Rough morning

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/10437083/...-redistricting-heads-high-court/#.WA5E94WcHIU

WASHINGTON *— The Supreme Court said Monday it would consider the constitutionality of a Texas congressional map engineered by Rep. Tom DeLay that helped Republicans gain seats in Congress.
The 2003 boundaries helped Republicans win 21 of the state’s 32 seats in Congress in the last election— up from 15. They were approved amid a nasty battle between Republican leaders and Democrats and minority groups in Texas.
The contentiousness also reached Washington, where the Justice Department approved the plan although staff lawyers concluded that it diluted minority voting rights. Because of past discrimination against minority voters, Texas is required to get Justice Department approval for any voting changes to ensure they don’t undercut minority voting.
Justices will consider a constitutional challenge to the boundaries filed by various opponents. The court will hear two hours of arguments in four separate appeals. Lawyers have been told the case will be argued March 1, so the outcome could affect 2006 elections.
The legal battle at the Supreme Court was over the unusual timing of the Texas redistricting, among other things. Under the Constitution, states must adjust their congressional district lines every 10 years to account for population shifts.

post 82

I'm so sad you decided to leave the country Rana. ;)
At times I am, too. Then I saw the snowfall in Anchorage and I felt better. I got my first political propaganda in the mail, Oh, lord. Researched my Congress critters and it hit me, Ted Cruz is my Congress person, I am in a strange land.

Absolutely, we are South of Cypress, North of Katy, West Houston. The weather has been absolutely beautiful.

Oh that's cool, my parents house and hometown is about an hour north of there heading towards College Station. I was there yesterday actually to vote and now I'm back in Abilene which is like over five hours away from where you are.

At times I am, too. Then I saw the snowfall in Anchorage and I felt better. I got my first political propaganda in the mail, Oh, lord. Researched my Congress critters and it hit me, Ted Cruz is my Congress person, I am in a strange land.

He's one of your senators with John Cornyn

It's a good land, not strange :)

Oh that's cool, my parents house and hometown is about an hour north of there heading towards College Station. I was there yesterday actually to vote and now I'm back in Abilene which is like over five hours away from where you are.
I will be near Abilene for a memorial on the 19th. I have family in Abilene.

Never mind, it won't be long before you'll be joining the Daughters of the Revolution.

Yes, I plan to work on changing that. :)

Here is a list of things to eat that will make you very happy to be in Texas

Brisket (Rudys is pretty good but if you ever find yourself near Austin go to the Salt Lick)
Maudie's for good Tex-mex (never pass up a breakfast taco from a truck though)
Whataburger
Blue Bell (you won't get listeria)
Dr Pepper (sort of a food for me at least)

I could live off of whataburger and Dr Pepper if it wasn't so bad to do it

Also in March make sure you go to the Houston rodeo and livestock show since you aren't far from it. I've competed in the livestock show there a lot of times.

I can recommend a whole lot of other things too

Back