Reality check on electric cars

I think the big thing that has happened beside people deciding that the toy cars are not very good is that people are coming around to the opinion that climate alarmism is a fraud perpetrated by our abusers and that they are not willing to suffer based upon its programs...such as EV's.

"Surely they would not lie to us about that" evaporated with our being abused on the grounds of COVID.....that was the final big lie that caused people to begin to awaken from their slumbers.

I live in Michigan and my Volt and my son's Bolt have started every time. We do not listen to batteries grinding and fighting to start like ICEs.
The Volt is an ICE. It burns gasoline. The Bolt doesn't start. It's an EV.
Cold weather reduces the range of an EV severely and requires more time to charge it. If it's cold enough, the battery simply won't accept a charge.
You are as dishonest as can be in your posting.
You are describing yourself again, Sock.
We have a plethora of right wing posters who relentlessly post lies and think they are winning.
You are describing yourself again, Sock.
Before EVs hit the assembly line they were tested in extremely hot and extremely cold conditions.
No, they weren't.
Try being honest, it will not be painful,
Take your own advice, Sock.

Your stupidity is amazing Lyingfish. Evs are better than ICEs now and they and the infrastructure are improving by day. I feel sad that you are an old stick in the mud that clings to bad ideas because you cannot process change nor understand EVs are better.

The market disagrees with you.

Less than 1% of the cars on the road are EVs. The EV market is crashing.
The Luddite is YOU, Sock. You would rather stick to 1980's technology rather than use modern FADEC cars because you actually think you are 'saving the planet'. :laugh:

That of course is absolutely wrong. You are maintaining your record of knowing nothing about the subject you chose to intrude on. You save 5 K over the lifetime use of an EV, These are maintenance costs. It does not address the personal time taking care of an ICE requires. https://www.chase.com/personal/auto/education/maintenance/electric-car-maintenance

Why is that wrong? They don't need tires? Battery heating and cooling system checks? Brakes and fluid changes? Wheel bearings? And typical lighting, wipers, etc?
Yes, there are fewer moving parts, but those parts need periodic maintenance also. And the cost of that maintenance is higher because they require it dealerships.

Why is that wrong? They don't need tires? Battery heating and cooling system checks? Brakes and fluid changes? Wheel bearings? And typical lighting, wipers, etc?
Yes, there are fewer moving parts, but those parts need periodic maintenance also. And the cost of that maintenance is higher because they require it dealerships.

They do not need oil filters. They do not need transmission fluid. They do not need oil changes. They do not need tuneups. They do not need mufflers and exhaust systems. https://www.fuelsfix.com/2023/06/wh...Rad84ABbZ5GHxLDABAK7_KkEhruoiUYxoCu8IQAvD_BwE No sparkplugs to change.

Last edited:
They do not need oil filters. They do not need transmission fluid. They do not need oil changes. They do not need tuneups. They do not need mufflers and exhaust systems. https://www.fuelsfix.com/2023/06/wh...Rad84ABbZ5GHxLDABAK7_KkEhruoiUYxoCu8IQAvD_BwE

EVs have oil filters (because they use oil).
EVs have transmission fluid (because they use fixed transmissions).
EVs DO need oil changes any time the motor unit is serviced.
No car built today needs tuneups. Internal combustion engines today are FADEC and self tuning. Electric motors can be tuned for only one direction of rotation and it's fixed at one speed. At speeds outside of the fixed range of tuning, it's wasting power. While in reverse, the motor is WAY out of tune, which is why they whine when backing an EV out of a driveway.

EVs have mufflers and exhaust systems, just not on the car itself. It's at the power plant you depend on for charging the car.

EVs are also much more expensive. Your 'savings' does not pay for the extra price of the car or it's insurance.
EVs use almost twice the energy to move the same distance. Most is lost due to waste heat while charging the car.
EVs take too long to recharge and have limited range. Refueling a gasoline car takes just a few minutes, giving the car effectively unlimited range.

EVs do NOT 'save the planet'. The planet does not need 'saving'. It's quite bit enough to take care of itself. We're a fly on an elephant's arse, trying to tell the elephant where to go.

Last edited:

Have you noticed that EV proponents here are proud of the fact that they don't properly maintain their cars?

Now there are people, and not just in the US, worried that the Chinese will flood the car market with cheap EV's that are government mandated forcing people into one. The worry is that the car will use the usual software they come with today to report all sorts of data on you to the Chinese government...

I live in Michigan
... which probably has been a rather mild winter this year seeing as us Wisconsinites, once again, have been having a rather mild winter.

and my Volt and my son's Bolt have started every time.
Your Volt is a "hybrid" (essentially an overweight ICE vehicle). I can see why ITN doesn't even bother with the 'hybrid' label and just refers to such vehicles as ICE vehicles.

Your son's Bolt is an "EV". It'll have issues with starting in conditions such as what Shitcago saw during a small stretch of this winter season.

We do not listen to batteries grinding and fighting to start like ICEs.
My ICEs had no issues starting this winter, even with the one having an aging battery that should get replaced this year.

You are as dishonest as can be in your posting. We have a plethora of right wing posters who relentlessly post lies and think they are winning. Before EVs hit the assembly line they were tested in extremely hot and extremely cold conditions. Try being honest, it will not be painful,
The dishonesty belongs to you. Tell that to all the Shitcago residents who had EVs that didn't start due to the cold conditions.

They do not need oil filters. They do not need transmission fluid. They do not need oil changes. They do not need tuneups. They do not need mufflers and exhaust systems. https://www.fuelsfix.com/2023/06/wh...Rad84ABbZ5GHxLDABAK7_KkEhruoiUYxoCu8IQAvD_BwE No sparkplugs to change.

Tune-ups and plugs last 100,000 miles of late. They burn through tires much faster because of their excess weight. It takes hours to charge them when I can fuel my car in minutes and drive off. You can have your EV.

Now there are people, and not just in the US, worried that the Chinese will flood the car market with cheap EV's that are government mandated forcing people into one. The worry is that the car will use the usual software they come with today to report all sorts of data on you to the Chinese government...

Considering that the Chinese can't even get away with mandating the things to their own citizens, THAT's gonna work...yeah. :D

... which probably has been a rather mild winter this year seeing as us Wisconsinites, once again, have been having a rather mild winter.

Your Volt is a "hybrid" (essentially an overweight ICE vehicle). I can see why ITN doesn't even bother with the 'hybrid' label and just refers to such vehicles as ICE vehicles.

Your son's Bolt is an "EV". It'll have issues with starting in conditions such as what Shitcago saw during a small stretch of this winter season.

My ICEs had no issues starting this winter, even with the one having an aging battery that should get replaced this year.

The dishonesty belongs to you. Tell that to all the Shitcago residents who had EVs that didn't start due to the cold conditions.

Lead acid batteries work well for about five years. Then they should be replaced or cleaned.
The problem is the lead sulfates that build up in the bottom of the battery box. Room in the battery box is allowed for this to a certain extent, but when it touches the plates, the battery will no longer hold a charge. Lead sulfate is a salt.

It IS possible to take out the battery, dump out the electrolyte in it, wash the lead sulfate salts out of the bottom of the box (they are somewhat water soluble), make a new solution of sulfuric acid and refill the battery, and you can get a couple more years out of it. The other damage, of course, is the same as a Li-ion battery, which is distortion of the plates during the recharge cycle.

Most folks just buy a new battery rather than fuss with it. The old battery is completely recyclable. The battery box is ground up and is made into recycled plastic pellets, which are used to make a new battery box, the lead is melted down and new plates are made from it. The only thing that isn't is the sulfuric acid electrolyte. You just dump it out. The alkaline environment generally does the rest, diluting and neutralizing it. Battery recyclers generally add baking soda to the electrolyte before releasing it into the environment, converting the sulfuric acid to a harmless salt (sodium sulfate) and a harmless gas (CO2) and water.

Last edited:
Lead acid batteries work well for about five years. Then they should be replaced or cleaned.
The problem is the lead sulfates that build up in the bottom of the battery box. Room in the battery box is allowed for this to a certain extent, but when it touches the plates, the battery will no longer hold a charge. Lead sulfate is a salt.

It IS possible to take out the battery, dump out the electrolyte in it, wash the lead sulfate salts out of the bottom of the box (they are somewhat water soluble), make a new solution of sulfuric acid and refill the battery, and you can get a couple more years out of it. The other damage, of course, is the same as a Li-ion battery, which is distortion of the plates during the recharge cycle.

Most folks just buy a new battery rather than fuss with it. The old battery is completely recyclable. The battery box is ground up and is made into recycled plastic pellets, which are used to make a new battery box, the lead is melted down and new plates are made from it. The only thing that isn't is the sulfuric acid electrolyte. You just dump it out. The alkaline environment generally does the rest, diluting and neutralizing it. Battery recyclers generally add baking soda to the electrolyte before releasing it into the environment, converting the sulfuric acid to a harmless salt (sodium sulfate) and a harmless gas (CO2) and water.
Sounds quite "environmentally friendly" to me. :)

Five years sounds about right. The one that I'm currently using in my small SUV is just over 6 years old (it will be 7 years old at the end of this year, but I plan on replacing it a bit before then to prep for next winter).

The battery in my other car is only maybe half the age of this one, if that (I don't remember the exact age of it though), and re: winter I only drive that car during the periods of winter in which the roads are in pristine condition (seeing as that car is a rear wheel drive large sedan and I don't wish to mess with adding weight to the trunk when it's easier to just drive my "all wheel drive" SUV during such conditions as that vehicle is so much better at handling them). This winter was rather mild though, so I actually drove my large sedan a fair bit this winter.

I enjoy being able to replace a battery for ~$150 (give or take) instead of having to pay more than I paid for my entire "certified used" RAV4 back in like 2015 or whenever.

Last edited:
Back