Reality check on electric cars

I have no interest in covering my roof and lining my back yard with solar panels, having the power lines run and replacing my existing home circuit breaker box.
I'm seriously considering selling my existing home and move further away from the clowns who voted for the idiots who will be representing my state.

FJB

That will please your neighbors. Odd how those who hate evs think they are experts and simply dismiss the experiences of people who actually drive them. What can you know, you just drive one every day. I have an ICE, that tells me all I need to know.

I have no interest in covering my roof and lining my back yard with solar panels, having the power lines run and replacing my existing home circuit breaker box.
I'm seriously considering selling my existing home and move further away from the clowns who voted for the idiots who will be representing my state.

FJB

That will please your neighbors. Odd how those who hate evs think they are experts and simply dismiss the experiences of people who actually drive them. What can you know, you just drive one every day. I have an ICE, that tells me all I need to know.

Not as much as it will please me. Damn developments have invaded my neighborhood (up the hill from me) and timbered the woods next to my property.
Yep, I have no interest in purchasing an EV and all the costs incurred with installing a charging system. It would never make it profitable.

FJB

Not as much as it will please me. Damn developments have invaded my neighborhood (up the hill from me) and timbered the woods next to my property.
Yep, I have no interest in purchasing an EV and all the costs incurred with installing a charging system. It would never make it profitable.

FJB

You do not have to install a charging system, assuming your home has electricity.

Most homes don't have a 200 amp circuit breaker.. That is what's needed to charge an electric car and run your household.

In the 1950's, houses usually had around 50 amps. In the 1960's, that started to be 100 amps. By the 1970's, it became 200 amps. And then it stopped. We started to get more efficient appliances, not just more appliances.

Are there still some houses with 50+ year old electrical wiring? Of course. There are even houses with no electricity. But they are becoming rarer.

Should we all give up electricity because some houses in the world do not have electricity, or should we try to update all houses?

In the 1950's, houses usually had around 50 amps. In the 1960's, that started to be 100 amps. By the 1970's, it became 200 amps. And then it stopped. We started to get more efficient appliances, not just more appliances.

Are there still some houses with 50+ year old electrical wiring? Of course. There are even houses with no electricity. But they are becoming rarer.

Should we all give up electricity because some houses in the world do not have electricity, or should we try to update all houses?
Now you're an electrician?

done-3

My home is not wired for 200 amps. My garage is wired for even less. I really don't care. It's good enough to run what I have.

My home is not wired for 200 amps.

You might consider updating your electrical system. There are a lot of benefits to being able to use modern electrical heating and cooling, but also safety benefits to having newer wiring.

Or don't. You are free to go without electricity if you want. I just do not like that you demand the rest of us get held back because your electrical is so old.

You might consider updating your electrical system. There are a lot of benefits to being able to use modern electrical heating and cooling, but also safety benefits to having newer wiring.

Or don't. You are free to go without electricity if you want. I just do not like that you demand the rest of us get held back because your electrical is so old.

Why waste the money on upgrades if what I have is sufficient to power all these modern electrical heating, cooling and assorted appliances? Why (when I can spend the money on another garage) would I want to when I have no interest in one of your electric cars.

Walt, I do have electricity!! Again, what I have is sufficient for my usage. How is my not upgrading my electrical system holding you back? Damn, how else can I hold you back?

Well, to do all that, you need about $10,000 to $20,000. Rewiring a whole home and then doing the repairs to the walls and ceilings will run you an easy ten grand alone. Modern heating and cooling and the modifications to ductwork necessary is $15,000 +.

Easiest way to do it is strip the entire interior of the home down to the studs and install it all at once along with new plumbing. But all that will run you say, $50,000 to do at a minimum.

The problem for most people is they don't have anywhere near the money available to do that. It's cheaper to just stay with what they have and pay a little more for power than drop tens of thousands into upgrading their home. Doing that is only going to pay off after several decades of use. It generally isn't worth it if you don't plan on doing a whole home remodel and upgrade along with it.

Well, to do all that, you need about $10,000 to $20,000. Rewiring a whole home and then doing the repairs to the walls and ceilings will run you an easy ten grand alone. Modern heating and cooling and the modifications to ductwork necessary is $15,000 +.

Easiest way to do it is strip the entire interior of the home down to the studs and install it all at once along with new plumbing. But all that will run you say, $50,000 to do at a minimum.

It really depends on what you start with, and what you want to end with, but I have seen it all come in at less than $5k. It can easily go up to $50k, but that is not the minimum. I also question why you want all new plumbing?

House flippers do this all the time. If it were $50k minimum, they would never make a profit.

The problem for most people is they don't have anywhere near the money available to do that.

Owning a house costs money. If you do not have the money to maintain the house, maybe you should rent instead. The landlord will take care of replacing the roof, replacing the furnace, and on and on.

We are talking about bringing the house up to date for 50 years ago. There has been several decades to do this.

Most homes don't have a 200 amp circuit breaker.. That is what's needed to charge an electric car and run your household.

Nope. If you chose to buy a level 2 charger, you get an 800-buck break from the electric company. They provide a list of vendors they suggest. They also get you a better price on the new chargers. Installation is around 700 bucks.

Nope. If you chose to buy a level 2 charger, you get an 800-buck break from the electric company. They provide a list of vendors they suggest. They also get you a better price on the new chargers. Installation is around 700 bucks.

Again, why waste the money when I won't be buying an electric car?

Again, why waste the money when I won't be buying an electric car?

Maybe not a charger, but you claim your house has 50+ year old wiring... You might want to update that to make your house sellable, to prevent electrical fires, and to be able to fully use modern appliances. Do you even have three prong outlets?

Back