Reality check on electric cars

Here’s why tire companies love EVs
The tire business is a business of low growth, low margins and extreme competition. Tire makers are at the mercy of of raw material prices. And about half of customers are largely indifferent to the brand of tires they buy. Price is the main differentiator. But industry analysts say EVs provide tire makers with the biggest growth opportunity they have seen in decades. AlixPartners estimates that tires on EVs require 20 percent more frequent replacement and can cost 50 percent more.

180520-N-AO674-1007C.JPG

See that thing those shore power cables are in on the pier, there's two of them. Those are shore power cable cradles. They're 13' long, 5 feet wide, and have a railing 3" tall around them with two "modesty screens" on the sides. They're made completely of aluminum. I designed the first ones the Navy made, and then the shop I ran at the time was tasked with making 200 on a $750,000 contract. That was just for NOB 32nd St. San Diego.

The purpose of these is to allow storage of shore power cables so they won't get drug along the ground during movement from the utility yard to the ship or while on the pier. This is to prevent rubber from the jacket being rubbed off and going into the ocean.

Shows you how serious the environmental types are about this particulate pollution...

180520-N-AO674-1007C.JPG

See that thing those shore power cables are in on the pier, there's two of them. Those are shore power cable cradles. They're 13' long, 5 feet wide, and have a railing 3" tall around them with two "modesty screens" on the sides. They're made completely of aluminum. I designed the first ones the Navy made, and then the shop I ran at the time was tasked with making 200 on a $750,000 contract. That was just for NOB 32nd St. San Diego.

The purpose of these is to allow storage of shore power cables so they won't get drug along the ground during movement from the utility yard to the ship or while on the pier. This is to prevent rubber from the jacket being rubbed off and going into the ocean.

Shows you how serious the environmental types are about this particulate pollution...

Nice. The overhead image makes 'em look like ants with hardhats. :D Looks like quite the operation to load these cradles!

Here’s why tire companies love EVs
The tire business is a business of low growth, low margins and extreme competition. Tire makers are at the mercy of of raw material prices. And about half of customers are largely indifferent to the brand of tires they buy. Price is the main differentiator. But industry analysts say EVs provide tire makers with the biggest growth opportunity they have seen in decades. AlixPartners estimates that tires on EVs require 20 percent more frequent replacement and can cost 50 percent more.

Oil, change shops, muffler shops, transmission shops, and garages of all kinds love ICEs. Many overpowered ICEs burn tires off their cars. Walk through Target, O'Reilly or the corner auto parts stores and see what they take to stay on the road.

Oil, change shops, muffler shops, transmission shops, and garages of all kinds love ICEs. Many overpowered ICEs burn tires off their cars. Walk through Target, O'Reilly or the corner auto parts stores and see what they take to stay on the road.

Only select, high cost dealerships will work on EVs. None of those auto parts stores stock those expensive parts for EVs.

Thanks to your response, I am a bit closer to getting an M4.

Last edited:
Only select, high cost dealerships will work on EVs. None of those auto parts stores stock those expensive parts for EVs.
The auto repair shop by me lists on their website that they work on all sorts of vehicles (foreign, domestic, cars, trucks, and even "hybrids"). But for some reason (we both know the reason), they do not list EVs as a type of vehicle that they work on.

EVs use oil too, Sock. They also have transmissions. They have limited range. They can only be repaired or maintained in specially equipped shops (dealers). A minor accident can easily total the car.

ICE vehicles do NOT have a $25,000 battery that is also a significant fire hazard. You can buy a lot of oil changes and mufflers for that!
ICE vehicles do NOT have spend hours recharging either. They are lighter, more powerful, more maneuverable, and with an effective range of infinite since it only takes a few minutes to refuel them. You can repair and maintain them at home using fairly common tools.

They do not need all those parts. EVs have far, far fewer parts to go bad. No filters, air, or oil. No transmission fluids, since they do not have one.

There's nothing to adjust. There are millions more ICEs on the road than EVs. Period.

Oh so you are that stupid.

When you have a RATE, what it MEANS is if you had the same amount of EV's on the road as ICE, it would still be the same in terms of how many more ICE caught fire.

It means whether you have 1 million of each and ICE and EV or 1B of each ICE and EV, the ICE vehicle will have 20 times MORE fires than the EV.

I did not expect that idiot gfm to understand how basic math works, and now we know you do not either.

Oh so you are that stupid.

When you have a RATE, what it MEANS is if you had the same amount of EV's on the road as ICE, it would still be the same in terms of how many more ICE caught fire.

It means whether you have 1 million of each and ICE and EV or 1B of each ICE and EV, the ICE vehicle will have 20 times MORE fires than the EV.

I did not expect that idiot gfm to understand how basic math works, and now we know you do not either.

Stupid? You must be preposterous!

It's the law of averages, dumb fuck.

Stupid? You must be preposterous!

It's the law of averages, dumb fuck.

What are you even arguing you simpleton?

If for instance some generic cell phone broke down 20 times more than an Apple cell phone, that is good DATA to show which is more reliable.

You DO NOT counter that by saying 'ya but Apple has way more cell phones out their in the market'.

I understand math is hard and some people literally cannot be explained how it works. But the quantity of each is IRRELEVENT to the point.

In pure math terms X catches fire 20 times more than Y catches fire.

And in this example X is Ice vehicle and Y is EV's. So no matter what the total quantity of X or Y you plug in, the '20 times MORE' factor DOES NOT change.

Back