Reality check on electric cars

Disprove my statement. If the panels were free, commercial solar would still be too expensive.

I know people who have solar panels on their garages to feed their EVs. Yeah, that is expensive to you. Once installed, all you have to do is keep them relatively clean. That is essentially free energy from that point on.

I know people who have solar panels on their garages to feed their EVs. Yeah, that is expensive to you. Once installed, all you have to do is keep them relatively clean. That is essentially free energy from that point on.

So long as you are charging when the panels are producing. What you are really doing is just paying for X years of electrical power today in a sense.

No, because you still need a means of producing that same amount of power when the sun isn't shining. The need for electricity is 24/7 not just when the sun is out. If the panels were free, you still need the land to put them on, the infrastructure that goes with them, the maintenance facilities to keep them working, the alternate means to either store or produce electricity when the sun isn't out, the personnel to run everything, and a way to distribute that power.

On top of that, because output is inconsistent with load, you need a means to shed excess power when it is produced.

The whole of that ends up costing more than just building reliable conventional generation using the cheapest available fuel that preferably minimizes pollution. Then you produce what you need, as you need it, 24 hours a day. Solar's inconsistent performance and inability to produce continuously are a double whammy that makes it unaffordable to use. It's why solar WILL NEVER BE COMPETITIVE WITH CONVENTIONAL GENERATION.

All great points.

Back