Should this warrent the death penalty?

While he will hopefully pay, emotionally; it will be society that pays for everything else: ie. food, housing, medical, clothing, etc.

It was always going to be that way. Nassar was not charged or convicted of any crime that would be eligible for the death penalty.

??"...nothing..."??

Nothing.

Because sometimes people are wrongly convicted, and you can't revive a dead person and set them free if it turns out they were innocent.

Besides, the judge was speaking figuratively, because Nassar will die in prison unless he gets a reduced sentence on appeal.

Nothing.

Because sometimes people are wrongly convicted, and you can't revive a dead person and set them free if it turns out they were innocent.

Besides, the judge was speaking figuratively, because Nassar will die in prison unless he gets a reduced sentence on appeal.

Then let's not charge anyone with a crime; because you can't really rebuild someone's reputation when they've had to go through all the legal process.
You know, like the Duke Lacrosse players.

Then let's not charge anyone with a crime; because you can't really rebuild someone's reputation when they've had to go through all the legal process.
You know, like the Duke Lacrosse players.

If I'd said that, you'd have a point. Since I didn't, you don't.

As a society we can't refuse to prosecute crimes because some allegations turn out to be false, but we can refuse to kill people who might turn out to be innocent.

I'm pro-life.

While I agree that false accusations are fraught with horrific consequences for the wrongly-accused, they don't include a government-inflicted fatality on the convicted in non-capital cases.

If you want to urge legislatures to mandate serious prison sentences for people who knowingly wrongly accuse others, fine.

If I'd said that, you'd have a point. Since I didn't, you don't.

As a society we can't refuse to prosecute crimes because some allegations turn out to be false, but we can refuse to kill people who might turn out to be innocent.

I'm pro-life.

While I agree that false accusations are fraught with horrific consequences for the wrongly-accused, they don't include a government-inflicted fatality on the convicted in non-capital cases.

If you want to urge legislatures to mandate serious prison sentences for people who knowingly wrongly accuse others, fine.

So you're hypocrisy concerning guilt, only goes so far. :good4u:

Did you just overlook or forget about the part of the thread title, where it said "should"??

I suspect that Solitary was struck by the incongruity of the thread title, since no capital sentence was passed or even possible. I agree that the judge should be censured for her statement, which was uncalled for, in my view.

Nothing.

Damn, this may be the first time I've wanted to thank your post Legion.

Nothing.

minimum sentence is 40 years......he's in his sixties.....ain't gonna happen....

I suspect that Solitary was struck by the incongruity of the thread title, since no capital sentence was passed or even possible. I agree that the judge should be censured for her statement, which was uncalled for, in my view.

I applaud the Judge for her comment.
It's about time that these criminals face up to facts.

The topic is about one inmate. I was only talking about whether one inmate should be executed or not. But, as I have said before, since he was not convicted of a capital offense, he was never going to be executed.

If you insist on talking only about one person, that means your calculations are useless in addition to being inaccurate.

Back