Reality check on electric cars

Until you realize that given you are a family or person that has just ONE vehicle and an EV won't work for you 10 to 20% of the time. That means it's the wrong vehicle for you. Doesn't matter that it works the other 80 to 90% of the time, you have to use it 100% of the time and it doesn't work some of the time. Thus, forcing people into EV's won't work.

Terry pickup trucks do not work 100% of the time. Convertibles do not work 100% of the time. Sports cars do not work 100% of the time.

No ICE vehicle worked 100% of the time when they were still newer to market.

You have such irrational hate you just cannot stop being stupid.

A thing is not of no value because it does not work 100% of the time and yet you idiots keep pushing this argument.

I have never advocated forcing everyone in an EV. You can buy a early 1900's EV today and you can buy an early 1900's ICE today, and you can buy both new. The market has always had choices and certainly will until EV technology improves such that they can go everywhere (cold weather, etc) that an ICE vehicle can. As those technology issues are solved the reason you will see ICE become novelty cars will be Insurance and other costs. not government.

No i can speak for most people,
Nope. You can't speak for anyone but yourself.

since the data
What "the data"? You haven't provided any. You haven't directed me towards any. You're just claiming that this mysterious "the data" "exists" "out there" "somewhere".

shows MOST PEOPLE's daily driving patterns and averages.
You are only describing one specific manner in which people use their vehicles. There are numerous other manners, most of which EVs perform rather poorly or are incapable of performing at all.

You try to speak for most people when you say EV do not fit most, but you are simply wrong. You can only speak for yourself.
Individuals can speak for themselves on the matter, but the truth is that EVs are not a practical option for most people. I've already explained why that is.

Last edited:
Amd again you are just stupid.
Your issue, not mine.

EV's work for the bulk of driving most people do.
... and EV's DO NOT work for the remainder of driving that most people do, ergo EVs are NOT a practical option for most people. Vehicles are used for more than just driving 20 miles to work and 20 miles back home.

Pickup trucks do not work in numerous cases for lots of people.
Pickup trucks work in pretty much any case, but in a number of cases their additional capabilities aren't required. E.g., city slickers typically have no need for the hauling/towing capabilities.

Convertibles do not work in numerous cases for lots of people. Sedans do not work in numerous cases for lots of people.
Right. Maybe someone has a larger family (and/or takes grandchildren along places) (and/or hauls many bags of chicken feed/care products at one time from the feed store) so that person needs a minivan in order to suit their needs.

That is WHY they make different vehicles for DIFFERENT people and DIFFERENT uses.
Right. And that's why you hardly see any EVs on the road anywhere. They only suit the needs of a small niche of people. They're expensive as all heck compared to ICE equivalents. They don't function very well (if at all) in harsh Winter climates. Maybe you see more of them in your warmer big city neck of the woods, but in the southern Wisconsin area, there's hardly any of them to be seen anywhere.

You say 'aha but EV's do not work for X' as if that has meaning. You think it has meaning as you are stupid.
It DOES have meaning when it is something that is applicable to most people. That's why most people do NOT own EVs.

I did not say it was "all". Are you so stupid you cannot read. What i said was that it was the vast, VAST majority of the majority of the populace driving.

That is true and that is fact.
Most people do more with their vehicles than just commuting, so most people need their vehicles to be able to function beyond short commutes to and from work each week day, so most people's needs are NOT met via EVs, ergo why most people do NOT own EVs.

Until you realize that given you are a family or person that has just ONE vehicle and an EV won't work for you 10 to 20% of the time. That means it's the wrong vehicle for you. Doesn't matter that it works the other 80 to 90% of the time, you have to use it 100% of the time and it doesn't work some of the time. Thus, forcing people into EV's won't work.

Bingo. Obviously YOU "get it".

I have to get to work and back every single day, even in harsh Winter conditions. An ICE vehicle can serve that purpose for me; an EV can't. I sometimes take longer trips that can amount to hundreds of miles, needing to quickly refuel and quickly continue on my way again. An ICE vehicle can serve that purpose for me; an EV can't.

Last edited:
Amd again you are just stupid.

EV's work for the bulk of driving most people do.

Pickup trucks do not work in numerous cases for lots of people. Convertibles do not work in numerous cases for lots of people. Sedans do not work in numerous cases for lots of people.

That is WHY they make different vehicles for DIFFERENT people and DIFFERENT uses.

You say 'aha but EV's do not work for X' as if that has meaning. You think it has meaning as you are stupid.

EV's have too much metal to haul around to meet NHSTA (:o That was right!) standards, the batteries are heavy AF, and any heat or AC has to run off of that battery, too.

It's not really a viable idea at this point in time.

Nope. You can't speak for anyone but yourself.

What "the data"? You haven't provided any. You haven't directed me towards any. You're just claiming that this mysterious "the data" "exists" "out there" "somewhere".

You are only describing one specific manner in which people use their vehicles. There are numerous other manners, most of which EVs perform rather poorly or are incapable of performing at all.

Individuals can speak for themselves on the matter, but the truth is that EVs are not a practical option for most people. I've already explained why that is.

No i can speak for others using the Stats I already provided prior, and again a portion below, because i am speaking to data and facts.

It is you who cannot speak for others, as you try to, as you only offer your feelings.

Quick Facts About Average Mileage Per Year
The average miles driven per year is 13,489 in 2021, up 765 miles from the figure for 2020, but it’s still less than pre-pandemic car mileage per year.
The average driver in the U.S. drives 37 miles per day, according to Department of Transportation statistics.

Last edited:
Your issue, not mine.

... and EV's DO NOT work for the remainder of driving that most people do, ergo EVs are NOT a practical option for most people. Vehicles are used for more than just driving 20 miles to work and 20 miles back home.

Pickup trucks work in pretty much any case, but in a number of cases their additional capabilities aren't required. E.g., city slickers typically have no need for the hauling/towing capabilities.

Right. Maybe someone has a larger family (and/or takes grandchildren along places) (and/or hauls many bags of chicken feed/care products at one time from the feed store) so that person needs a minivan in order to suit their needs.

Right. And that's why you hardly see any EVs on the road anywhere. They only suit the needs of a small niche of people. They're expensive as all heck compared to ICE equivalents. They don't function very well (if at all) in harsh Winter climates. Maybe you see more of them in your warmer big city neck of the woods, but in the southern Wisconsin area, there's hardly any of them to be seen anywhere.

It DOES have meaning when it is something that is applicable to most people. That's why most people do NOT own EVs.

Your stupidity is your issue. You, like Marjorie Greene are just too stupid to understand why.

An EV does not have to work for the "remainder" to be good for the vast, vast majority of people.

Again this is the same myth Terry spins which if not good for all then they are not good.

Pickups are not good for all. They cannot be parked easily and in some cases at all in city downtown areas. They cost wayyyyy more than a sedan if you want comparable comfort to sedan for a family of 4 or more. They burn way more gasoline. Very impractical for many, many people thus by your logic not good at all. Same for sports cars and convertibles.

Most people do not own EV's because only 1 car company was really offering any broad choice in what you could buy. As more car companies offer more choice what you see is a mass of people continually moving into EV's.

I can't believe i'm having this discussion with such an ignoramous. Coal may contain a host of impurities but it's primary make-up is hydrocarbons. Why the fuck do you think it burns.

hydrocarbon.asp_final-4a8fcbfb937c4784bd629adb0449077f.png
Ever heard of a steam engine?

Most people do more with their vehicles than just commuting, so most people need their vehicles to be able to function beyond short commutes to and from work each week day, so most people's needs are NOT met via EVs, ergo why most people do NOT own EVs.

But commuting is their biggest need by FAR. So most people get great benefit from EV's.

Outside commuting EV's are still great for most of the remaining needs. it is really only a tiny number of long road trips across mostly rural State areas where EV's are not ideal and that is such a tiny number of trips to be near meaningless and those people who do them should not buy an EV. Other super cold weather States are really the only other issue for the current technology. Again a tiny percent of all drivers who should just buy something else.

And again most people do not drive EV's as most manufacturers are only in the early part of their adoption curve and had very few EV offerings.

No i can speak for others using the Stats I already provided prior,
You haven't provided any stats. You've just made shit up.

and again a portion below, because i am speaking to data and facts.

It is you who cannot speak for others, as you try to, as you only offer your feelings.
Average miles driven per day is only part of the story. Even if EVs can cover 80-90% of a person's needs, it is the other 10-20% of a person's needs that still have to be accounted for, and if EVs can't serve those needs, then EVs are impractical for that person. Period.

Of course, if you are a rich son-na-bitch, you can purchase multiple vehicles and use the EV for commuting purposes and very occasionally the other vehicle for the rest of your purposes, but there's plenty of people who can't afford or don't have the space for multiple vehicles or just plain don't want to own multiple vehicles (that means higher insurance costs, etc).

You haven't provided any stats. You've just made shit up.

Average miles driven per day is only part of the story. Even if EVs can cover 80-90% of a person's needs, it is the other 10-20% of a person's needs that still have to be accounted for, and if EVs can't serve those needs, then EVs are impractical for that person. Period.

Of course, if you are a rich son-na-bitch, you can purchase multiple vehicles and use the EV for commuting purposes and very occasionally the other vehicle for the rest of your purposes, but there's plenty of people who can't afford or don't have the space for multiple vehicles or just plain don't want to own multiple vehicles (that means higher insurance costs, etc).

False...i have provided stats and data and you have just made shit up.

People make buying decisions largely based on the BULK of their driving needs. I have had need for a Pick up truck or SUV or mini van on some occasions, but that small need does not force me to buy one when using it for the 80% of my driving would be impractical.

We balance our needs and realize a vehicle DOES NOT have to cover all needs 100%.

Pickup trucks, Mini vans, and SUVs are not impractical for those who need them, even if 20% of the time they are not as good as a sedan or other option.

You just have a brain addled way of thinking of things like Terry where your entire argument is trying to point at where EV's are not ideal as a way to say they are not good options.

There is a reason why, even pre EV there are so many different types of vehicles and not just one. Because no one is ideal for everyone and their needs. Different people have differing driving needs and EV's fit in perfectly for one of the biggest one, the most people do. The Home/work/errands around town, and the few hours weekend getaway. It is only a tiny percent of people who have needs beyond that.

But commuting is their biggest need by FAR. So most people get great benefit from EV's.

Outside commuting EV's are still great for most of the remaining needs. it is really only a tiny number of long road trips across mostly rural State areas where EV's are not ideal and that is such a tiny number of trips to be near meaningless and those people who do them should not buy an EV. Other super cold weather States are really the only other issue for the current technology. Again a tiny percent of all drivers who should just buy something else.

And again most people do not drive EV's as most manufacturers are only in the early part of their adoption curve and had very few EV offerings.

Norway, which is not exactly balmy has adopted EVs bigly. my son and I drive electrics in Michigan. Cold weather is not a problem. Michigan is working on roads that will recharge EVs as they drive over them.

Explain what you think are the trips that the average family or person in the USA would struggle to make with an EV today that is not on an extreme cold weather day, ...or not doing 5 hour or more hours drive across mostly rural areas?

Explain what percent of their driving in a year you think that drive above would constitute?

Norway, which is not exactly balmy has adopted EVs bigly. my son and I drive electrics in Michigan. Cold weather is not a problem. Michigan is working on roads that will recharge EVs as they drive over them.

Sure. FOr sake of argument, since battery life (hours use) does decline, i am choosing to not argue that even though you are correct, and it is not that they are not useable, they are just less then optimal in that circumstance.

One whole side of my family lives in Canada, and some of them the coldest parts, and yet you still see no shortage of EV's up there.

I am trying to get gfm to focus, on the areas where it is ideal and the typical drive it is ideal for which suits the vast majority of the population.

he seems to have imagined a world where an average family can own an EV SUV, use it daily for work, school, errands, but they have this outside life driving in ways an EV just fails at and i want him to explain what those trips look like in his mind. I am quite certain he will dodge and avoid just answering that question as he knows he is wrong, and stupid.

There would be only a tiny amount of city living people who could not use an EV for 100% of their normal driving. Maybe once every few years they are going to do a road trip across Utah and for that they can use their gas savings and just rent another vehicle to pile the miles on.

Back