random thoughts on nothingness

One trusts that both you worthies are aware that "semantic meaning" is repetitive and redundant.

No Semantics is not synonymous with meaning...

Semantics quite literally means:

of, pertaining to, or arising from the different meanings of words or other symbols: semantic change; semantic confusion.

Therefore, since it pertains to, but does not mean "meaning" it is clearly not redundant to say "semantic meaning"...

No Semantics is not synonymous with meaning...

Semantics quite literally means:

of, pertaining to, or arising from the different meanings of words or other symbols: semantic change; semantic confusion.

Therefore, since it pertains to, but does not mean "meaning" it is clearly not redundant to say "semantic meaning"...
In other words "meaning" doesn't mean "meaning" in this context? Fascinating. Postively Clintonian, one might even say.

:D

Semantics is the study of meaning in language. The semantic value of a word is synonymous with the meaning of the word.

Now, I'll grant you that "semantic meaning" is a commonplace in modern English. It's still a redundancy.

Speaking personally again, I find the notion of an actual being -- an all powerful God, in most people's imaginations -- living without beginning or end to be too much of a stretch as well. I'm much more comfortable -- or less uncomfortable, more correctly -- with the idea of a non-living multiverse without boundaries.

I'm the opposite. I'm more comfortable with the notion that the big bang was sparked by "our creator". There has to be a point to all of this: living a just life, being kind to people, working through tribulations. I think life is pointless if there is nothing more to it than what we see here.

Yes life is most likely pointless, nothing we do really matters in the grand scheme of things.

I think that lifts a pretty big burden off of us.

Why did you change your mind Grind ? You supported me in your opening statements saying there was no time before the big bang.
Filp flopper ?

Besides all brilliant minds are not understood by the masses, remember copernicus and others ?

Other than by fear? Not many. The church did, through the same people that threatened Copernicus.

Fear worked pretty well in those times :)
and still does today, ie mushroom clouds....
Or, "They're coming for our children... " or "They want your grandma to eat dog food!" or... "Fatty foods must be banned, just think of the CHILDREN!" or...

Etc..

Back