Poll: Better off without religion?

Overall, would the world be better off without religion?

• Total voters
No, the world wouldn't be better off. Can you imagine the behaviour of the superstititious people who are only stopped from committing the most heinous of actions because they think there's someone watching them the whole time?Take away that surveillance and all hell will break lose.

No, religion is a tool of social control. I think it's crap but I don't need an invisible overlord making sure I don't get up to something bad.

*sigh*

Most people naturally work with society. Religion tends not to have much of an effect on the sociopaths your referring to.

He was a radical, but certainly not liberal. People just ignore many of his moral conservatism as well as his constant repetition that he came to cement, not change, belief in God so they can say this.

He wasn't political at all.

He certainly believed in change, but he wasn't, philosophically, liberal.

*sigh*

Most people naturally work with society. Religion tends not to have much of an effect on the sociopaths your referring to.

I wasn't referring to sociopaths.

Where you get so many things wrong here is that you assume too much.

I'll ask you a question, if I may. Are you well educated?

Don't you think though that believing in fantasy sky people that talk to you in the shower is a little more self destructive than possibly believing in.. say, a more tangible set of principles?
As far as my own emotions and opinions are concerned, that's a guarded "yes." As previously noted, I'm not actually an atheist, though my religious views are quite different from those of the American mainstream.

My opinions and feelings don't matter much though.

The question is whether the human race will ever -- or can ever -- evolve a consensus that rejects supernatural explanations. And I'm afraid that the answer is no. Individuals can but such individuals will always be in the minority, I believe.

Supernatural explanations are too easy. They're also encouraged by our natural tendency to experience the sense of awe from time to time.

As far as my own emotions and opinions are concerned, that's a guarded "yes." As previously noted, I'm not actually an atheist, though my religious views are quite different from those of the American mainstream.

The question is whether the human race will ever -- or can ever -- evolve a consensus that rejects supernatural explanations. And I'm afraid that the answer is no. Individuals can but such individuals will always be in the minority, I believe.

Supernatural explanations are too easy. They're also encouraged by our natural tendency to experience the sense of awe from time to time.
I think this is based in evolution. Mankind, and all other animals with some cognition, are hardwired to believe in things they cannot see.

If you think there is a jackal behind the bush and act accordingly you survive, if you don't act accordingly because you have no evidence you will not survive for long. This created not only the ability, but a need to believe in things we cannot see or even have much evidence of...

The question is whether the human race will ever -- or can ever -- evolve a consensus that rejects supernatural explanations.

Your goal is empty and pointless. The question is "will we ever develop a complex modern society which doesn't depend on old world style hierarchical totalitarianism for it's social order?" I say we will. This, of course, feels like anarchy to those caught in the abuse/abuser paradigm, so you will fight it. You prefer the certainty of a rigged game to the chaos of a real and living social morality.

Since our ancestors stood upright they've had a need for reassurance. We're hard-wired for it I think at times.

Your goal is empty and pointless. The question is "will we ever develop a complex modern society which doesn't depend on old world style hierarchical totalitarianism for it's social order?" I say we will. This, of course, feels like anarchy to those caught in the abuse/abuser paradigm, so you will fight it. You prefer the certainty of a rigged game to the chaos of a real and living social morality.

One day we'll get rid of "government" and "religion" and be truly human. Until then we're not truly free and we're in the grip of superstition.

One day we'll get rid of "government" and "religion" and be truly human. Until then we're not truly free and we're in the grip of superstition.

You sound like a fucking idiot. Really. Those are two pointless goals.

We need to merely reform the character and priorities of both, and don't force centralization as a solution to all facets of life. It's not best for all arenas; those who insist it is do so for the PERSONAL CONTROL. Allow people to opt out, and opt for self reliance.

I keep telling you, kid: stop believing the comic books. They don't reflect any reality you're likely to see when you grow up.

What you so childishly call "old world style hierarchical totalitarianism (sic)" -- I suggest you ought to learn what the word "totalitarianism" means before using it again -- is, in fact, how human beings govern themselves in the real world. You may not like it but that's your fault, not that of the species.

It's romantic, ideologically driven sophists like yourself, Mao Zedong and Adolph Hitler that are responsible for more misery and hate than any other kind of criminal. You refuse to accept that people simply don't work the way you think they "should" work, and so you become willing to oppress, maim and kill unimaginably large numbers of your fellow humans in doomed attempts to force the rest of us to live out your twisted and ignorant fantasies.

You sound like a fucking idiot. Really. Those are two pointless goals.

We need to merely reform the character and priorities of both, and don't force centralization as a solution to all facets of life. It's not best for all arenas; those who insist it is do so for the PERSONAL CONTROL. Allow people to opt out, and opt for self reliance.

Best of luck with it. Oh, there's a windmill over there you might like to tilt at.

Back