Pick one: The "Bullitt" Mustang or the "Vanishing Point" Challenger

Here's a bonus thread question...

Is there any other car made before 1970 that you'd rather have had Steve McQueen driven in the Bullitt chase scene?

Careful, this is a multi-faceted challenge.

Your knowledge of cars of the era...

Your preference of car styles...

And your psychological ability to go against years of psychological imprinting the Mustang Fastback on your mind to even imagine a different car burning rubber on the hills and streets of San Francisco.

And I admit that I find it difficult to imagine a different car than the green Mustang. And I also don't know cars well enough from the 1960's to know if there is another baddass 60's car that might say the same thing that the green McQueen Mustang did and still does.

This is the only car I can imagine instead of the Mustang Fastback.

ch1009-87215_3@2x.jpg

Although it sends a different "message" than the Mustang does.

And I really can't imagine Steve McQueen/Lieutenant Frank Bullitt driving a Camaro.

It just don't fit, I must admit.

;)

This is the only car I can imagine instead of the Mustang Fastback.

ch1009-87215_3@2x.jpg

Although it sends a different "message" than the Mustang does.

And I really can't imagine Steve McQueen/Lieutenant Frank Bullitt driving a Camaro.

It just don't fit, I must admit.

;)

Well, it has to be built in '68 or before and it can't be a Dodge Charger (the Roadrunner was the most popular muscle car that year). That leaves a few, but not many. My picks (in no particular order) are

Pontiac GTO

12-1564149917895@2x.jpg

Dodge Dart GTS

1968DodgeDartGTS_01_700.jpg

Mercury Cyclone (my favorite)

restored-1968-mercury-cyclone-makes-the-aero-warriors-proud-144826-7.jpg

and the American Motors AMX

12184121-1968-amc-amx-thumb.jpg

Well, it has to be built in '68 or before and it can't be a Dodge Charger (the Roadrunner was the most popular muscle car that year). That leaves a few, but not many. My picks (in no particular order) are

Pontiac GTO

12-1564149917895@2x.jpg

Dodge Dart GTS

1968DodgeDartGTS_01_700.jpg

Mercury Cyclone (my favorite)

restored-1968-mercury-cyclone-makes-the-aero-warriors-proud-144826-7.jpg

and the American Motors AMX

12184121-1968-amc-amx-thumb.jpg

Yeah, the Cyclone most closely resembles the Mustang Fastback.

And the Goat is the most iconic of the group, but it isn't as visually distinctive as the Mustang FB.

My first car was a 65 Mustang. Dark blue. Automatic. 289 V-8. Great car.

Mine had hub caps, but everything else was like the one in this image.

66coupe.jpg

My next car was a 71 Mustang canary yellow.

Ah, found one that looks almost identical to mine.

Loved that car. Again, like the Challenger, the 71 - 73 models were very pleasing to look at. Just beautiful to my eye. 302 V-8, automatic. High dashboard made me feel I was in a vintage fighter plane cockpit. I babied that car.

1973hardtop.jpg

That's a Mach 1 (The yellow)

I pick single-turbo Hayabusa! :hearnoevil:

How about this with 300 pounds of weight in the trunk, though?

iu

I think it had a 360 and a 4-barrel. They were fast, you could wear out some tires quick.

Here's a bonus thread question...

Is there any other car made before 1970 that you'd rather have had Steve McQueen driven in the Bullitt chase scene?

Careful, this is a multi-faceted challenge.

Your knowledge of cars of the era...

Your preference of car styles...

And your psychological ability to go against years of psychological imprinting the Mustang Fastback on your mind to even imagine a different car burning rubber on the hills and streets of San Francisco.

And I admit that I find it difficult to imagine a different car than the green Mustang. And I also don't know cars well enough from the 1960's to know if there is another baddass 60's car that might say the same thing that the green McQueen Mustang did and still does.

'69 GTO or Impala SS.

Both had a 396 long-stroke engine.

Wait..possible the Impalas had 427 Cobra-Jet engines.

I was right! :D

Chevy Malibu-something was what also had the 396.

Gah! I can still see the dude in school that had one, and the car, but can't remember the name. Chevelle! :D

Equivalent to a GTO in almost everything.

Impala SS had a 427 Cobra-jet and came in convertible, though.

I've seen an almost pristine one in blue for $5995 in blue.

In 1994. :awesome:

Last edited:
That's a Mach 1 (The yellow)

I think it was called the "Grande" or something. I never knew it as anything but a Mustang at the time. In retrospect I looked it up and I think the Mach 1 was a more performance oriented version than mine.

I might be mistaken, though.

:bigthink:

'69 GTO or Impala SS.

Both had a 396 long-stroke engine.

Wait..possible the Impalas had 427 Cobra-Jet engines.

I was right! :D

Chevy Malibu-something was what also had the 396.

Gah! I can still see the dude in school that had one, and the car, but can't remember the name. Chevelle! :D

Equivalent to a GTO in almost everything.

The Impala SS was awesome, but like the Goat, I think it would have been difficult to negotiate the hills and turns in the chase scene in BULLITT because of it's size and weight.

[HD] Greatest Hollywood Car Chase of All Time - Bullitt (1968) (10:18)

The Impala SS was awesome, but like the Goat, I think it would have been difficult to negotiate the hills and turns in the chase scene in BULLITT because of it's size and weight.

[HD] Greatest Hollywood Car Chase of All Time - Bullitt (1968) (10:18)

I like me some Steve McQueen. He did his own stunts and that car had beefed-up suspension.

I just watched "Smokey and the Bandit" . That had a lot of stunts in it, and that series only has more as it progresses.

That is a great scene. They kicked ass with that.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Cyclone most closely resembles the Mustang Fastback.

And the Goat is the most iconic of the group, but it isn't as visually distinctive as the Mustang FB.

I like the AMX too. A guy that attends some of the car shows I go to has a real nice one. Complete resto back to stock. 390 4-speed. I'd be proud of it.

Compare the Bullitt chase scene (in post #90) to the chase scene in, "To Live And Die in L.A."

Greatest Hollywood Car Chase of All Time - Bullitt (1968) versus...

To Live and Die in L.A. Car Chase (1985) HD (8:57)

This is the film, IINM, which first featured a freeway chase AGAINST THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC!

Compare the Bullitt chase scene (in post #90) to the chase scene in, "To Live And Die in L.A."

Greatest Hollywood Car Chase of All Time - Bullitt (1968) versus...

To Live and Die in L.A. Car Chase (1985) HD (8:57)

This is the film, IINM, which first featured a freeway chase AGAINST THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC!

That sucks compared to Bullitt.

I could take a box Chevy like that and make it do whatever I wanted it to.

If I ever get more money than sense, I will do that, ultimate sleeper..hemi turbo engine..

6-speed manual..LOL! I still remember the old ways of boring and balancing and angled valve jobs. Headers..

We put a 400 in a Chevy Vega.

351 in a little Mustang II

We did that stuff.

Last edited:
Back