Rough morning

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus

Prevention[edit]
Unlike many infectious diseases, recovery from naturally acquired tetanus does not usually result in immunity to tetanus. This is due to the extreme potency of the tetanospasmin toxin. Tetanospasmin will likely be lethal before it will provoke an immune response.
Tetanus can be prevented by vaccination with tetanus toxoid.[25] The CDC recommends that adults receive a booster vaccine every ten years,[26] and standard care practice in many places is to give the booster to any patient with a puncture wound who is uncertain of when he or she was last vaccinated, or if he or she has had fewer than three lifetime doses of the vaccine. The booster may not prevent a potentially fatal case of tetanus from the current wound, however, as it can take up to two weeks for tetanus antibodies to form.[27]
In children under the age of seven, the tetanus vaccine is often administered as a combined vaccine, DPT/DTaP vaccine, which also includes vaccines against diphtheria and pertussis. For adults and children over seven, the Td vaccine (tetanus and diphtheria) or Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussis) is commonly used.[25]
The World Health Organisation certifies countries as having eliminated maternal or neonatal tetanus. Certification requires at least two years of rates of less than 1 case per 1000 live births. In 1998 in Uganda

If it will make you feel better I had a much worse day than you exactly a year ago today. That morning my niece, who is who was about your age, died unexpectedly from heart failure. To add insult to injury today is also my birthday and anniversary. Needless to say my wife and I don't feel much like celebrating.

I'm sorry for your loss, Mott. She was much too young to die.

Norah

First I am sorry that you had a bad day. It happens, but days like that always makes us appreciative of what is truly precious in life

Second, please for the love of all that is holy do not take advice from idiots like Jarod and Mott.

First of all the idiot (so called biologist) Mott can't even spell tetanus.

Please allow me to dispel the outright falsehoods that Mott is passing off as knowledge. And you don't have to take my word for it, verify for yourself

1) you are at no more increased risk for acquiring tetanus by being around horses than the general population being around any soil.
2) horses are at high risk for tetanus and therefore get immunized yearly which is probably what led Mott to his erroneous conclusion.
3) tetanus is caused by Clostridium tetani which is an anaerobic bug that likes soil. There is a myth that the rust in rusty nails cause tetanus. Again, not true. The rust just provides the environment for the bacteria of live and of course being a sharp object provides the means for inoculating the body with the bacterium
4) if your wound is superficial/minor and you have had three doses of tetanus toxoid and it's been less than five years since your last then you do not need another shot. Since you said your last tetanus was two years ago, you should be fine. Just keep the wound clean and dry. If you are concerned however, don't take the advice of some schmuck like me on the internet. Go to a minute clinic/urgent care.
5) before I got to the end, I was going to tell you to check your gas cap. It is one of the most common triggers of a check engine light. Sounds like that was the ticket.

The only thing more frustrating than the type of idiocy displayed by Mott in this thread is his attempt to push that idiocy on others.

Have a blessed day
From Wiki:

Tetanus is caused by the tetanus bacterium*Clostridium tetani.[20]*Tetanus is often associated with*rust, especially rusty nails. Objects that accumulate rust are often found outdoors, or in places that harbour anaerobic bacteria, but the rust itself does not cause tetanus nor does it contain more*C.*tetanibacteria. The rough surface of rusty metal merely provides a prime habitat for*C.*tetaniendospores to reside in (due to its high*surface area), and the nail affords a means to puncture skin and deliver endospores deep within the body at the site of the wound.[21]

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

If it will make you feel better I had a much worse day than you exactly a year ago today. That morning my niece, who is who was about your age, died unexpectedly from heart failure. To add insult to injury today is also my birthday and anniversary. Needless to say my wife and I don't feel much like celebrating.
Has it been a year, can't believe it.

Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday.

I am so busy getting my house in order and starting life in Texas, so far it has been wonderful.

From Wiki:

Tetanus is caused by the tetanus bacterium*Clostridium tetani.[20]*Tetanus is often associated with*rust, especially rusty nails. Objects that accumulate rust are often found outdoors, or in places that harbour anaerobic bacteria, but the rust itself does not cause tetanus nor does it contain more*C.*tetanibacteria. The rough surface of rusty metal merely provides a prime habitat for*C.*tetaniendospores to reside in (due to its high*surface area), and the nail affords a means to puncture skin and deliver endospores deep within the body at the site of the wound.[21]

Sent from my Lenovo K52e78 using Tapatalk

glad to see you accept science and wiki

Back