Reality check on electric cars

Uh, they are actual money going out of my bank account, if you are correct I should call my bank...

payments do not reflect bottom line dipshit, If all you are concerned about is the payment, you have no fucking clue what you are actually paying for the car or what you were allowed on your trade. People that justify their means by payments are the stupidest fucking people on the planet hence have to be led by a government that treats them like cattle. You are Morgan Freeman's character in Shawshank, so damn institutionalized, you can't piss without permission:laugh::laugh::laugh:

payments do not reflect bottom line dipshit, If all you are concerned about is the payment, you have no fucking clue what you are actually paying for the car or what you were allowed on your trade. People that justify their means by payments are the stupidest fucking people on the planet hence have to be led by a government that treats them like cattle. You are Morgan Freeman's character in Shawshank, so damn institutionalized, you can't piss without permission:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was never discussing bottom line. Dipshit!

REALITY CHECK: At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro Executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious "If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, you have to face certain realities."

"For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service.

You can recharge a Tesla with as little as 15 amp service; it's just slow. You'd get about 10 miles for every hour plugged in. So, if you charged it overnight while you slept for eight hours, you'd have 80 miles of range the next morning -- easily enough to handle a typical commute. At 50 amps (what you have for a typical electric oven), a Model S Tesla will charge about 34 miles worth for every hour it's plugged in, so just a couple hours charging would be enough to cover the next day's typical drive for most people.

The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs $46,000 plus.

The MSRP for a Bolt-EV is $31,500 (not counting whatever tax credits may be available, federal and state):

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-ev

The Leaf is even cheaper, at $28,425:

https://www.cars.com/articles/here-are-the-11-cheapest-electric-vehicles-you-can-buy-439849/

The advantage of buying electric, aside from doing your part to save the environment and not having to waste time at the gas station any more, isn't just the lower fuel cost. There's also lower maintenance cost and higher resale value. Because of those things, you generally will come out ahead when looked at from a five-year-cost-of-ownership perspective.

The advantage of buying electric, aside from doing your part to save the environment and not having to waste time at the gas station any more, isn't just the lower fuel cost. There's also lower maintenance cost and higher resale value. Because of those things, you generally will come out ahead when looked at from a five-year-cost-of-ownership perspective.

What if I don't give a shit about the environment in the way you mean it and believe it doesn't need "saving," particularly from anthropogenic CO2? For someone like me that drives my vehicles right into the ground and uses them hard, an EV is a stupid choice, aside from the fact that the selection of EV trucks is next to nil right now. I sure couldn't get by with a car, particularly an unreliable one like a Tesla.

What if I don't give a shit about the environment in the way you mean it and believe it doesn't need "saving," particularly from anthropogenic CO2?

Then, assuming it's because you're ignorant rather than sociopathic, I'd recommend reading more about the topic.

For someone like me that drives my vehicles right into the ground and uses them hard, an EV is a stupid choice

Why?

1653328441965-png.999915

You can recharge a Tesla with as little as 15 amp service; it's just slow. You'd get about 10 miles for every hour plugged in. So, if you charged it overnight while you slept for eight hours, you'd have 80 miles of range the next morning -- easily enough to handle a typical commute. At 50 amps (what you have for a typical electric oven), a Model S Tesla will charge about 34 miles worth for every hour it's plugged in, so just a couple hours charging would be enough to cover the next day's typical drive for most people.

The MSRP for a Bolt-EV is $31,500 (not counting whatever tax credits may be available, federal and state):

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/bolt-ev

The Leaf is even cheaper, at $28,425:

https://www.cars.com/articles/here-are-the-11-cheapest-electric-vehicles-you-can-buy-439849/

if they charge, I travel for my career, I have seen multiple teslas fail to charge overnight, they still have glitches

if they charge, I travel for my career, I have seen multiple teslas fail to charge overnight, they still have glitches

All cars have glitches. I've seen many, many gas-powered cars fail to start because of a bad battery, or some glitch in the starter, or an oil leak, or water in the gas tank, and so on. I don't know what the stats look like with electrics versus gas-powered vehicles, in those terms, but presumably whatever the comparison is today, it'll get better and better for the electrics over time, as those glitches get worked out.

All cars have glitches. I've seen many, many gas-powered cars fail to start because of a bad battery, or some glitch in the starter, or an oil leak, or water in the gas tank, and so on. I don't know what the stats look like with electrics versus gas-powered vehicles, in those terms, but presumably whatever the comparison is today, it'll get better and better for the electrics over time, as those glitches get worked out.

many new cars with less than a few thousand miles, me thinks you are full of shit

Feel free to share any studies indicating the relative failure rates of gas versus electric vehicles.

nice try, relatively new technology vs decades. Feel free to show us where all the costs of an EV are better than a combustion car for everyone (includes people that drive up to 500+ miles per day

nice try, relatively new technology vs decades.

The EV1 debuted in 1996 and the Tesla Roadster in 2008. So we've got a good quarter-century experience with modern electric cars, and 14 years of experience with the new generation of those. There have been at least 2 million electric vehicles on the road since about 2017, so there should be an ample sample size for five-year reliability data. If you have a study on that, feel free to link to it. Until then, we'd just be talking personal impressions, which doesn't have much value.

Feel free to show us where all the costs of an EV are better than a combustion car for everyone (includes people that drive up to 500+ miles per day

I don't expect EV cars are better for all consumers, any more than I expect any given car or technology is going to be better in every single situation. EV cars tend to be better for those who mostly just drive to work and back, with a total commute of 120 miles or less per day (well within the range of nearly all modern EV's). For them, EV's will save them time and money. If you're driving over 500 miles in a day, though, an EV is not yet a good choice, since there's only one EV with that kind of range and it's pricey.

EV cars are particularly good choices to be one car for a two-car family. That way, you generally have the spouse with the longer commute use the EV (which saves money), but then you have the other car for road trips or other situations where you expect to be away from charges for too many miles for an EV to be practical. That "complementary" approach to two-car families is something people are already used to in other ways (like maybe you only need one car with more than four seats, or only one truck, or one awd vehicle, and the other car can be about economy and fuel efficiency). EV's are going to be an expansion of that in coming years.

The EV1 debuted in 1996 and the Tesla Roadster in 2008. So we've got a good quarter-century experience with modern electric cars, and 14 years of experience with the new generation of those. There have been at least 2 million electric vehicles on the road since about 2017, so there should be an ample sample size for five-year reliability data. If you have a study on that, feel free to link to it. Until then, we'd just be talking personal impressions, which doesn't have much value.

I don't expect EV cars are better for all consumers, any more than I expect any given car or technology is going to be better in every single situation. EV cars tend to be better for those who mostly just drive to work and back, with a total commute of 120 miles or less per day (well within the range of nearly all modern EV's). For them, EV's will save them time and money. If you're driving over 500 miles in a day, though, an EV is not yet a good choice, since there's only one EV with that kind of range and it's pricey.

EV cars are particularly good choices to be one car for a two-car family. That way, you generally have the spouse with the longer commute use the EV (which saves money), but then you have the other car for road trips or other situations where you expect to be away from charges for too many miles for an EV to be practical. That "complementary" approach to two-car families is something people are already used to in other ways (like maybe you only need one car with more than four seats, or only one truck, or one awd vehicle, and the other car can be about economy and fuel efficiency). EV's are going to be an expansion of that in coming years.

yet the ROI still remains shitty and one becomes upside down in one the first of use

yet the ROI still remains shitty and one becomes upside down in one the first of use

Other than when it comes to some small number of collectibles, cars are not "investments" in the sense of something bought with the intent of later selling them for a profit. They're consumables -- something that you buy to use, with the idea that they'll be gradually less valuable over time as you wear them out. So, ROI isn't really a concept that works there. The real test is cost of ownership -- what are you paying, per year, for what you're getting? And at least when it comes to roughly comparable cars (e.g., Nissan Leaf versus Nissan Versa, or the EV versus gas version of the Mini Cooper), for most buyers the cost of ownership, measured over a five-year term, will be lower for the EV. That math can vary depending on how high gas prices are, how many miles you drive, and other factors, but at the averages, the EV's are cheaper.

Now, maybe for you it's different. Maybe you almost never drive anywhere, such that the gas and maintenance savings from an EV are lower for you relative to the initial cost premium, and you'd do better with a gas-powered vehicle (assuming you don't care about the environment). But for a lot of people, they're going to be the better purchase, just in terms of dollars and cents.

Other than when it comes to some small number of collectibles, cars are not "investments" in the sense of something bought with the intent of later selling them for a profit. They're consumables -- something that you buy to use, with the idea that they'll be gradually less valuable over time as you wear them out. So, ROI isn't really a concept that works there. The real test is cost of ownership -- what are you paying, per year, for what you're getting? And at least when it comes to roughly comparable cars (e.g., Nissan Leaf versus Nissan Versa, or the EV versus gas version of the Mini Cooper), for most buyers the cost of ownership, measured over a five-year term, will be lower for the EV. That math can vary depending on how high gas prices are, how many miles you drive, and other factors, but at the averages, the EV's are cheaper.

Now, maybe for you it's different. Maybe you almost never drive anywhere, such that the gas and maintenance savings from an EV are lower for you relative to the initial cost premium, and you'd do better with a gas-powered vehicle (assuming you don't care about the environment). But for a lot of people, they're going to be the better purchase, just in terms of dollars and cents.

no one is claiming cars are investments, however I would rather trade trucks every few years for a few thousand vs trading EVs for 30,000, Between personal and business miles, I average about 60k per year, making an EV unpractical and a super loser

no one is claiming cars are investments, however I would rather trade trucks every few years for a few thousand vs trading EVs for 30,000, Between personal and business miles, I average about 60k per year, making an EV unpractical and a super loser

OK. My own view of trucks is that they're generally ways that men with erectile disfunction try to cope with their insecurity. Most of those who drive trucks don't really need them -- only very rarely hauling something that couldn't be hauled without one. And what's amazing is how expensive they can be. It's like buying a luxury vehicle. You can easily spend over $80k on a new F-150, depending what bells and whistles you get. And, unlike with an EV, that expense triggers future higher expenses, since it winds up being such a fuel hog -- getting barely 20 mpg.

But, I guess in both cases part of what you're paying for is the message it sends to others, whether it's "I care about our shared environment," for someone buying a Nissan Leaf, or "I can't get hard any more" for someone buying a truck.

Back