Religion

I'll get pissed at whom ever I please.
I might ask you next time, how bout you hold your breath waiting

Look numbnuts, if you want to be pissed at christians because of the cost of tuition at a private school, thats your business. But don't pretend you have some grievance against religion because the public schools suck. The catholics in question saw that and did something about it. And in so doing, did you a service.

I don't care what cult members you hang with.
My experience higher education = less pagan worshiping

You might want to try expanding your experiences to include more than just accountants and dopeheads.

you might want to try other than cults and klansman

I have all sorts of folks of folks in my circle. The difference between us is that I don't have to try and tear other people down to feel better about myself.

If you don't want to be religious, thats just fine. But your insults and bullshit just because not everyone believes just like you do? Yeah, thats great.

I guess you are proof that money can buy an education, but it sure can't buy class.

I could care less what a cult member thinks is class.
Religion and other supernatural beliefs has no place in politics.

I know I'm basically alone in that opinion.

I was not interpreting government bodies, just religious institutions and authorities. All of those factors lead to conformity.

Yet there is no mention of religion or religious bodies here:

"How conformist are you, though? How much of your life is dictated by the society of Hong Kong? Many times that you critique American problems (obesity, gay marriage debate, rural culture) you tend point out that your government and society would never tolerate (i.e. allow independent thought or action) such silliness?"

I could care less what a cult member thinks is class.
Religion and other supernatural beliefs has no place in politics.

I know I'm basically alone in that opinion.

I agree with you. I have argued numerous times that it has no place.

But that doesn't mean those people of faith are ignorant, uneducated or whatever.

no it doesn't
but I'll stick with my mocking, higher education usually results in less belief in the supernatural

I didn't think you would stop with the mocking. I guess you will also keep whining when someone mocks you back?

I could care less, too many people have died in the name of religion for me to stop mocking comic book believers in regards to it's involvment in politics.

crusade on crusader

Even if we accept that man has been 'spiritual' for eons, never before have we had the knowledge recently gleaned from Hubble and several other space telescopes and, in seven years, the James Webb telescope that can show speeding galaxies still in their first seconds of existence at the far corners of the universe.

First of all, it doesn't matter if you accept it or not, them's the facts. Man has been spiritual for as long as there has been man, as best we can tell. Science discoveries haven't changed a thing. If anything, they point to the wonder and fascination in God's work. With all the knowledge and wisdom we have gleaned, there are still 95% of us with the unshakable need to worship something greater than self. That's just a strange and odd attribute to have for no apparent reason, it defies everything we've ever learned about any species of life. We have to conclude there must be some fundamental reason for the attribute, it doesn't exist simply because man is ignorant, as you insist.

The reason for the invention of the various gods no longer exists.

Then why is this attribute found in 95% of humans? Again... Science tells us that living creatures never display behaviors for no reason.

The bible, for instance, tells us nothing about life in all its aspects, that we do not now know from scientific exploration.

This is like saying Shakespeare is wholly inadequate literature because it has taught you nothing of how to repair your appliances! The Bible is not intended or designed to explore scientific possibilities! One is spiritual knowledge, the other is Physical knowledge... we've covered the differences already. The Bible tells you how you can have eternal salvation, Science doesn't even ponder eternal salvation...but, it's not expected to.

It can also be shown (no I will not) that far from helping man's quest for reason, the bible (for bible read whichever holy book you hold in high regard) has hindered it.

I disagree. Without the guidance of the Bible, we'd still be living in the Dark Ages. Without human spirituality, we'd still be swinging from trees. Religious belief is responsible for far more GOOD in the world, than BAD. You can point to exceptions, the Christian Crusades... the Taliban... but as a whole... Gandhi and Mother Theresa, the Unitarians who started the abolitionist movement... the Salvation Army... Sacred Heart Mission... millions of missionaries, treating people with disease and feeding the starving... many sacrificing their own lives for the 'greater good' ...I think the evidence is overwhelming here. We're a far better place because of Religion.

Religious teachings have had to change more during the last century than in their entire prior existence. They have had to change because man's knowledge has overtaken the supposed word of the various gods, goddesses and goddettes..

Man has become smarter than God? Is that what you are arguing now? I'm sorry, I disagree. While religious views may have reformed with society, the foundational basis of human spirituality remains unchanged. We still have the intractable need to worship. Look at how strongly you are worshiping your beliefs, here in this very thread... You're a smart man, you have intelligence and science, why do you need to argue with the ignorant masses about religion? But here you are... arguing away... trying desperately to convince 95% of us there is no God. Yes, worship is a very strong human attribute.

So, all that remains is a personal requirement by some, for the comfort of a huge father figure and an entity to take the blame and responsibility that some people cannot take upon themselves. I don't have a problem with that. Take that comfort and enjoy it, but please do not try to substitute this imaginary comfort blanket for the fantastic discoveries, yes and questions, that science has brought us.

Why not substitute them? That's what you are doing! Mixing the physical world with the spiritual world in a game of oneupmanship. Oh..Science can't prove Religion, so it must not be true! ...There is no physical evidence of God, so he must not be real!

You, my friend, are a worshiper just like the rest of us.... you are a worshiper of Science. But now... how many times in the past 100 years, has Science had to change its views, because man's intelligence overtook the theories of some scientist-Gods? Seems that works both ways!

Man's creation of a god in his own image, while giving comfort to some and power to others is sold harder than baked beans and Disney. They all share a commonality. They are all dispensable.
Finally please, never, never preach as truth, the fairy tales of theism without first describing them as such.

Again.... According to your God, Darwin.... if man's need to worship were "dispensable" he would have discarded the attribute from the species thousands of years ago. So.... either Saint Darwin is wrong, or humankind has a fundamental and foundational need to worship. They always have and always will, and without it, we are not human.

Yet there is no mention of religion or religious bodies here:

"How conformist are you, though? How much of your life is dictated by the society of Hong Kong? Many times that you critique American problems (obesity, gay marriage debate, rural culture) you tend point out that your government and society would never tolerate (i.e. allow independent thought or action) such silliness?"

Nor should there have been. You referenced religious forces (not government ones), and I responded with a comparison to the secular forces of culture and government.

wait you are not religeous but we would be in the dark ages without the killing crusaders comic book the bible. LOFL thanks

It's "religious" not "religeous", Mr. Highly-Educated Pinhead! Looks like your money wasn't wasted on spelling, huh?

I am personally not religious. Most of my immediate family is Christian. I respect their views, and much of what is in the Bible, and I think of the Bible as an inspirational source of guidance. I am non-religious because I don't believe in denomination as a prerequisite for belief in God. I have a spiritual connection and understanding of the force in the universe which controls everything, and I am tapped in to that connection on a daily basis. I don't believe in the physical interpretations of God, generally found in religious teachings. I don't think God has human attributes, he doesn't "get mad" or "feel sorry" ...he is not a he... or a she... I believe there is a spiritual existence beyond this life in this universe, and we will travel on to that existence after we die, and where we go will depend largely on how we conducted ourselves here, with this opportunity. The Creator will determine which road we take, based on how we lived this life. There is really not a "judgment" other than this, more of a refinement or distilling process. What we call the "human spirit" will continue to exist in another form, in another place, perhaps in another dimension or universe, on a higher or lower level.

you are not religious but you are dumb as a brick
please read up on the christians killing those not lining up with the comic book. Like those seeking science etc.

fucking alabubba cousin marrier

yeah if I was peddling the snake oil that christianity got us out of the dark ages I'd skip the whole murderous crusades as well.
Dixtard

Curious that some here claim to be followers of Christ but apparently deny knowing what that entails.

yeah if I was peddling the snake oil that christianity got us out of the dark ages I'd skip the whole murderous crusades as well.
Dixtard

Well just how long ago were the Crusades? And while we're on the topic, why were they fought? Never mind, I already know the rhetoric. If you only look at the Quakers and Unitarians who brought our moral conscience to the forefront on the horrors of slavery... just that one little thing... that's enough to justify a few blips on the radar of Christian misgiving. Yeah, during the Crusades, a lot of people died, but most of them were heathen scumbucket maggots like you, who didn't deserve to breathe our air. None of that has a thing to do with my point, that human spirituality is what brought us out of the dark ages, and the trees in the jungle for that matter. You've really offered nothing to refute that, and have resorted to eighth-grade insults and quips. Pitiful.

Back