Reality check on electric cars

Electric ferry runs out of battery – Rescued by fossil fuel police boat

"The Ika Rere, a brand new vessel and the first electric powered ferry in the southern hemisphere just had to be rescued after running out of battery in the harbor, leaving the vessel stranded without any power!

Luckily help was on the way, with a fossil fuel powered police boat coming to rescue the stranded passengers.

After successfully rescuing the passengers, the police boat went back out to tug the electric ferry back to port."

"The Ika Rere, a brand new vessel and the first electric powered ferry in the southern hemisphere just had to be rescued after running out of battery in the harbor, leaving the vessel stranded without any power!

Luckily help was on the way, with a fossil fuel powered police boat coming to rescue the stranded passengers.

After successfully rescuing the passengers, the police boat went back out to tug the electric ferry back to port."

I'm genuinely curious how you think new technology arises. See this computer that you use for 99% of the stuff you do in your job and your freetime? Yeah, some of us remember when these didn't exist and the first ones weren't as powerful as what you have today.

Take it from people who have a longer view of history and a deeper understanding of how technology develops.

Heh. Maybe it's time to return to sailing craft. Anyone for returning to the era of the tall ships? They are, after quite beautiful.

1664912910406-png.1097733

Well, they could add a diesel generator to charge the boat's batteries. That'd fix the problem...! :awesome:

Wrong! I want what works and makes sense. EV's do neither of those things wll.

LOL. Do you base your opinions on NOT KNOWING what you are talking about?

I've owned a full EV for 3 years now. Don't pay for gas. Charge for free on my solar.

Yes, there ARE some risks with an EV, but remember in your gasoline powered car you are driving on a mass of highly flammable stuff....and sometimes that stuff catches fire too.

I've owned a full EV for 3 years now. Don't pay for gas. Charge for free on my solar.

Yes, there ARE some risks with an EV, but remember in your gasoline powered car you are driving on a mass of highly flammable stuff....and sometimes that stuff catches fire too.

How much did your solar PV system cost to be installed? How much did you pay for a charging station, I assume you have? You owning an EV means nothing on its own so that in and of itself is irrelevant.

How much did your solar PV system cost to be installed?

I don't recall now, it's been so long ago. (Did I mention I don't pay electricity bills either? Yeah, that's cool).

How much did you pay for a charging station,

$250.

I assume you have? You owning an EV means nothing on its own so that in and of itself is irrelevant.

LOL. Unlike you I don't pay for gas, I don't pay electricity bills, I have almost no maintenance cost on my EV (no oil to change!).

I'd say on any given day I'm coming out ahead and you are just bitching about how much stuff costs. The stuff you pay for every day I get free.

That's because I got a good job, get paid well and live my values.

All I see form folks like you are whiners in the cheap seats. You are nothing in my world.

But not from driving through a puddle.

I don't recall now, it's been so long ago. (Did I mention I don't pay electricity bills either? Yeah, that's cool).

Instead, you paid for 15 to 20 years of electricity up front in having solar panels installed so, you really saved nothing. You just paid for solar electricity instead of conventional generated electricity. Oh, I hope you don't have to sell your house. You'll be amazed at how having solar panels is a deal breaker for many buyers, particularly if they're leased...

So, you got some bottom end, shitty, takes forever charging station hum?

LOL. Unlike you I don't pay for gas, I don't pay electricity bills, I have almost no maintenance cost on my EV (no oil to change!).

I'd say on any given day I'm coming out ahead and you are just bitching about how much stuff costs. The stuff you pay for every day I get free.

That's because I got a good job, get paid well and live my values.

Is your car a Tesla? You are paying way more in insurance than I do if so. If it's another model of EV, you still pay way more too. I own two pickup trucks. One has over 250,000 miles on it and is 22 years old. It still runs great. Total maintenance to date on it might amount to $5,000 bucks. Beats you having to replace the battery pack any day.

An oil change is only about $25 these days, so that's chump change compared to a new battery every 5 to 7 years...

An oil change is only about $25 these days, so that's chump change compared to a new battery every 5 to 7 years...

I have had the same battery on my Prius for 15 years now. But I do not seen an oil change for $25 in a while. I would never go to Jiffylube, but they are about the cheapest around. Their regular price for conventional oil is $49.99, but you probably want to get full synthetic at $109.99.

Actually, I am wrong about the battery. I have had to change the regular battery in the Prius, as does anyone with an ICE car. Yes, that costs a bit too.

The fact is that EV engines are just simpler, and can be made to be cheaper to repair.

Instead, you paid for 15 to 20 years of electricity up front in having solar panels installed so, you really saved nothing. You just paid for solar electricity instead of conventional generated electricity. Oh, I hope you don't have to sell your house. You'll be amazed at how having solar panels is a deal breaker for many buyers, particularly if they're leased...

So, you got some bottom end, shitty, takes forever charging station hum?

Is your car a Tesla?

Keep trying! Keep looking for any loophole. I'm going to drive all over town today and NOT PAY A CENT.

You are paying way more in insurance than I do if so.

OOPSY, wrong again! Not only did you get the wrong make and model of my car but you don't know I've been driving for about 45 years now with exactly one traffic ticket about 40 years ago. My insurance rate is probably well below yours.

I don't even have to pay that. But you keep looking for loopholes.

Back