who believe in God are more likely to be leftwing, according to a new study."

'They put a greater value on equality than the non-religious, are more likely to be welcoming of immigrants as neighbors and when asked are more likely to put themselves on the left of the political spectrum.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-wing-liberal-views-immigration-equality.html

I believe it and it doesn't surprise me at all. If you were raised Christian like me then you were taught to be kind to your neighbor. Accept all for their differences. Care for the poor and the needy. Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.” Sound more Right Wing Capitalist or Left Wing?

The reason for this thread is in hope that the Left will stop attacking Religion. Attacking Religion has nothing to do with politics. Because religion should have never played a part in politics since the Constitution states "Freedom of Religion". I know it did make laws based on Christian beliefs, but fight it from the "Freedom of Religion" angle instead of the "anti-religion" angle.
the concept of being kind to one's neighbor, or the world itself (sentient beings) is also known as bodhisattva in Buddhism -those on the Path.
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/b_fbodi.htm
^advanced Buddhist dharma, beyond my limited scope

In Buddhism, a bodhisattva (Sanskrit: बोधिसत्त्व bodhisattva; Pali: बोधिसत्त bodhisatta) is an enlightenment (bodhi) being (sattva). Traditionally, a bodhisattva is anyone who, motivated by great compassion, has generated bodhicitta, which is a spontaneous wish to attain Buddhahood for the benefit of all sentient beings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva

Dharma (Buddhism)

For many Buddhists, the Dharma most often means the body of teachings expounded by the Buddha
The word is also used in Buddhist phenomenology as a term roughly equivalent to phenomenon, a basic unit of existence and/or experience.

particularly as "the Dharma", generally means the teachings of the Buddha, commonly known throughout the East as Buddha-Dharma.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharma

the concept of being kind to one's neighbor, or the world itself (sentient beings) is also known as bodhisattva in Buddhism -those on the Path.
http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/history/b_fbodi.htm
^advanced Buddhist dharma, beyond my limited scope

You are correct but let me +1 you on that statement. "Treat others like you wish to be treated" is the CORE of all religion. If my link doesn't work then just google/image "religion golden rule".

The Right Wing seems to fail ALL religions, not just our own.

http://andresroemer.com/images/81.jpg

le who believe in God are more likely to be leftwing, according to a new study."

You are correct but let me +1 you on that statement. "Treat others like you wish to be treated" is the CORE of all religion. If my link doesn't work then just google/image "religion golden rule".

The Right Wing seems to fail ALL religions, not just our own.

http://andresroemer.com/images/81.jpg

Universal truths....there are many that span all religions. I believe, even though I try to follow a Christian path....that most of the exclusiveness and dogma associated with organized religions is man-made....not from God.

I believe that God is bigger and more INCLUSIVE than we can fathom. I also believe his(her?) Ability to forgive wrong we may have committed in our lives is beyond our comprehension. After all, we are talking about the architect of the universe.

The church teaches us how to be good Christians and a good moral person. You don't have to be a Christian to have morals and want to help the needy..............

ple who believe in God are more likely to be leftwing, according to a new study."

You know...when I first downloaded Tapatalk....I was amazed at how.many forums I had to choose from. I consider myself a.decent Christian....I question a little too much to be called devout, but I think I fit well within the boundaries of decent.

Anyway, I thought I would join a Christian forum....and you know what? It's the same stuff on those forums as it is on here.....Catholics vs. Protestants, Calvinists vs. Evangelicals...and so on.

Which only convinces me more that we are most undeserving of God's forgiveness than ever before.

We turn on each other at the slightest differences and we always think that the group we belong to is the only one...or at least the best. We Christians are no better than the warlords of Afghanistan, the Tribes of the Native Americans or Africans, the warring clans of Pagan religions, or even the Bloods and the Crips of the inner city gangs.

We have no clue how to actually BE Christians....we just pray and praise and sing to the Lord...and it makes us feel better....that's about all we know. Then we go on to our daily lives and be as callous and ruthless as we can be.

If God made us like this.....it was an error on his part. If the Serpent(Satan) actually did the tempting in the Garden of Eden as it was written....then God really should take into consideration that the one sin of Adam and Eve was a LONG time ago, and perhaps forgive us all....or go ahead and cut the head off the serpent and let us live in peace. How long does mankind have to suffer for a couple ill advised bites of a forbidden fruit?

Ok....sermon/rant over.....the bottom line is that there is not one amongst us who is righteous.

You know...when I first downloaded Tapatalk....I was amazed at how.many forums I had to choose from. I consider myself a.decent Christian....I question a little too much to be called devout, but I think I fit well within the boundaries of decent.

Anyway, I thought I would join a Christian forum....and you know what? It's the same stuff on those forums as it is on here.....Catholics vs. Protestants, Calvinists vs. Evangelicals...and so on.

Which only convinces me more that we are most undeserving of God's forgiveness than ever before.

We turn on each other at the slightest differences and we always think that the group we belong to is the only one...or at least the best. We Christians are no better than the warlords of Afghanistan, the Tribes of the Native Americans or Africans, the warring clans of Pagan religions, or even the Bloods and the Crips of the inner city gangs.

We have no clue how to actually BE Christians....we just pray and praise and sing to the Lord...and it makes us feel better....that's about all we know. Then we go on to our daily lives and be as callous and ruthless as we can be.

If God made us like this.....it was an error on his part. If the Serpent(Satan) actually did the tempting in the Garden of Eden as it was written....then God really should take into consideration that the one sin of Adam and Eve was a LONG time ago, and perhaps forgive us all....or go ahead and cut the head off the serpent and let us live in peace. How long does mankind have to suffer for a couple ill advised bites of a forbidden fruit?

Ok....sermon/rant over.....the bottom line is that there is not one amongst us who is righteous.

Trust me dude, I respect your rant. I have a million questions also. I think I was in 5th grade when I had to have a talk with my priest. I had lots of questions. I asked "what about the dinosaurs that were here before the earth in the bible?" He simply stated that satan put them there to make me question and the bible teaches faith, I was challenging my faith with a question.....TODAY we have human remains that date back way past the time the bible stated the world started. Also the Bible constantly talks about "god talking through a person, but never to everyone". The people today that scream god is talking through them.....are they saints or threats? My father in law is one step from a priest and he is the biggest dirt bag on the planet, he preys on power. His whole life is based on power over other people.

To keep from losing faith I keep having to go back to that Ghandi quote; "I like your Christ, but dislike your Christians".

I will join some forums like you and ensure that Christianity wasn't made because a barbaric society wasn't going to change due to law and needed a post life threat to correct them.

Why Christians are more likely to vote Left today;

Equality. Christianity teaches pure equality. Gender doesn't matter, religion doesn't matter, and your monetary status does not matter.

They do not worship money or any other "thing" that can be placed before god. In a world where we know for a fact that we can end starvation, we have a select few people who hold the majority of the worlds wealth and do not attempt to help the truly hungry. Christie Walton, Wal-Mart owner who has turned Wal-Mart into a greed factory, is worth $27.9Billion. Now at 22 cents a meal to feed the hungry, imagine how many people she could feed if she was only greedy enough to be worth $1Billion. According to my math, that's still "Makin it".

"Care for one another". There has been a movement that says "Personal Accountability" in order to dismiss anyone on worst case scenario conditions in their life. United We Stand has nothing to do with focusing on yourself and not helping others. That's basic ignorance.

Don't judge gays. Let's set this straight once and for all. God never made laws to prevent gay marriage. God simply stated we should not condone gays. Making laws to prevent gays from living like us is Judgement. The Bible states "Do not judge or be judged". Voting for law to attack gays is directly stone throwing.

Last, the party of "god" as they call themselves thrive on fear and hate to deliver a message to prevent it from being boring. God's message doesn't have to be reduced to emotion to be spread.

P.S. Glen Beck and Bill O'Reilly calling yourselves followers of god is an embarrassment to everything I've ever read/learned as a Christian. And for Bill O'Reilly to actually correct the Bible shows he is a fool. The Bible is correct Bill, not you.

Voting for these laws is directly selling out your morals, AP. If you actually believe it's immoral, then don't vote for it, because that is what condoning is. Judging would be setting up some arcane punishment such as jail, or actually physically stoning people to death because you disagree with them. Refusing to pass new laws to amend our social institutions is not, has never been, and will never be, the definition of judgement.

Also, the fact that so many on the left refuse to differentiate between right-and-wrong is one of MANY reasons why I can't take them seriously when they bring up religion. When I am amongst leftists, it just seems much more natural to discuss drugs, sexuality, and crappy Youtube videos...

Back