Reality check on electric cars

As for me, I drive a Subaru Forester (I've been driving and fixing Subarus so long I know more about them than Subaru does!), and a Ford F150 which I use to haul heavy equipment and material (using trailers). That one uses the 5.4 Triton 3v engine. Then, of course, I have a John Deere 1025r tractor, but it's not designed for the road of course.

All gasoline or diesel fueled.

I drive my Forester as my regular car. I'll be coming up by your way next summer with it for a convention there. An EV car is too slow to recharge on a trip like that.
The Ford has to haul equipment and material up to 3 tons for over 100 miles each way (200 miles total). And EV truck can't do that.
I can do a hell of a lot of work with that tractor. It has to work all day. An EV tractor can't do that.

Too bad he's embarrassed about his car.
Solid choices! :)

I've looked at Subarus before, and know them to be reliable vehicles, but never did get one. I looked at Outbacks in particular. F150s are good trucks. My dad had a Dodge Ram 1500 back in the day. Those are good trucks too, but they seem more prone to rusting, especially in the wheel well area, and especially here in Wisconsin where we salt the heck out of our roads during Winter.

My Toyota has been a fairly reliable vehicle thus far, and still has a lot of life left in it (only ~130k miles). I like it for its versatility and for its ability to get through snow. My Lincoln I like for its size, comfort, smooth riding, trunk space, and the V8 it has under the hood.

Solid choices! :)

I've looked at Subarus before, and know them to be reliable vehicles, but never did get one. I looked at Outbacks in particular. F150s are good trucks. My dad had a Dodge Ram 1500 back in the day. Those are good trucks too, but they seem more prone to rusting, especially in the wheel well area, and especially here in Wisconsin where we salt the heck out of our roads during Winter.

My Toyota has been a fairly reliable vehicle thus far, and still has a lot of life left in it (only ~130k miles). I like it for its versatility and for its ability to get through snow. My Lincoln I like for its size, comfort, smooth riding, trunk space, and the V8 it has under the hood.

The Toyota RAV4 is a good car. Did you get the 2.5 or 3.6 engine? The larger engine allows that car to tow one ton. The smaller engine can only do 3/4 ton.
Nothin' like that smooth running V8!

Rust is always a problem with all cars in areas that salt the roads like that. With Teslas and other EV's, that salt will set up a battery corrosion and eventual fire.

We use sand here. It's effectively waste product from the quarry anyway and it's very effective without seriously harming the car.

The Toyota RAV4 is a good car. Did you get the 2.5 or 3.6 engine? The larger engine allows that car to tow one ton. The smaller engine can only do 3/4 ton.
Nothin' like that smooth running V8!
I would've preferred the larger engine to be honest, but the one I found back in 2014 that had a good history of proper maintenance, no major accidents, and etc ended up having the smaller 2.5L engine in it. It suits my needs though, as I use it for commuting and winter driving, and I don't need the additional towing capacity.

The other thing that I like about this particular Rav4 is that, since it is a 2011 model, it still has an older body style which puts a full-size spare tire on the outside of the back door (instead of a donut spare tire under the cargo space in back). That full-size spare tire has definitely come in handy over the years! Another benefit of that particular body design is the additional storage space that one gets underneath the cargo space (which is now filled with a stupid donut tire). I also like the fact that the back door opens to the side instead of upward (no hitting my head on the door like I do with my dad's 2013 Rav4 that has the newer imo shittier body style).

The Lincoln Town Car I've always liked because the very first vehicle I ever drove (and drove to high school and tech college) was essentially that (a Mercury Grand Marquis). I like how roomy they are and how long they are, and you'd be surprised how much can fit inside of their trunks. My family has hauled A LOT of firewood in the trunk of that old Grand Marquis, which is now going to get retired due to how rusted and broken down it is (not worth fixing up), so maybe my Lincoln will have to fill those shoes now unless my dad finds an old beater truck somewhere. One would prefer to have a truck (or even a truck & trailer) for that sort of stuff, but when we go on a weekly basis to the location that we collect firewood from, it works out just fine to haul a trunkload of wood here and a trunkload of wood there. It adds up over time. --- We've always been a "make due with what ya got" / "find a way to make it work" bunch of people.

Rust is always a problem with all cars in areas that salt the roads like that. With Teslas and other EV's, that salt will set up a battery corrosion and eventual fire.

We use sand here. It's effectively waste product from the quarry anyway and it's very effective without seriously harming the car.
Right, and that's another reason why I do not want to buy any sort of electric vehicle. We do use a bit of sand here as well, but mostly salt gets used...

His myopia is really astounding. He figures everyone barely uses their car like he does. He also completely ignores what is on the road and why. He's literally in his own little universe and figures that everyone is just like him.
Yup. I find that people like him are very hive minded... He thinks, says, and does whatever the "queen bee" thinks, says, and does. He effectively has no mind of his own, and conversing with anyone outside of his own hive results in several syntax errors.

Can you imagine a Tesla doing off road mudding? Or competing in the Baja race? Or pulling a stump? Or hauling a significant trailer (it can't!)?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: now THAT'S a funny thought!

He's also completely forgetting that to charge his precious car that he's too embarrassed to talk about, he's using energy from quite probably a coal fired power plant or a nuke if he's anywhere in the midwest or mountain regions, or an oil fired plant if he's on the east coast. If he's in the SODC, he can't charge his car reliably, even when he's asleep.

Hmmmm. Maybe I do understand why he's embarrassed to talk about his car!
I think you do! --- These twits never wish to talk about where electricity comes from nor what is required in order to produce it at a level that can keep up with the demand for it.

Consumer reports said they last more than 200,000 miles.
Okay, let's assume that this is true, even though you have no idea for yourself.

That is over 17 years at 12K a year.
A few questions for you...

[1] Does the battery pack also last that long?
[2] How much does it cost to replace the battery pack?
[3] Are you willing to pay that much to replace the battery pack?
[4] Will the vehicle really be "lasting over 17 years" for that person if he is unwilling to pay to replace the battery pack?

How do you know? You haven't driven your EV 200,000 miles! You barely drive the thing at all!

Can you read? Consumer Fucking Reports did the study. There is a lot of info because EVs have been around for quite a while and they are getting better ,longer battery life and faster charging are part of the end product.

Can you read?
Can you answer my questions? Here they are again, or does Into The Night need to answer them all for you? I know that he's capable of doing it...

[4] Will the vehicle really be "lasting over 17 years" for that person if he is unwilling to pay to replace the battery pack?

Consumer Fucking Reports did the study.
Meh.

There is a lot of info because EVs have been around for quite a while and they are getting better ,longer battery life and faster charging are part of the end product.
You can only safely charge a battery so fast. Charging batteries "super fast" reduces their lifespan, which returns us to the questions that I asked you (and have now asked you again here).

Okay, let's assume that this is true, even though you have no idea for yourself.

A few questions for you...

The batteries will degrade even if they aren't being used. While they don't salt out like a dry cell left in a radio too long, they do degrade. Just sitting there, they lose their ability to hold a charge.

Can you read? Consumer Fucking Reports did the study. There is a lot of info because EVs have been around for quite a while and they are getting better ,longer battery life and faster charging are part of the end product.

There is no such study. The lithium-oxide battery has not changed at all. They are still lithium-oxide batteries.

010_jpg-2627823-jpg.1146447

Why Switzerland wants to ban electric vehicles

The batteries will degrade even if they aren't being used. While they don't salt out like a dry cell left in a radio too long, they do degrade. Just sitting there, they lose their ability to hold a charge.

Yeah, in over 200,000 miles. That is 17 years at 12k a year. ICEs do not last that long. They are warranted for far, far fewer miles. They need a lot more maintenance and repair.They use expensive gas and oil. They pollute.

Back