Should prostitution be legalized?

Again, it's not what I want to do, but about women respecting themselves and taking responsibility for their own actions.

No, it is about you wanting to take a woman's control away. If she chooses to be a prostitute and is willing to take responsibility for her choice, why do you think the gov't has a right to interfere?

She is harming no one. In fact, she is helping people.

You obviously have no idea what conservatism is. :FootMouth:

I have a very good idea about what classic conservatism is. I know that the religious right has tried to take over the republican party and move it away from classic conservatism.

But we can discuss that in another thread.

My point still stands that the gov't has no right to take away a woman's choice to be a prostitute is she so chooses and is willing to take responsibility for her actions.

No one is harmed. And some people are helped by her chosen career.

Lets save the "What is a conservative" for another thread. I'll start one.

But I am curious why SM thinks the gov't has the right to take away a woman's control over her life if she is willing to take responsibility for her choice and her choice harms no one.

I have a very good idea about what classic conservatism is. I know that the religious right has tried to take over the republican party and move it away from classic conservatism.

But we can discuss that in another thread.

My point still stands that the gov't has no right to take away a woman's choice to be a prostitute is she so chooses and is willing to take responsibility for her actions.

No one is harmed. And some people are helped by her chosen career.
Again, by your statements you don't have a clue. Few liberals do.

Some people can be helped if you go around shooting welfare recipients. That doesn't make your actions correct.

Lets save the "What is a conservative" for another thread. I'll start one.

But I am curious why SM thinks the gov't has the right to take away a woman's control over her life if she is willing to take responsibility for her choice and her choice harms no one.
Society should provide some guidelines for decent behavior.

Again, by your statements you don't have a clue. Few liberals do.

Some people can be helped if you go around shooting welfare recipients. That doesn't make your actions correct.

Ok, save the rhetoric concerning conservatism for another thread and stay on topic.

"My point still stands that the gov't has no right to take away a woman's choice to be a prostitute is she so chooses and is willing to take responsibility for her actions.

No one is harmed. And some people are helped by her chosen career."

Was what I said. And you respond with some lame ass comment about shooting welfare recipients? And you complain about me making a caricature of your argument?

Please note the "No one is harmed" portion of my statement. I know you would prefer to pick and choose which words to read and which to ignore, but that is hardly proper debate technique.

The gov't should not have the right to take away control over these women's choice of career, if they take responsibility for their choice AND no one is harmed.

Understand now?

We do not exist as a nation to protect people from self-denigration. Make laws about age, about health safety, but let people choose if and when they are denigrated, SM.

It isn't the government's role to dictate to this level of your existence, and seeing a "conservative" argue that the government should enter into this level of any person's life kind of makes me ick up a bit in the back of my throat. The government can't stop you from making poor choices, that is the foundation of the freedoms that we used to enjoy and we fight to return to.

Society should provide some guidelines for decent behavior.

So you get to decide what two consenting adults do in private?

Based on "Society should provide some guidelines for decent behavior"?

You have not proposed that we make premarital sex illegal. Just that it be illegal if money is involved.

We do not exist as a nation to protect people from self-denigration. Make laws about age, about health safety, but let people choose if and when they are denigrated, SM.

It isn't the government's role to dictate to this level of your existence, and seeing a "conservative" argue that the government should enter into this level of any person's life kind of makes me ick up a bit in the back of my throat. The government can't stop you from making poor choices, that is the foundation of the freedoms that we used to enjoy and we fight to return to.

Now that bears repeating:

The government can't stop you from making poor choices, that is the foundation of the freedoms that we used to enjoy and we fight to return to

The prostitute is harmed by denigration.

Horseshit. She is harmed when she is arrested. If you look at the women working in Nevada, they are not denigrated.

And most importantly, reread what Damo said:

"Make laws about age, about health safety, but let people choose if and when they are denigrated"

Horseshit. She is harmed when she is arrested. If you look at the women working in Nevada, they are not denigrated.

And most importantly, reread what Damo said:

"Make laws about age, about health safety, but let people choose if and when they are denigrated"
Damo has a different opinion; mine is the correct one.

Damo has a different opinion; mine is the correct one.

You keep insisting that it is the correct one. However, you offer no evidence to prove such.

The denigration of prostitutes is largely due to the fact that their activity is illegal.

Legalize it and it would become another career choice. The prostitutes in Nevada don't seem to suffer. In fact, there are waiting lists to join many brothels.

What other argument do you have?

You keep insisting that it is the correct one. However, you offer no evidence to prove such.

The denigration of prostitutes is largely due to the fact that their activity is illegal.

Legalize it and it would become another career choice. The prostitutes in Nevada don't seem to suffer. In fact, there are waiting lists to join many brothels.

What other argument do you have?
Post 39. *shrug*

Back