Reality check on electric cars

Gas stations work on electricity. When it goes out, they close.

If they do, I have a full 5 gal. and a 2.5 gal. cans of gasoline in my garage. If the power goes out an lengthy
amount of time, I can still drive (at 26 MPG) 195 miles if needed. How far can you drive in your electric lead sled?

nordie, I have been alive for many decades. Only once was there a power outage that affected gas stations in the city. When a squirrel takes out a transformer, yes it will take out the grid for a few blocks.
When I was a kid the load lever to a transformer was less than 20 feet off the ground. We changed that by overloading the system until the sky turned purple as the transformer blew. A lot of my childhood friends are dead because they did a reality check on our electric grid.

If they do, I have a full 5 gal. and a 2.5 gal. cans of gasoline in my garage. If the power goes out an lengthy
amount of time, I can still drive (at 26 MPG) 195 miles if needed. How far can you drive in your electric lead sled?

200 miles. Some get over 300. The range gets longer and longer for every model and charging times get shorter. Hybrids are the perfect answer for ICE idiots.

200 miles.
Wimpy. An that only if it's fully charged to begin with, and only at temperatures well above freezing, and only if you aren't using any other appliance on the vehicle such as lights, fans, heating systems, etc.
Some get over 300.
Wimpy. You somehow think this is a decent range. At the end of which, of course, you have a dead car that takes hours to recharge fully.
The range gets longer and longer for every model and charging times get shorter.
Blatant lie. The only way to increase range is to use a larger battery, adding to useless weight of the car. Add enough, and you will have no payload left or a useful range since you have to haul that battery around.
Hybrids are the perfect answer for ICE idiots.
Hybrids are a gasoline car...an ICE vehicle, idiot.

When I was a kid the load lever to a transformer was less than 20 feet off the ground. We changed that by overloading the system until the sky turned purple as the transformer blew. A lot of my childhood friends are dead because they did a reality check on our electric grid.

What's a 'load lever'? Why would one overload a transformer?

200 miles. Some get over 300. The range gets longer and longer for every model and charging times get shorter. Hybrids are the perfect answer for ICE idiots.

Yep. On a full charge. Where do you charge in a power outage? Hybrids have an ICE, do they not?

Yep. On a full charge. Where do you charge in a power outage? Hybrids have an ICE, do they not?

Yep. They have an ICE. They start with electricity. If you run out of charge, the ICE propels the EV drive. Everywhere you go, you start with electricity, and that takes care of almost all trips. Sometimes that car starts in ICE because the gas has been in your tank so long, it may go bad.

Yep. They have an ICE. They start with electricity. If you run out of charge, the ICE propels the EV drive. Everywhere you go, you start with electricity, and that takes care of almost all trips. Sometimes that car starts in ICE because the gas has been in your tank so long, it may go bad.

You want your EV? Fine. Just don't force me to buy one, and the government shouldn't subsidize them.

A hybrid is not an EV. It is an ICE vehicle.

What's a 'load lever'? Why would one overload a transformer?

I suspect he meant the fusible link in overhead power lines like this:

FusesPowerlines-600.jpg

I suspect he meant the fusible link in overhead power lines like this:

FusesPowerlines-600.jpg

I have no idea what he means. Fusible links like this are not exposed only 20 feet above the ground, and they don't load the transformer and they are not loads nor a lever. They're fuses. Grabbing one means touching 7.2kv! Gotta use a hot pole to change these!

Pad mounted transformers typically use a bayonet type of fuse cartridge (located behind the locked door). They are not loading the transformer either.

These are not just simple fusible links either. They are designed to pull the conductors apart and quench the arc quickly (often using a gas that is discharged) when they blow. That's why they sound like a gunshot when they blow.

Obviously these are not 'load levers' or anything of the sort.

Last edited:
Do you understand an incident does not prove the case? Someone does not like EVs and may have had a bad experience. Therefore EVs are bad and no one should have them. Charged it in under half an hour.

Wrong nordie. I want you to drive a golf cart. That way we can point and laugh.

Wow liberals sure SUUUUUUUCK at following along with a conversation.

When RB 60 mentioned "195 miles", he was referring specifically to the 7.5 gallons of gas in his gas cans, not to any gas that happened to be in his vehicle at the time. I'm not aware of any such thing as "electricity cans" for EV's, so if my math is correct, 195 miles > 0 miles.

Additionally, if he happened to have 10 gallons of gas left inside his vehicle, that's 260 miles of driving plus the 195 miles that he'd get from his gas cans (or 455 miles of driving in total).

A sales pitch about something that doesn't exist today is irrelevant, and "hybrids" effectively ARE ICE vehicles, Nordy. They just happen to have some additional unnecessary weight bogging them down.

Regarding "200 miles"... a Chevy Bolt has an advertised range of roughly 250 miles. That number is with regard to various ideal conditions and a full charge. Some lefty on this forum (it might've been you) was happy to "inform" me that EV's are recommended to only be charged up to 80%. That means a smaller "fuel tank" with only a 200 mile range under various ideal conditions. You want to turn on your AC? Uh oh... less range. You want to turn on your heat? Uh oh... less range. It's hot or cold outside? Uh oh... less range. Windy outside? Uh oh... less range. Pretty soon, you only have an effective range of roughly 100 miles.

Regarding "gas cans" (and "electricity cans")... An ICE vehicle can bring along gas cans. So, if I can get 260 miles on 10 gallons of gas, and I can bring 10 gallons of gas along with me in gas cans, then I have 520 miles of range given the 10 gallons of gas already in my vehicle and the 10 gallons that I'm bringing along with me. An EV, on the other hand, cannot bring along "electricity cans". Thus, if there is 100 miles of range left in the EV, then that's all as far as the EV is gonna go. There's no "dumping more electricity into the tank" to make it go another hundred miles. It's completely done for. 520 > 100.

Last edited:
Back